• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Music on or off?

I really like the music in the animal crossing games so, usually, it's either on or I mute the whole game.

As for other games, usually off so I can play my own music in the background, unless it is a horror game or a very story-rich game, as I want to be immersed.

Most of the time I've got the music on but if the game doesn't really rely on sound to play and I'm doing something grindy I'll play my own music. Like if I'm clearing a large area in minecraft or hatching eggs in pokemon. I can't stand to play in complete silence though so it's always one of those.

Both. Sometimes I'll turn it off simply because I have my own music playing on YouTube or something. New Horizons is a game that if I could, I would just turn off or turn it down for the sole purpose of not wanting to hear the game's music. You can only listen to 2PM for so long.

music on!! especially if it's animal crossing or mario kart (the only two things im picking up and playing rn). though when i used to play a tanks game or roblox (where it was just sound effects sometimes) i either had the radio on or my own music playing

Music on is a must for me! I can't imagine playing with it off unless I'm grinding. Only then will I turn the volume down to make things less mind numbing.

I will at the very least turn down the background music, if not off entirely. It has to have a good OST for me to leave it on.

this made me think so hard about how i play, haha. i think it depends so heavily on the game for how long and how loud i will play the music, but i almost always listen to the music of a game in some capacity.

i feel like it really contributes to the atmosphere of a game. i love the crickets and the grass moving in breath of the wild. i love the tension and desolation of battle fields in the witcher. i love the silliness of rainbow road. i love the austere and heart-string strumming score of spiritfarer. i love the fight sequence clangs and boon pops of hades. etc. etc. i love how a game immerses you so fully with sound. but there are some games like (sadly) acnh where i feel dissatisfied with the leveling on certain sounds and also the game music itself. that i tend to listen to less or only in specific instances, such as terraforming? 😂 i find the rock swoosh comforting.

i just love the soundscapes ! there's so much detail that goes into them. and i used to do sound design so i know how labor intensive it is omg.

sidecomment but we got the new oled switch and something abt the sound on it is a lot more crisp than the ac switch we have. i've been sorta rediscovering details in games.

i always have the game's audio on, even if it's through headphones! i feel like it'll help me not miss things and sets the theme/goes with the atmosphere of the game a lot of the time. if it's something i've played a million times and don't really mind listening to something other than the soundtrack, i'll have other music play instead. but if it's a new game or a game that has a soundtrack i love, i'll 100% have the sound on to jam along

I leave it on because I hate total silence unless it is part of a section in a game. I constantly have noise when I’m home in my apartment. Sometimes I just play YouTube videos on my tv as background noise. The only time my apartment is completely silent other than when I first get home is when I’m asleep for the night. Very rarely does a game have a song that I completely hate.

I play with it on but genuinely rarely ever recall what the music sounds like. Then I'll go back and listen to an OST and be like "oh wait, I know this!"

I usually play with the music on. Very rarely will I mute a game's music in order to listen to my own, but it does happen.

Sound Design is very important to me. Even if I watch YouTube, I'd still like to hear that.

90% of the time on. It's part of the game to me! There are the few exceptions but it's usually weird to not hear the game while playing.

To be fully immersed, I have to have the music on! That being said, there are times that I don't, usually if I'm at a particularly grind-y part of the game.

I almost always play with both sound and music off, and I usually put on music that I actually wanna listen to.

A big exception to this is Stardew Valley, I love the music and sounds in that game.

Usually on. Most games don’t even have the option to turn it off. However, there was this one time I did a whole playthrough of Fire Emblem Path of Radiance with the music off and sound effects still on, and it was definitely a unique experience.

I always leave the music on when playing seriously. The only time it's off is if I'm grinding or doing something repetitive or something that doesn't require my full attention. For those, I'll usually turn everything down and watch a stream for background noise.

The sound is such an important part of immersion; without it, I feel like I'll be distracted from the game.

Back