• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Depressing Thread of Sad Video Game Music

If I may propel you good folks into a spiral of sad, Omori is primed and prepped for this:

I listened to these songs during a big bout of depression years ago.
Child of Light OST-Aurora's Theme
Child of Light OST-Pilgrims on a Long Journey
This one is definitely ugly crying music. Child of Light OST-Leave Your Castle

Pretty much most of the songs from Gris considering the theme of grief.

I don't really like her in general, but this theme is tear jerking.

I don't really have anything to say. It's just sad.

This is a basic pick, but it's still pretty sad. Out of all of these, the saddest one to me is the first one.

I don't know if people would call this sad, but I am someone to find music sad easily. I much prefer Breeze/Breezy. ^^

These would be my top picks, in no order:

Apparently the individual songs have been taken down, but skip to 36:46 for the sad song:

I usually imagine the ending theme from Red and Blue Rescue Team (why was Skitty genderlocked in the originals, thankfully it got fixed), or Baladium's Drive and the Song of Rebirth from Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.

I don’t listen to video game music when I’m sad, but I found this soundtrack since it sounds depressing:

If you don’t remember, this was the original closing time music for Tom Nook’s Store.

congratulations to Professor Layton for being incomprehensibly depressing for absolutely no reason.

despite being instrumental, you can tell this song is sad. it gives off a bittersweet and somewhat nostalgic feel.

i always listen to this song when my day seems to be too good.

I would've put that one obvious PMD song but it's already been posted twice, haha. But here are some others I thought of. I would post more, but there's a limit to how many can embed.

the good ending and bad ending themes from five nights at freddy’s 3 never fail to leave me with chills, a pit in my stomach, and an overwhelming sense of melancholy.

the bad ending theme hurts the most, especially with the visual for it— the lights are on inside the animatronics, signifying that they’re still inhabited by the souls of the missing children. the player has failed to free them; they still don’t get to rest. the theme embodies the disappointment, sadness, anger, and even the childlike innocence that still remains in their souls perfectly. it’s heartbreakingly beautiful music, but i can’t listen to it often unless i want to depress myself haha

the good ending theme is just as melancholic to me, but for different reason. the souls of the missing children are at least free, and they finally get to rest and know the peace that they’ve yearned for for so long; but everything that happened to them and that they went through was still heart-wrenching and horrific, and the music captures that well. they’re finally free and can never be harmed again, but their lives and their childhood were robbed from them. the music embodies the bittersweet relief of their freedom, the haunting reminder of everything that happened that led to this point, and the grief and sadness for the lives that the missing children should have gotten to live.

I decided to add a couple more songs. I hope that's okay.
As you can tell, I really like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I actually had a hard time choosing which song to post from Gates to Infinity.

Back