• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What makes that video game soundtrack a memorable video game music for you?

Yanrima~

History-loving Princess
Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
I've been inspired to make this thread from the post I made about Wii and DS music being extremely memorable in "place your random thoughts" thread.

I think it's more on how to music composers approach on the way they do video game music by either placing an reoccurring leitmotif or made the catchiest tune. I sometimes think the video game music could be memorable when the composer puts dedication onto composing that piece.

I think Wii and DS music are extremely memorable for me because they're straight up catchy. I remember the entirety of Mario kart wii OST because they're just super catchy.

Splatoon does have it's fair share of memorable music with "Splatattack" and most of the ost of Octo Expansion which is what I remembered the most in Splatoon's soundtrack.

I decided to ask you this question because I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about it. What makes a video game music memorable for you?

Last edited:
The main thing is if the songs from the game are just good. I don't care what type of music the game uses, as long as it sounds good I'll probably remember it. If the leitmotif of the game is good and it used it a lot, that definitely improves the music too.

I think one of the main things that make an OST memorable is quite simply if the developers of the game allow the OST to shine. Older games were particularly good with this, because there wasn't a lot of dialogue or cutscenes to compete with attention for the music. So naturally, a lot of time is going to spent listening to the music, so it's fortunate then that there were so many talented composers in that era.

That's not to say you can't have a good or memorable OST in a modern game with cutscenes and dialogue as well (and I can name a few that really do) but there should be moments in the game where you're allowed to be absorbed in the atmosphere, rather than fed plot or gameplay at all times. There have been a few occasions where I've been told that a game that I otherwise enjoyed had great music, but I won't remember any of it, so I'll listen on YouTube and think "How could this have not made an impression on me at the time?" And the answer I come to is that it's because the game just plays the music where it feels it appropriate, but doesn't actually show you the music. It just sort of plays in the background.

Of course, none of this is even possible without a good composer and skilled musicians to bring the music to life. Even if a game presents the music very well, if the track isn't catchy or emotionally resonant, then all that effort would be wasted. But I do think it's important to consider not only the the soundtrack by the virtue of its merits divorced from gameplay, but also the context through which players are exposed to it.

I've posted this before, but an intense boss battle with an epic song to go with it will usually never leave my brain.

Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts:

Wizpig in Diddy Kong Racing:

Pretty much every video game that i liked has always had a banger soundtrack like anything takeharu ishimoto makes is going to be a banger case in point.

One time I read that the idea when making good videogame music is that you're creating something that is going to be heard for long periods of time, being engaging and fun, helping putting you mind into the game, but at the same time not distracting you from it. I feel like that's what makes good videogame music work and what makes the best ones so memorable.

Playing the game at the right time. Sometimes the soundtrack isn't even good, but in a specific moment, you'll remember it forever.

The City Folk soundtrack was quite comical and simple. But I played it with my brothers during hot summer evenings and during thunderstorms. We'd sit for hours. Now, that soundtrack is engrained into my brain.

Or Minecraft. Minecraft wasn't even a game we were obsessed with, but my brothers and I made up so many stories and habits within the game that when I hear that soundtrack, I can feel the same warm glow I had inside when times were so uncomplicated! Just me, my siblings, us drinking soda and eating snacks, our parents taking naps, and a dimly lit house. So calming!

Probably the atmosphere of the scenery and if the music fits the theme. The Legend of Zelda series is really good at doing this.

Back