• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mandela effect / false memories topic

No it wasn't Catz, there wasn't an ad for that game and I distinctly recall "Nintencats" written in the Nintendogs font style.
But ha! I'm glad to see someone else thought it was a thing.

Something I've never understood is how there's a Mandela effect about what Pikachu's tail looks like.
I'm convinced this is coming from people who aren't really that into Pokemon because I've looked at it and it feels very wrong in my eyes. Pikachu clearly never looked like that?
Though I'm taking a closer look tonight and it mysteriously resembles Cosplay Pikachu's tail (Which is only in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire). I can't imagine why people would've seen that Pikachu enough to be confused. That can't be it, right?
I guess another reason could be that Pichu's tail is solid black or that Pikachu's ears have black tips, but I'm still not really getting it.
Maybe I've just looked at Pikachu too much for it to affect me!
Definitely agree that only people who aren’t well versed into Pokémon would think that the black tip Pikachu is normal. There’s just something really cursed about Pikachi with a black tipped tail.

One I can remember is I used to loveeeeeeeee the 1998 Live Action Madeline movie.

I watched sooooo many times its not funny I learned it all word for word.

In the ending a character comes out as the owner of the orphanage or something I can't remember fully but Madeline hugs them to thank them for not selling the building which would mean she had no where to live.

Anyway I was watching it one day for the 800th time and I was so confused when another character in the same scene was like no I own the building.

Then Madeline hugs them and gives them the same speech I was so confused as I had watched this movie so much that I thought that maybe the movie had 2 alternate endings.

From then on when I watched it was forever the new ending... I stopped watching cause I thought I was going crazy.

1694522310798.png

Omg I forgot this too but I SWORE until I looked it up that New Leaf had the “bury a shovel to get a golden shovel” thing that was in WW. please tell me that’s how you get it in WW omg crying

View attachment 512718Something that I am the only one to remember, that I googled times and times again, that I know didn't exist but that I still 100% believe I saw is NintenCats.

I swear when I was a child and the first Nintendogs ads for the NDS were broadcasted on TV, they also had a part of the ad featuring Nintencats at the end of the segment.

No, it wasn't Nintendogs +cats because as I said it was from the NDS era. It wasn't a picture I saw on internet either because at that age I couldn't access the computer.

I can just see the cover, it had an orange kitty on it on a beige background, and the text was orange too. I don't know how my brain created that and why I remember it so vividly.
I feel like this was one of those things that had fake online edits spread like they were real, ala Mario Galaxy DS, god I wanted that to be real so bad

Omg I forgot this too but I SWORE until I looked it up that New Leaf had the “bury a shovel to get a golden shovel” thing that was in WW. please tell me that’s how you get it in WW omg crying

I feel like this was one of those things that had fake online edits spread like they were real, ala Mario Galaxy DS, god I wanted that to be real so bad
This is how you get a shovel in Wild World, you bury a shovel with another shovel and dig it up three days later.

On the topic of false memories, I could've sworn the Pokemon Minccino was white when I first saw it. This was before the game came out, so it would've been on Serebii.net.
I started drawing Minccino right after and for a little while I didn't know it was grey. I quickly found out it was grey by the time the game came out, but I was still convinced there was an unused white design and also sometimes drew that one because I liked it more. Well, there was never a white Minccino. Sometime around last week I looked through the web archive and Minccino was even grey in the original magazine scans. I really don't know what happened. Maybe my old computer displayed it wrong...

I seem to recall that the Kursty Krab employee training video episode of SpongeBob ended with the narrator actually listing the secret formula, but it cuts out right by before he does. And it always has.

Keeping with the theme of SpongeBob having missing content that is later confirmed to have never existed, I swear to have seen a grotesque transformation sequence in the episode where Squidward takes care of Gary and accidentally takes snail medicine for himself. But the original writer of that episode even confirmed that it never existed. And some more dedicated members of the fandom have tracked down the original airing of the episode and found the scene to be non-existent. So why do I so vividly remember it?

Wth one of my favorite youtuber found a shiny hoothoot and i swore it had blue eyes ): it doesn’t even in gen 2. what

On the topic of false memories, I could've sworn the Pokemon Minccino was white when I first saw it. This was before the game came out, so it would've been on Serebii.net.
I started drawing Minccino right after and for a little while I didn't know it was grey. I quickly found out it was grey by the time the game came out, but I was still convinced there was an unused white design and also sometimes drew that one because I liked it more. Well, there was never a white Minccino. Sometime around last week I looked through the web archive and Minccino was even grey in the original magazine scans. I really don't know what happened. Maybe my old computer displayed it wrong...
Idk if it was revealed by then but maybe you mixed it up with cinccino’s scarf?

I really didn't do a whole lot research for this, but for the fruit of the loom logo could it possibly be because logos change over the years?

fruit-of-the-loom-logo-evolution.jpg

This company has been around for some time. The logo's in the beginning kind of looked the same, but towards the 60s the leaves changed to a really dried up brown color. I could see people getting that dead leaf color mixed up with a cornucopia that is close in color. Just a thought. The 1962 version does kind of look like the start of a cornucopia that is hidden behind the fruit.

I don't think it's so much them remembering it wrong in that it just wasn't really design that well. From the 60s and 70s it does look like the leaves on the right and left are a cornucopia (in a way I can see it)

It's the same thing with the Hawaiian Punch mascot. I just always assumed his hat was his hair. Not because I remembered it wrong, but because the old mascot didn't really bring that much attention to his head area. Now that his whole image got rebranded it's a lot more noticeable.

Last edited:
These two are because I haven't watched either show in a while:

- In Dora, I thought the Grumpy Old Troll was more orange, like the Lorax.

- In Gravity Falls, I thought the main instrument of the theme song was more like a whistle (it is kind of a whistle, I just remembered it sounding more like a whistle).

Hmmm, I had to dig deep into my mind for this one.
  • The earliest memory I can remember is a time when I was 3 years old, where I thought I was home alone with my younger sister, with both of us standing in front of a childproof gate leading to stairs and looking down at my dog who couldn't be near me. As my Mom later told me, she never left me alone in the house until I was at least 8 years old, and I believe her. Now, I don't even remember if my sister was the one who stood next to me in that memory.
  • For a while, I thought that the pickup truck we had in our household was red up until we got a new, red one in 2003 when I was 3 years old. In reality, the old truck was gray, and it belonged to my Mom. We had the 2003 red truck in our driveway up until 2016 when we traded it in, so maybe that's how I formed that automatic assumption in my mind.
  • I can vividly remember a time when I was around 4-5 years old where I sat in the backseat of my Mom's minivan in our driveway as it was being lifted up by a tow truck, because it wouldn't start and we had no way of moving it. While the minivan indeed started showing mechanical problems around that time, I'm pretty sure the towing company would've been smart enough to not have me be inside the minivan as its being lifted, and my Mom later told me that the minivan was never towed once. An actual false memory? I'm not sure.
  • I can remember watching an early Geico commercial where they had people dancing to the chorus of Donnie Iris' "Love Is Like a Rock" in an office as the screen crossfaded to the Geico logo on a white screen with a URL and its telephone number. As I took a look in YouTube once, I could not find said commercial anywhere. I'm not even sure if such a commercial exists, or if I'm mixing several memories together into one.
  • A common one: I thought it had always been "Sex in the City", but no. It's "Sex and the City".

Back