• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

misheard lyrics or quotes

JemAC

Bells
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
was reminded the other day when a song came on about lyrics i used to sing wrong and got me thinking if I’m the only one who can’t hear songs right the first time or if others have ever sung them wrong too, or maybe someone you know just couldn’t grasp the right lyrics? likewise are there any sayings or quotes you’ve previously misheard/misquoted?

for me there are quite a few songs i misheard when i was younger;

• ‘cry me a river’ by justin timberlake - the line ‘i found out from him’ i thought was ‘my children broke in’
  • ‘worried about ray’ by the hoosiers - ‘truth be told’ i sang as ‘jupitol’ - obviously not a word but thought they meant jupiter and had just got the planet name wrong
  • ‘how you remind me’ by nickelback - embarrassingly this took me the longest to realise i was wrong despite listening to it a lot but i thought ‘living with me must’ve damn near killed you’ was ‘little women must’ve damn near killed you’, like the literal book - just thought maybe they really disliked that story 🙄
overall maybe i should make sure to look up the lyrics before i sing them

also rip hygiene threads I’m currently out of ideas

Well, there’s the classic misheard lyric, from Blank Space by Taylor Swift - “list of ex lovers” as “Starbucks lovers”. I thought it was a new term for couples who met at Starbucks or something.

In Rip Tide by Vance Joy, I always though it was “this guy was runnin’ from himself” but apparently it’s actually “this cowboy’s runnin’ from himself”.

In Send My Love by Adele, it sounds like she’s singing “Send my love to your new lekker/lecker love” more than “Send my love to your new lover”.

Listening to All Star by Smash Mouth as a kid, I thought it was “the meteor men begged the Dipper” instead of “the media men begged to differ”. Because the next line references a satellite picture, my mind filled it in with space-related words.

EDIT: just looked up the lyrics, it is actually “meteor men beg to differ”.

Last edited:
The classic “I like big butts and a can of lime”. Please tell me I’m not the only one, stg all my friends back then misheard it that way but nobody I know these days did

when i was younger i thought caramelldassen was just super broken English because I was like 5 so there's the classic cat ****ing a handbag

younger me always heard the “cause you just might get hurt” lyric in the pussycat dolls’ “when i grow up” as “phineas and ferb” for some reason LOL. i always knew that wasn’t actually the lyric, but younger me couldn’t hear anything else no matter how hard i tried 🤣

someone also pointed out to me that “cause you cut me open, and i” in leona lewis’ “bleeding love” sounds like she’s singing “cause you call me a banana”, and i still can’t unhear it lmao 😭

Black Box’s Ride on Time was created from a misheard lyric from Loleatta Holloway’s song Love Sensation. The guys that remixed Love Sensation to create Ride On Time thought the lyric was that and not “Thank you baby cause you’re right on time.”

I do this literally all the time, with almost any song. I guess I'm really bad at figuring out what people are trying to say lmao

For example I thought in that one annoying song "Can't Hold Us" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, I thought they were saying "Like a silly can holder" instead of "Like the ceiling can't hold us"

i know there's way way more but that's the first that came to mind

I grew up listening to the soundtrack to the movie Dan in Real Life, and up until recently when I found the little book of lyrics that come with it, I thought that one of the lines in the song My Hands are Shaking was “My heart is pounding yes, yes, yes, my mind just said …mmmyes” and always thought that was a weird and lazy lyric choice but it’s actually “My heart is pounding yes, yes, yes, my mind just second-guessed.

Everybody, move your feet until the night ends

that song is still infectious! Doesnt make it a masterpiece, but good song. :)
I think I realised I misheard this quickly but still imagined it in my head lol

Everybody, move your feet until the night ends

that song is still infectious! Doesnt make it a masterpiece, but good song. :)
I think I realised I misheard this quickly but still imagined it in my head lol
Love Junior Senior!

This is going to show my age as this song came out when I was a kid, but "Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks has a lyric that I think is pretty widely misheard; I know I definitely thought she was singing about a "one wing dove", when the correct lyric is "white winged dove" which makes so much more sense. I remember hearing the song as a kid and later performing it at a youth karaoke event and even the screen showed the incorrect lyric, so apparently it's a common thing? A one wing dove though... the thought of that is so sad. :(

you guys know “Heartache Tonight” by The Eagles? I thought it was “Party Tonight” a while back. XDDDD

I had so many when I was a kid. The major one I remember was thinking the lyrics to owner of a lonely heart by yes was in fact "owner of a lonely horse" when I heard it on the radio.

The song "Where Have You Been" by Rihanna had lyrics to the song "Somewhere in the crowd", I always knew she was saying that, yet my mind always wanted to be funny and instead have her saying "Summon the indoor Crow".

Don't know why, I always found that funny.

Not misheard necessarily, but the meaning misinterpreted. Whenever we would watch Space Jam together, one of my siblings and I used to chuckle at the lyrics "I believe I can soar / I see me running through that open door" from R. Kelly's I Believe I Can Fly, because--being the dumb children that we were--we interpreted it like this...
fail-run.gif

"**** the System" (System Of A Down) — For some reason I heard "I'm just the meat in the pie" instead of "I'm just demeaning the pack", and it's honestly one of my favorite misheard lyrics from this band.

"Red Flag" (Billy Talent) — I couldn't quite understand the line "The red flag wavin' never meant the same", so for a while I heard it as "The red-flag women never met the sane" instead. I actually came up with an interpretation for that line before realizing I got it wrong.

"Psychosocial" (Slipknot) — "The limits of the dead" sounded more like "Don't let him set the bed" to me... Yeah, I don't have a good explanation for this one. 😭

There's a lot of misheard lyrics I know of, but those are the three notable ones I can think of at the top of my head.

Last edited:
I didn't mishear song lyrics, but on an episode of the original Powerpuff Girls, Bubbles calls Mojo Jojo a doo-doo brain, I thought she said, "doodle brain".

When I heard this a few weeks ago I thought he said “trust you like a dude” not “trust you like I do” 😭

Back