• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mandela effect / false memories topic

Drawdler

Profile comments open to water flowers 💐✨
Bells
Switch
4463-2469-1897
Island
Gondwana
White Pansy
White Pansy
Purple Violet
White Violet
Yellow Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
I was listening to Around The World when I suddenly remembered like… as a kid I thought I remembered seeing that this was only part of the song and there was a version with more lyrics and I only had this Mandela effect corrected a few years ago.

1693652419729.png

This absolute crap right here. I'm one of the many who swear it was spelt "Berenstein Bears" not "Berenstain Bears".
100% proof that real life is just a simulation 😤

^ haha this is the classic example, along with fruit of the loom and i think there was a third one? I actually dodged all of them because we don’t have this media down here

You know, this whole topic of "Mandela effect" got me thinking: Are there any famous quotes or lines from movies that are memorable either doesn't exist or it's been said differently in an actual scene of the movie where the famous quote come from?

You know, this whole topic of "Mandela effect" got me thinking: Are there any famous quotes or lines from movies that are memorable either doesn't exist or it's been said differently in an actual scene of the movie where the famous quote come from?
I've never actually seen a Star Wars movie in full but I know a famous example of this is that Darth Vader never actually says "Luke, I am your father." He says "No. I am your father."

^ haha this is the classic example, along with fruit of the loom and i think there was a third one? I actually dodged all of them because we don’t have this media down here
I was actually reading a tid bit yesterday about how the fruit of the loom is extra special because the majority of people who are effected swear the cornucopia is the one. Cornucopias are not a common item people are around or think of with fruit vs plates. Plates are items that are way more common to be around or see. Plus, cornucopias are depicted with veggies when looking at decore. Not fruit like so many remember in the fruit of the loom.
Because of this, people who study the Mandela effect find it immensely puzzling and some even go as far as saying that it is proof that there isn't some sort of miscoding of memory (mixing up two common things with each other) and that it is something else. Otherwise the plate fruit of the loom would be the majority.

Decided to just add the image of fruit of the loom.
fruitofloom.png

A

The majority who remember 'wrong' go with C.

Omg my fingers must be getting fatter, typos and auto type is awful this week

Last edited:
You know, this whole topic of "Mandela effect" got me thinking: Are there any famous quotes or lines from movies that are memorable either doesn't exist or it's been said differently in an actual scene of the movie where the famous quote come from
In Casablanca,most people think Humphrey Bogart said "Play it again,Sam" when he actually just said "Play it."

Darth Vader never says "Luke, I am your father" He actually says "No, I am your father"

Mr. Monopoly has had a monocle and you can’t convince me otherwise, but reality is trying to. Besides this, I can’t really think of anything else.

I'm actually not sure if the Star Wars case is an actual example of the Mandela effect or a product of false memories, per se. The "I am your father" scene has been parodied to death, and any time it is, the writers simply add "Luke" so that the context is made clear. I tend to think that when people quote it as "Luke, I am your father," they are simply doing the same. And from one or two times I've had this conversation in real life, when people are confronted about the line being "No, I am your father," the other person is usually confused as to what the point of contention is, often mistaking it for a denial that the iconic "I am your father" scene even took place at all.

As for my own experiences, this phenomenon happens so often that I'm actually struggling to think of a specific example. The first one that comes to mind right now is that for nearly fifteen years, I thought that the song Right Here Waiting was sung by Canadian singer Bryan Adams. And for all those years, nobody has ever corrected me. Then one fateful day, I learned that it is actually sung by American singer Richard Marx. I'm already having a panic attack by the time I listen to the song again for the first time in awhile and realize that Richard Marx doesn't sound even remotely like Bryan Adams, so how in the world did I mistake it for him?!

It makes me furious!!!

Here's another one:
Some people thought that the spelling for "Looney Tunes" is spelt like "Looney Toons"

I'm one of those who thought that it's spelt "Looney Tunes" for the entire time. I'm just baffled at the thought of it being spelled "Looney Toons" considering that I have a fair amount of exposure to the DVDs and classic short shows reruns at Boomerang to remember it.

This isn’t really a Mandela effect per se…but a lot of people who fell asleep with the TV on in the late 2000s have memories of waking up at 3:00 a.m. to the George Lopez Show intro where they’re jumping on a trampoline. Never the middle or end of the show, but the theme song.

I saw one recently about Richard Simmons, many people remember him wearing a headband and people cosplaying him always wear a headband as well but if you look at his photos, he didn't wear one.

You guys know that song "We are the champions" where people think that the song ends with: "Of the world!" But in reality it never did. However, it did in the middle of the song and people swore it only played those lyrics at the end.

I was actually reading a tid bit yesterday about how the fruit of the loom is extra special because the majority of people who are effected swear the cornucopia is the one. Cornucopias are not a common item people are around or think of with fruit vs plates. Plates are items that are way more common to be around or see. Plus, cornucopias are depicted with veggies when looking at decore. Not fruit like so many remember in the fruit of the loom.
Because of this, people who study the Mandela effect find it immensely puzzling and some even go as far as saying that it is proof that there isn't some sort of miscoding of memory (mixing up two common things with each other) and that it is something else. Otherwise the plate fruit of the loom would be the majority.

Decided to just add the image of fruit of the loom.
fruitofloom.png

A

The majority who remember 'wrong' go with C.

Omg my fingers must be getting fatter, typos and auto type is awful this week
I think the reason why some would misremember the logo as the one with either the plate or cornucopia is because the logo itself looks like something you'll see in either Autumn themed decorations or still life paintings. The art style definitely helps with why some people would remember the logo with the things I mentioned above.

As for the whole Berenstain Bears name confusion, it's because of the writing that it's sometimes hard to read since it's written in cursive. That, and the unconventional naming.

I just remembered this really stupid mandela effect where some people thought the title of the show was, "The Flinstones", rather than, "The Flintstones", I have always known that, "The Flintstones", has always been the correct title...

1693967485380.png

Something I've never understood is how there's a Mandela effect about what Pikachu's tail looks like.
I'm convinced this is coming from people who aren't really that into Pokemon because I've looked at it and it feels very wrong in my eyes. Pikachu clearly never looked like that?
Though I'm taking a closer look tonight and it mysteriously resembles Cosplay Pikachu's tail (Which is only in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire). I can't imagine why people would've seen that Pikachu enough to be confused. That can't be it, right?
news18-2-24.jpeg
gh-mandela-effect-template-pikachu-1563918487.png
black-tail-pikachu-mandela-effect-v0-3oeqt4boybdb1.jpg
I guess another reason could be that Pichu's tail is solid black or that Pikachu's ears have black tips, but I'm still not really getting it.
Maybe I've just looked at Pikachu too much for it to affect me!

Here's another one:
Some people thought that the spelling for "Looney Tunes" is spelt like "Looney Toons"

I'm one of those who thought that it's spelt "Looney Tunes" for the entire time. I'm just baffled at the thought of it being spelled "Looney Toons" considering that I have a fair amount of exposure to the DVDs and classic short shows reruns at Boomerang to remember it.
This was about to drive me insane because I still mix it up on occasion or have to double check, and I settled on Looney Tunes, and I thought I would have to adjust again. Lmao

You guys know that song "We are the champions" where people think that the song ends with: "Of the world!" But in reality it never did. However, it did in the middle of the song and people swore it only played those lyrics at the end.
THIS ONE was also gonna drive me crazy because I KNEW it had “of the world” in it but I did not remember it being at the end. Dodged that one.

Something I've never understood is how there's a Mandela effect about what Pikachu's tail looks like.
I'm convinced this is coming from people who aren't really that into Pokemon because I've looked at it and it feels very wrong in my eyes. Pikachu clearly never looked like that?
Though I'm taking a closer look tonight and it mysteriously resembles Cosplay Pikachu's tail (Which is only in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire). I can't imagine why people would've seen that Pikachu enough to be confused. That can't be it, right?
I guess another reason could be that Pichu's tail is solid black or that Pikachu's ears have black tips, but I'm still not really getting it.
Maybe I've just looked at Pikachu too much for it to affect me!
I can tell you for sure this one was around in the 00’s so it’s not because of cosplay Pikachu. It probably just comes from bootleg art and merch. It would also explain why it comes from people who aren’t into Pokemon because they wouldn’t have realised that was bootleg merch anyway.

I think Pokemon fans can also misremember it as being something from the old gens because in gen 1 Pikachu looked very different and they could partially have the tail thing as part of their Mandela effect if they haven’t seen that sprite in ages. Like they have this Mandela effect and they’re aware of the modern design, and they just figure the tail tip must have been part of g1 Pikachu
E776F483-A8B0-4A32-8899-BABAFC70C5A7.png

it could partially be from misremembering the gender-dimorphic tail, but the problem with that is it was introduced in gen 4, and this mandela effect definitely existed before then. I may have been pretty young at the time, but I was breathing Pokemon, and I absolutely remember this being a thing during g3. Besides, i’d be more surprised if a lot of people saw that and got the effect from it. The only other thing i can think of is a variant in the anime or a spinoff game or something if that exists but that would be ridiculously niche so just like the dimorpism it probably wouldn’t be why some people have that effect anyway.

Last edited:
1694011040527.jpeg
Something that I am the only one to remember, that I googled times and times again, that I know didn't exist but that I still 100% believe I saw is NintenCats.

I swear when I was a child and the first Nintendogs ads for the NDS were broadcasted on TV, they also had a part of the ad featuring Nintencats at the end of the segment.

No, it wasn't Nintendogs +cats because as I said it was from the NDS era. It wasn't a picture I saw on internet either because at that age I couldn't access the computer.

I can just see the cover, it had an orange kitty on it on a beige background, and the text was orange too. I don't know how my brain created that and why I remember it so vividly.

View attachment 512718Something that I am the only one to remember, that I googled times and times again, that I know didn't exist but that I still 100% believe I saw is NintenCats.

I swear when I was a child and the first Nintendogs ads for the NDS were broadcasted on TV, they also had a part of the ad featuring Nintencats at the end of the segment.

No, it wasn't Nintendogs +cats because as I said it was from the NDS era. It wasn't a picture I saw on internet either because at that age I couldn't access the computer.

I can just see the cover, it had an orange kitty on it on a beige background, and the text was orange too. I don't know how my brain created that and why I remember it so vividly.
Maybe you were thinking about Catz ds game? Ubisoft.
Orange and white cat with blue background.

I was sure nintencats were a thing but I guess not.

Back