• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hybrid Flower Guide & Research

cityfolkman09 said:
is this a good way 2 make muny???
i remember someone doing a post about how they had a lot of hybrids they wanted to get rid of, and people started having an auction on the post, lol. so if you're willing to sell them to other players, i think the opportunity is very good seeing that other post's success...

I don't know if this helps your research, but I do know that carnations ARE avaliable. I don't know whether or not you get them from Mom/Dad, but my Prima guide says they are an item.

Due to people not understanding X's and typed out charts, I took some pics that will hopefully help people understand more easily.

This is the layout I've found to be best for creating hybrids. When the flowers are planted diagonally like this, you get 12 spots around them where a hybrid can grow.
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
hybrid_spaces.jpg
</div>

I think the next best is diagonal planting in a grid. It can maximize the possible combinations of hybrids, but it also decreases the available spots around each pair for a hybrid to grow. (Note - I am not really trying to get hybrids out of the area in this picture, but I spread out flowers here to help the grass grow back, so please ignore the fact that they are not all tulips) So if you are trying to breed the tulips in this kind of arrangement, you have only 10 available spots for the hybrids to grow. I think this is a good planting arrangement if you are running low on space.
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
hybrid_spaces_bad.jpg
</div>

This is the worst way to try for hybrids. It is simply planting a bunch of the same breed in one cluster. It may look nice, but it really cuts down on the spots where hybrids could grow. If you look at the 2 pansies circled in red, you can see there's only 7 places where a hybrid could grow from this combination. Other combinations in this layout offer even fewer opportunities for hybrid growth. It might work and produce hybrids, but it is probably the least likely layout to produce hybrids.
hybrid_bad.jpg
</div>

Do think it's better to put it like:

(F = Flower, X = Space)

XFX
FXF
XFX

Or:

XFX
XFX
XFX

?

Master Crash said:
Do think it's better to put it like:

(F = Flower, X = Space)

XFX
FXF
XFX

Or:

XFX
XFX
XFX

?
I'd say it's better the first way, with the 4 flowers. That way you have more possible combinations.

Jas0n,you are the best info giver of all time!!!!! Well in my book of course... :gyroiddance: :yes: :yes: :yay: :gyroidspin:

I'd like to add something to this guide, if I may.

In City Folk, it's now possible to crossbreed golden roses with other roses.

Golden Rose + Red Rose = Pink Rose
Golden Rose + Yellow Rose = Orange Rose
Golden Rose + Orange Rose = Pink Rose
Golden Rose + Pink Rose = Orange Rose

Ehingen Guy said:

Have you tried that?
Any proofs?

pizzaSlyze said:
Ehingen Guy said:

Have you tried that?
Any proofs?
He's a super pro hybrid-er.

Back