• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Hybrid Flower Guide & Research

Jas0n

Retired Staff
Bells
Lump of Coal
Dark Candy
Blue Mote of Flame
Purple Feather
Pink Feather
Blue Feather
November Birthstone (Topaz)
Ancient Lantern
Dusty Scroll
Trophy
Ok, so seeing as so many people have been asking how this works, I thought I would post a guide that we can all work on together.

I'm going to put a simple version of the Wild World guide here and if anything's changed or if you guys have any other tips please post them here.

<big>The Guide:</big>

Hybrid events occur randomly. Every day at 6:00am, roughly 3-5 new flowers spawn in your town. These flowers may be wild, or they may be the product of two parent flowers. Parent flowers may spawn the standard color flowers, or, if conditions are ideal, a second generation color (that is, a color other than red, white, or yellow). Flower seeds in standard colors can be bought from Tom Nook to set up hybrid plots.

In order to get two flowers to cross, you must have two flowers of the same type (ie, two pansies, two roses, etc.) adjacent to one another. If two flowers successfully produce offspring, their child will appear in any of the nine squares that surround either of the two parents. It is important to note that flowers will not reproduce if all of the nine squares surrounding both parents are blocked by obstacles such as trees, rocks, or patterns placed on the ground. As a clarification, it is perfectly okay for some of the spots to be blocked. In fact, to increase the probablity of successful hybridization, we encourage users to arrange flowers so that that each flower touches multiple potential breeding partners. Examples of basic successful spawn diagrams are shown below. P indicates parent positions, B indicates child positions N indicates a blank space.

BBBB
BPPB
BBBB

BBBN
BPBB
BBPB
NBBB

You do not need a perfect town to grow hybrids. Research has shown that hybrids will grow just as effectively in a non-perfect town, assuming that hybridization conditions have been maximized. The best way to maximize hybrids is to eliminate non-matching parents. For example, two white tulips should never be placed adjacent to one another; this will only yield non-hybrid spawns. Hybrid plots should be placed away from obstacles, signs, river edges, and buildings. Maximizing the number of spawn points maximizes your chances of getting a hybrid. Finally, because there are only so many flower spawns that occur per day, try to satisfy your gardening villagers by surrounding their houses with matching parents. If they have a garden of their own, your villagers will stop planting new flowers and detracting from your daily flower count.

Only water dried up flowers; watering healthy flowers is a waste of time, and does not encourage hybridization. There is no way to prevent your hybrids from drying up, short of leaving them indoors. Any flower placed indoors, however, obviously cannot spawn new flowers.

Hybridization events do not necessarily occur even if conditions are ideal. Sometimes it takes a bit of patience before you see your first successful hybrid. Hybrids can be quickly reproduced by crossing a hybrid with another hybrid (excluding gold roses).

<big>Hybrid Tables:</big>
Notes: Crosses of unlisted basic color x hybrid and hybrid x hybrid have been excluded from the tables because they do not yield new colors, just duplicates of the parent colors. For example, a pink rose crossed with a white rose will yield either pink or white roses. Also, order of the parents does not matter. A red x white cross yields the same results as a white x red cross. There are 6 rose hybrids and 3 hybrids for every other crossable flower.

Roses:
<table><tr><th>
Flower One</th><th>Flower Two</th><th>Possible Outcomes
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Rose</td><td>Red Rose</td><td>Red Rose, Black Rose
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Rose</td><td>White Rose</td><td>Red Rose, White Rose, Pink Rose
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Rose</td><td>Yellow Rose</td><td>Red Rose, Yellow Rose, Orange Rose
</td></tr><tr><td>White Rose</td><td>White Rose</td><td>White Rose, Purple Rose
</td></tr><tr><td>Black Rose</td><td>Purple Rose</td><td>Black Rose, Purple Rose, Blue Rose
</td></tr><tr><td>Black Rose</td><td>Golden Watering Can</td><td>Gold Rose
</td></tr></table>

Tulips:
<table><tr><th>
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Tulip</td><td>Red Tulip</td><td>Red Tulip, Black Tulip
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Tulip</td><td>White Tulip</td><td>Red Tulip, White Tulip, Pink Tulip
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Tulip</td><td>Yellow Tulip</td><td>Red Tulip, Yellow Tulip, Purple Tulip
</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow Tulip</td><td>Yellow Tulip</td><td>Yellow Tulip, Black Tulip
</td></tr></table>

Pansies:
<table><tr><th>
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Pansy</td><td>Red Pansy</td><td>Red Pansy, Purple Pansy
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Pansy</td><td>Yellow Pansy</td><td>Red Pansy, Yellow Pansy, Orange Pansy
</td></tr><tr><td>White Pansy</td><td>White Pansy</td><td>White Pansy, Blue Pansy
</td></tr></table>

Cosmos:
<table><tr><th>
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Cosmos</td><td>Red Cosmos</td><td>Red Cosmos, Black Cosmos
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Cosmos</td><td>White Cosmos</td><td>Red Cosmos, White Cosmos, Pink Cosmos
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Cosmos</td><td>Yellow Cosmos</td><td>Red Cosmos, Yellow Cosmos, Orange Cosmos
</td></tr></table>

EDIT: You can also get Carnations, you get a pink one from your Mum on Mother's Day and a red one from your Dad on Father's Day.

Carnations:
<table><tr><th>
</td></tr><tr><td>Pink Carnation</td><td>Red Carnation</td><td>White Carnation
</td></tr></table>
Please note, that this isn't confirmed but it's more than likely true.

(God this guide took a long time to write out, you guys better like it >_<)

JOM said:
I hate it...

Just kidding, great work, it should help me a great deal.
Lmao, I was getting ready to strangle you after I read that first bit xD

Thanks for posting this, I was going to start researching this tonight! Perfect timing!

thanks this is helpful for alota ppl,
I got 6 hybrids so far from the flower orchads :D

whats the point of this...other than being a gardener and having a perfect town.
I know it attracts insects... but is that it?
Will villagers like you more, and fancy your gardening skills or something?
I dont really get it..

Palad said:
[n,Dec 27 2008, 12:46:07 AM]whats the point of this...other than being a gardener and having a perfect town.
I dont really get it..
1) They look cool
2) They attract rare insects
3) They help you win flower contest things
4) They look cool
5) They look cool.

this is great research, thanks for posting this, I've been doing my plotting wrong all this time! Thanks again!

Jas0n said:
Palad said:
[n,Dec 27 2008, 12:46:07 AM]whats the point of this...other than being a gardener and having a perfect town.
I dont really get it..
1) They look cool
2) They attract rare insects
3) They help you win flower contest things
4) They look cool
5) They look cool.
dont forget bragging rights lol :gyroiddance:
as you can see i got a hybrid in my sig it is a purple tulip... i was wondering how i got it i knew the basic idea but i have a bunch of flowers next to each other so i was wondering what the combo was so thaks

OMG THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
LOL THX SO MUCH MAN IT IS WELL APPRECIATED
I even bookmarked it :p

Back