How do you feel about AC becoming much more general audience based?

I think a bigger audience is a good thing. Imagine if the game hadn't exploded in popularity - I wonder if we would have been getting updates at all! One of the big upsides to how popular AC has gotten is the amount of merch available. Before NH, all I ever saw was maybe some plushes on like Amazon, but now there's tons of official shirts, shoes, bags, etc. Though, not everyone cares for merch.

I still have hope that one day we'll get a huge update that at the very least adds all of the classic furniture sets from the previous games. Also hoping for Brewster, Katrina, Tortimer Island + Kapp'n. A Pokémon crossover would be great, too

Before NH, all I ever saw was maybe some plushes on like Amazon, but now there's tons of official shirts, shoes, bags, etc. Though, not everyone cares for merch.
The new merchandise is great to see. As for a crossover, it wouldn’t surprise me. Well, it might for this game, which doesn’t seem to be getting any major updates. It wouldn’t surprise me if it were to happen sometime in the distant future. We’ve seen things like even the 7-Eleven set in New Leaf, crossover Zelda villagers and the Sanrio characters, as well.

I loved the GameCube Animal Crossing, I loved Wild World, I loved New Leaf and I love New Horizons.

yeah the franchise has changed over the years but nothing can stay the same for 20 years and not get stale.
And if more people have found joy in the series, that makes me incredibly happy as well

Porter isn't there to welcome you to town, Tom Nook isn't yelling at you to pay the bills

Porter has only existed in GCN and NL. He was absent from WW and CF. The pattern shows he is only around for trains. Since NH uses a plane, it makes sense Porter isn't around. Rover is another question, but storywise, you're boarding a plane for a getaway package. Rover being on the plane wouldn't make much sense.

Also, I don't recall Tom Nook ever yelling at you about loans. He tells you once what you owe and he'll never ask again. He always says pay it at your own pace. What has changed is he will stop forcing you to upgrade your house

Can't say I'm too happy with it. It feels akin to the direction the Fire Emblem series has taken since Fire Emblem Awakening's release in 2012.

As someone who has played and is fond of the older Fire Emblem games, the series post-Awakening has felt like a downgrade in terms of the aspects that made me a fan of the series. Awakening and Fates had terrible, messy plots with tropey characters I couldn't bring myself to care about, they turned up the sex appeal and the pandering, your main character is now an Avatar self-insert and all of the characters in your army won't shut up about how you're the best person ever. It just felt like a transition into particularly bland, boring anime. The game they initially advertised as Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem ended up becoming a game about the Japanese idol industry, despite Fire Emblem being a series involving war and the politics thereof and Shin Megami Tensei being a series that tends to involve angels, demons, and other mythological beings and gods clashing, humanity in the midst of apocalypse or a world resultant thereof and caught in the struggle, and your protagonist needing to make choices about whether to ally with Order, Chaos, or taking a neutral stance. Echoes: Shadows of Valentia had the best presentation but some of the worst gameplay, and Three Houses has good aspects like characters and some gameplay elements, but the problems pile up the more I look at it. Meanwhile, the older games had stories and settings I could invest in and characters I thought were cool, they had good map design and more varied objectives for completing them, and they just feel like they have a different tone.

The deserted island setting of New Horizons is nice to a degree, but a year later and with the future uncertain it personally feels like more of a negative than a positive. It makes sense to have less of the special characters and shops in this setting, but they provided a sense of life and vitality which is now absent and the void they've left is making itself very apparent now. Terraforming and decorating your island to make it #aesthetic is all well and good if you care about that, and to a degree I enjoy decorating the island too, but personally the thing I want to decorate is my house. Unfortunately tons of furniture from the past twenty years is missing, the rooms are smaller, and the homes feel like they've taken a backseat. Not to be too negative though, there are still aspects of New Horizons which I like and there are some ways it is superior to New Leaf even if I personally enjoy New Leaf much more.

With growth comes change, some good and some bad. I don't have a problem with people finding a new series to enjoy, but in these two instances it has come at the cost of aspects of the games which to varying degrees are what I liked the franchises for in the first place. I can see myself dropping the series in the future depending on a number of factors. If I do, oh well, nothing lasts forever. I wouldn't hold contempt for the fans who came in. Wouldn't hold contempt for the game designers either, however much I might not agree or gel with the decisions made. Just take solace in the good times, keep playing the games you do enjoy, and move on.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Nintendo trying to reach a wider audience, but they did it at the cost of content. New Horizons is fine, but New Leaf is miles ahead in terms of character and content. The social and mechanical changes are wonderful, but it feels like they cut Animal Crossing in half to get it done. I'm disappointed in New Horizons not because of what's there, but because of what's not. A wider audience is fine, just don't go for it at the expense of your already proven and loyal audience.

Last edited:
I think New Horizons is experimental. From the title itself, you can tell that they're trying to do something different (and they actually are). I think lots of things were intentionally removed. Too bad a wider audience gave them a bigger backlash though.
People get very upset when past features from a game are removed. Like for example, in Pokemon people got so mad that they removed the national dex. You can say the same with New Horizons how a lot of the stuff that people loved in New Leaf was removed. This seems to be a trend I'm noticing with Nintendo games in general.

I think people are looking at this the wrong way round. Some people seem to think that Ninty made this game to appeal to 30 million people on purpose !! That's not the case, we all know why the game sold so many copies ... Any game developer needs to create a game that appeals to as broad an audience as possible. It's fine to have a "niche" audience, but that doesn't make a development company any money and, let's face it, game developers and publishers are businesses. Money is their business ...

Nintendo have always been a company that tries to bring people together, as many different people as possible. They've never tried to have the most powerful system or the most hardcore game, they just want people to play. And they do that by innovating, not just releasing the same console again, just with with more horse power, but by trying new things [even if they fail, VirtualBoy] ...

If I remember correctly, they did a study of NL players and found that the majority of console-buyers were male, but the majority of NL-players were female ... When you're faced, as a developer, with that kind of information, you're naturally going to go in a certain direction while still trying to appeal to a mass audience ...

A game series can't continue unless you get more people on board, I think, with NH, the game devs genuinely [and they said it themselves] wanted to move the series forward and go in a different direction. This meant that certain sacrificies had to be be made but I, for one, am glad of the change ... If my reasoning is correct, they planned a mainline game for the WiiU but ,since that didn't do very well [and I'm putting that nicely !!] they scrapped that idea. From what I've seen and understand, it would have just been NL on a big screen. I don't want the same game on a bigger screen, I want a new game with new things ...

[As a side note,I think it's funny how everyone hated CF because it was [apparently] exactly the same as the previous game, now they hate NH because it's NOT exactly the same as the previous game !!] ...

I think it's great that so many people have discovered AC through NH, for whatever reason. If they just jumped on a bandwagon and jumped off just as quick, at least they know the AC name. We don't own this game, everybody does. We need to remember that ...

I think you put it well, saying that some of the charm has sort of been taken away. I liked all the weird little things that can happen to you in the older AC games, gyroids were super weird and I kinda miss them, having a cup of coffee was a cute little ritual, the peaceful feeling of slowly building up your town and home over time, finding new things even after playing the game for years... I miss it, but I do enjoy New Horizons for different reasons I think.

Back