• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you combat burnout with AC, and how do you get back into playing?

Darkesque_

it doesn't matter if you love him or capital H I M
Bells
Switch
0511-6300-4547
Zen Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
Aurora Easter Egg
Stardust Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Golden Scenery
Rotating Fool's Egg
Golden Scenery
Zipper Sakura
I've been playing ACNH on and off since its release in 2020. As many others in the AC community have experienced, I get spells of burnout and boredom with the game. I usually take a break from it, anticipating that I'd return to playing within a week or two, but, I usually return months later because of some cute inspo I see on here or Instagram.

With me saying all of this, I wondered how you guys handle burnout with ACNH and how you get yourself to keep playing without developing boredom with the game. I've been wanting to start playing again, to pick up where I left off on my island, but I know that the cycle will repeat itself, and I will end up not playing AC for a few months.

For me, it's being here on this forum and sharing my thoughts and ideas with others, alongside browsing sites like Pinterest for inspiration and art. I'd really like to get back to decorating my backup island one of these days, but I get overwhelmed with what's possible and what's not, so it's not as easy as it seems.

I know what to expect from the villagers at this point, so there's no real point in trying to satisfy them if I don't plan on swapping anyone out (which is precisely what I'm doing). My main focus is obtaining items and decorating. That is what keeps me busy.

With New Horizons, I saw myself looking at what other players have done with the game, seeing as there's just so much creativity to express yourself with in this one! Which is good, yeah, but for me, it felt like I had to keep up with everyone and even if I did things my way, I always saw how much nicer everyone else is doing things their way. 😕

Maybe with Animal Crossing in general, you'll get more out of it if you treat it as a "slow burn". 🔥 Don't get too invested in what other players are doing in their game. Play in short sessions throughout the day/week. Don't time travel or use cheats. Let villagers move in and out as they please so you experience new villagers. 💡

I just ride out the burnout wave until it passes. restarting your island is always a nice option too, I recently did that, kinda regret t but it got me back into playing..

Can I ask why the burnout is a problem? I guess I'm not sure why you feel obligated to play constantly if it's not fun for you.

It might help to decide what your goals are for the game. I just started playing ACNH in June 2023, and it gets tiring playing every day. However, I set a goal of playing one full year so that I could experience all of the special events at least once. I'm not much of a designer so my goals include getting as many Achievements as I can and filling out my item catalogue.

Well, I've started a completely new game and so its forced me to rebuilt everything from the start. That means I have to do the grind to get the complete inventories for all of the items, regular or customised, and that takes more than a year to complete without any help. Items such as the zodiac frags and villager pics can take up more than a year without help. Even though I say "grind" I meant that it takes more time than I want it to because sometimes I feel like I'm not accomplishing enough for one day's worth of playthrough. To prevent myself from "burning out" I tend to NOT time travel. Time travelling makes me end up wanting more and more. By the time I have most of everything there is nothing really else to do so by taking it slow I have more new things to look forward to everyday.

I usually take breaks and don’t force myself to play when I feel burnout. I take time and either play a different game or read a book. I have been restarting my second island around Dec/January each year and that gives me motivation to play as I really enjoy the beginning of the game. With my second island I take things as they come and don’t try to complete everything. My main island has all DIY recipes if I need anything I can always get it there.

My experiences with the animal crossing franchise have always had some sort of community aspect to it (mostly thanks to this forum - it has been 10 years since I joined!). So even though I'm not really playing the game a lot of the times, I'm chatting about the game and/or helping host events related to the game. I tend to feel burn out more easily if AC is a solo experience of just "looking at inspiration" and then trying to "recreate it" but keeping it to myself. Even if I'm not intending to always show off parts of my build or game, the community aspect of talking about parts of it or posting about it in my island journal makes the experience fun for me. The journal especially, helps me see where I left off last and gives me a space to create my own stories that are not just tied to "building stuff" all the time. I just like to play at my own pace and share what I want with the community.

The best thing to do is play other games and don't force yourself to play Animal Crossing just because you have to. You don't need to spend hours and hours playing it. What I usually do is log in do my daily things and then log off for the day. I don't let it consume my entire time because I know I would get burn out easily. Playing other games helps take the mind off of Animal Crossing and you find yourself feeling more refreshed. Sticking to one game is one thing I learned the hard way. Learn when to take a break if you still feel burned out and try to take time for yourself.

I had a 2 year long burnout lol! I suppose if you truly love something... you always come back to it.. no matter what.. and that's the case for me.. I just truly LOVE Animal Crossing and everything it has to offer... the community... the little cute animals asking if you're okay, them giving you random gifts just because.... it's like visiting old family members.... I'll always love AC 💜

I will stop playing for a month or so but will occasionally pop in to check up on things. I tend to do this with a lot of my games other than Pokémon.

I just take a break and play something else when burnout happens. Playing AC isn't a job. It's supposed to be fun! So when it no longer is fun, I stop playing. I always come back to it when I get the urge but I never force it. I find that the urge just comes and goes whenever it feels like it.

Had a Burn out too, and just recently seen there was that Nintentalk challenge. Watching a series on YouTube rn, it's inspiring to get back into it. Just heavily debating cause I do have villagers I really like. But honestly, I'm more interested in the new start grind, then dailies. Think that's what gives me the burn & bored feelings once you advance so far into it. Need to challenge myself to complete everything for a change though. The food is even new for me.

I'm currently on a break from ACNH. I've been wanting to get back to it but I'll wait a little longer til I have some more spirits to play it.

Part of combating the burnout for me is being patient and reminding myself that it's a game I love to play and that I'm sure I'll play again in the future. i've also been watching videos on youtube and it's been getting me more excited for when i finally decide to go back and revisit my island.

also (if you have the DLC) it's helpful to start playing HHP for a 1-2 remodels a day to get yourself back in the groove of things.

Flatten the island! Again...

Sometimes I take a break from ac, to play another game or if I just get too busy, or to work on a project. When I come back, I always have the urge to redesign/change the island around. That keeps me in the game for quite a while, as I just can't seem to settle on an island design.

I just take a break and play something else when burnout happens. Playing AC isn't a job. It's supposed to be fun! So when it no longer is fun, I stop playing. I always come back to it when I get the urge but I never force it. I find that the urge just comes and goes whenever it feels like it.
I’m pretty much the same. I don’t have time to spend hours playing NH daily nor the time and dedication to perfect every aspect of my Island.

Last edited:
It might sound weird, but how I do it is just not playing everyday. I finished my island, the only thing left is my museum, but I really don't want to spend a ton of time looking for a single stag beetle. It's honestly super frustrating ngl.

Other then that I only hop on to celebrate their birthdays. Though Sasha is next, and his birthday is so far away lol.

Then I have more of an urge to play, and a more enjoyable time because I get to catch up, and clean up my island. ♡

Then I go visit the birthday boy, and leave the game on to let them party. They appreciate it lol.

As an Animal Crossing fan who does not really care about the decorating aspect, I find there is no way to get back into New Horizons for more than a couple weeks. If I liked decorating, I can see playing for longer, but truthfully the game has went in a direction I cannot follow. It is very sad but Animal Crossing and TBT were a huge part of my life, and I'm grateful for all the fun I had and friends I gained over the years.

Between my personal playstyle (been a time traveler since the GameCube game) and how my (hyper?)focus shifts to different interests from time to time, I don't really encounter burnout in Animal Crossing games all that often. I usually just turn my attention toward whatever other interest I have at the time and take a break from Animal Crossing until I eventually cycle back around to wanting to play again.

Whereas a lot of people enjoy the day-to-day and will argue that it's the only proper way to play because it's what the developers intend, I personally find that style of play restrictive and more like a chore that must be attended to rather than a game played for leisure. I'm kind of an inverse of some people who get burned out if they time travel, as I'm far more likely to chafe and burn out from the standard style of play.

Regardless of where any of us is on this spectrum, I usually just figure it best for people to simply stop playing for however long you decide is appropriate and then return to the game when you feel that you're ready. Trying to force yourself to play is just going to burn you out more. There are other games to be played, hobbies to undertake, exercises to engage in, and subjects to learn. Barring unforeseen circumstance, your island and your residents will be there waiting for you whenever you feel like visiting them again.

All that stuff out of the way, I'll also suggest making additional player characters. I've always enjoyed making as many player characters as possible since the GameCube game; more storage, more houses to design, and anyone who is into it can make up backstories and personalities for the characters you create. It also makes the town or island feel more lived in, especially in New Horizons where the series standard limit of 4 was increased to 8 due to the Nintendo Switch allowing for up to 8 user profiles per console.

Finally, I also recommend the Happy Home Paradise DLC to anyone who enjoys the interior decorating aspect of the series. Interior decorating has always been one of the primary aspects that draws me to the series, and while I'm a bit disappointed with the player houses in New Horizons having small and awkward room sizes even when fully expanded, the Happy Home Paradise vacation homes can eventually feature two 10x10 rooms per home if you so desire. It also adds a bit more to engage with in the game, since New Horizons lacks stuff like Tortimer's Island and such to keep you occupied.

I'll never understand when someone tries to keep playing a game when they're no longer feeling it. It's okay to move on and come back to it later. It doesn't mean you're giving it up. You can always pick it up later. Just find another game to fill that time in or if this is the only game you've played watch a new series, pick up a new hobby, pick up old hobbies ect.

As an Animal Crossing fan who does not really care about the decorating aspect, I find there is no way to get back into New Horizons for more than a couple weeks. If I liked decorating, I can see playing for longer, but truthfully the game has went in a direction I cannot follow. It is very sad but Animal Crossing and TBT were a huge part of my life, and I'm grateful for all the fun I had and friends I gained over the years.
Yeah I've felt the same way. The only time I ever got any mileage out of the game was when I finally embraced the terraforming and decorating. I hope the next game is more of a definitive version of all the games.

Back