• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games You Enjoy with a Negative Rep?

someone just brought up Ty the Tasmanian tiger and I got nostalgic. I remember lots of bugs in that game, but the boomerang mechanic was cool

You are probably hanging out with the wrong types of people lol! I tell people all the time that animal crossing is my favourite game, and some will say they don't like it because it's not for them, but I've never had anyone berate me for it. If people are needlessly hostile about your hobbies and other things that don't effect them, they're kinda not great people :p

Yeah, my closer friends don't care. But, when I tell my elitist video game friends they freak out lol.

sticker star. lots of people really didn't like the game, and i can understand why, but just because it isn't like traditional paper mario games that doesn't mean it's a bad game... -.-

Most games I play and enjoy have a good reputation. I think the one that's closest to a negative rep is Pokemon Puzzle League, which many people write off as simply a re-skin of Tetris Attack. I think that's oversimplifying PPL. It has voice acting from the anime for all Kanto gym leaders, Ash, Pikachu and many other pokemon, the Elite Four, Team Rocket, Richie, Gary, and Tracy. I may even be leaving someone out on accident. Mewtwo is a powerful final boss who is still challenging for me nowadays. The soundtrack comes from the anime and the 2B A Master soundtrack, which makes it very nostalgic and sweet. My boyfriend and I enjoyed taking turns playing against the opponents on PPL. There are all sorts of different play styles. You get various trophies and diplomas for beating things on certain difficulties and the gameplay itself is solid. It's a very good puzzle game and one that even solid Pokemon fans tend to overlook.

Little Big planet 3 This game basically murdered the LBP series thanks to sony forcing sumo to get it out before christmas. thsi game had so many problems at launch like people's whole profiles corrupting preventing them from playing with their stuff, DLC not working at launch, levels made in LBP2 getting broken due to logic not working, game breaking bugs such as whole areas of a map just not loading, finishing all levels in a map but the final door not loading thus making it so you couldn't continue in the story and so many other issues. It was so broken at launch that people legit just went right back to LBP2 or just left the LBP community altogether. I somehow got lucky and literally never had anything happen to me while playing, and even now I have never come across anything horribly broken in game. By now tho, most of the fandom is pretty much dead, especially since like 2 years back (maybe 3?) the Japanese servers were completely shut down, so Japanese players were literally making goodbye levels since they were no longer able to play unless they bought an EU copy of the game. I still like this game, but the damage it caused to the fandom may honestly put it in it's grave permanently and it's disappointing just because of how much this game helped me as a kid.

I could be biased here, but Mario Party 9 was my first Mario Party game and I don't find it to be as bad as people say it is. My friend and I always play it when she comes to my house and we have a great time. Yes, it is very restricting with all of the players having to move at once and compared to 1,2, and even 3 it is pretty lackluster, but I like it. I genuinely tried to give Top 100 a chance, too...

Monster Hunter Stories

Yeah, that one. Got it yesterday and I enjoy it a lot more than I thought. And I'm probably one of a few to enjoy that kind of take on such a series that is considered to be more "serious" so to say. It definitely do not deserve all the bad beans thrown at it and while I can understand it's a more cutesy take and pretty different for even a spin-off I do like it. The combat is more Yokai watch/turn based than the regular series and the graphics might not be for everyone but honestly it's fun and since I was not superfan of 3U and 4U this fit me perfectly. The dialogue might also grind people's gears since it *is* pretty easily written and repetitive but yeah, if you like good open world games it's a good play. Only downside might be that they don't really tell you stuff in some parts, like how to fish at once so you have to play around which can take ages for some Sub-quests (or I just missed stuff) but, yeah I like it!

Was monster hunter stories really poorly received? I never knew! Personally I wasn't raised on monster hunter like my other sibs, and when they got me mh4 I really wasn't a fan at all, the style wasn't for me; it felt clunky and laborious. When I heard of stories I was really excited and bought it immediately because it was much more my speed :rolleyes:

Spore, it's a shell of what it was suppose to be, but I find it pretty enjoyable up until the space stage.

I find myself enjoying the space stage, actually. Worst IMO is tribal.

I love Fallout 76. The game is not without it's problems. But the stories it tells are good.

Was monster hunter stories really poorly received? I never knew! Personally I wasn't raised on monster hunter like my other sibs, and when they got me mh4 I really wasn't a fan at all, the style wasn't for me; it felt clunky and laborious. When I heard of stories I was really excited and bought it immediately because it was much more my speed :rolleyes:

Yeah if you compare to the main series, idk people seem to dislike the cartoony style and the FF spinoff-game style. And I can agree it has a lot of flaws sadly but honestly it's an alright game even though I didn't finish it.

I never like 3u and 4u as for 3ds because they were obviously not made for the console and whichever it was 4u i think had really annoying tutorial missions that took ages to complete rather than enjoying the actual game.

oath2order

Nothing against the space stage, I'd just rather explore than worry about the colonies.
That's what I get for making no allies I suppose.

Last edited:
oath2order

Nothing against the space stage, I'd just rather explore than worry about the colonies.

That's fair!

I never got too far in colonies. I also hate how I always ended up as the religious civilization. Despite my WAR

oath2order

Haha, I don't think I've ever once got the "good" part of the spectrum. I think I've only gotten the middle a couple times. I might give it a shot one day to see how it is.

Last edited:
I have a deep, burning love for Skyward Sword and Super Paper Mario, although the initial hatred for both seems to have died off. I also really enjoy Harvest Moon DS, which isn?t hated so much as it is infamous for all its glitches.

Reactions: Neb
I have a deep, burning love for Skyward Sword and Super Paper Mario, although the initial hatred for both seems to have died off. I also really enjoy Harvest Moon DS, which isn’t hated so much as it is infamous for all its glitches.

Harvest Moon DS was the first I played and I loved it.

The glitches were just a fun part of the game <3

Sonic Adventure 2 is a controversial game, but I still enjoyed it. Same with Sonic Heroes.
Same here. I played Sonic Adventure 2 Battle a lot and it's also one of my favorite games
for the Nintendo GameCube, although many people say the game is overrated and not that
good at all. But I still enjoy it, especially because of City Escape and the Chao Garden. Sonic
Heroes is also a game I liked, was maybe not a masterpiece but still fun to play in my opinion.

I like Jaws for the NES a lot. I know it's largely disliked because it has little to do with the movie (basically just trying to cash in on the movie's huge success) but honestly it's fun, simple, and even a bit strategic. It's a nice way to kill about 30 minutes to an hour, when I feel like playing something different.

Realms of Ancient War (RAW). I dunno why but I didn't have a problem with the game. It's a decent mindless Diablo-Esque sort of game that I had a good time playing....but the majority of Steam hates it.

oath2order

For some reason I actually really enjoyed the Space Stage, to the point where my empire now inhabits multiple arms of the galaxy. It controls a few hundred systems and is currently at war with The Grox.

- - - Post Merge - - -

That's fair!

I never got too far in colonies. I also hate how I always ended up as the religious civilization. Despite my WAR

It would make sense if you got the Zealot archetype through war, considering you need 2 red cards for that one. They're the militarist religious faction. If you somehow became a Shaman though, I don't know what happened there.

Usually quite a lot of games I love fall into this category. But the one that gets me into the most trouble is by far RULE OF ROSE. My favorite genre is psychological horror and this one just fits that title so well. It's my favorite game of all time, but most people will says it's terrible even if they've never played it before because the combat controls are extremely clunky and difficult to get used to. When I first played it nobody had ever heard of it before, but now that it's "the most rare ps2 game, collectable, whatever" people like to pick fights with me whenever I say it's my favorite game. Most people never even get past the second boss (the mermaid princess), but sticking with the game to the end to experience the whole atmosphere and story is well worth it. It's one of those games that doesn't really make much sense until the end, so I understand why it has a really bad repuation. People aren't getting that far.

The mermaid princess that people get stuck at is horrible. i almost stopped there on my first play-through myself. The enemy's design is brilliant and very creepy, but the sound choices are terrible. You know the kind of boss where you need to mute the TV because the repetitive dialoge makes you want to smash your TV (not really, but you know)?
I had to find it on youtube, it's so terrible....
https://youtu.be/1kbfE_0uwo8

Other than this boss and the horrible combat controls (which I got used to), I love every single thing about this game and wish expensive game collectors would just bug off, leave me alone, and let me have my unpolular opinion.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I guess Silent Hill 4 since it was the "Black Sheep" of the series back then. Later SH games ended up being worse before the series died off. I also liked Grabbed by The Ghoulies which Banjo Rareware fans seemed to hate.

I was just having a really long and intense tangent about this in my head two days ago while I was driving, haha. SH4 isn't my favorite in the series, but it is a total and complete, absolute masterpiece for so many reasons. Again, I think this one got a bad rep because it was extremely long, different, and nobody actually finished it. This game deserves way better.

Last edited:
Back