• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games You Enjoy with a Negative Rep?

DarkDesertFox

Your Typical Trickster
Bells
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Tetris Grid
Kirby Easter Egg
Rainbow Feather
Chocolate Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Basically I mean games that have a majority negative perception by the general public. One that I play pretty regularly is Star Wars Battlefront II. Everyone remembers the game for the most downvoted Reddit comment, the lootbox fiasco, and the credit unlocks for heroes. The game is actually in a much better spot now than it was at launch, but unfortunately people will probably always have the mindset of the negative rep the game had itself upon initial launch. I actually also really enjoy Sonic 06 despite the endless bugs the game has to offer. What are games you like that a majority of people perceive negatively?

Last edited:
Spore, it's a shell of what it was suppose to be, but I find it pretty enjoyable up until the space stage.

spore is one of my favorite games of all time even though i would of preferred it the way it was in 2006. but i've been a fan since i was 7 or so and i have about a thousand hours total combining origin and steam, so i guess i'm biased. i'll still play it sometimes and binge it for a while.
super smash bros brawl and super paper mario as well, but the initial hate has died off since then.

goro
I totally forgot people even hated Super Paper Mario.
I'm assuming they took it all back once Sticker Star came out.
I get the gameplay's different, but I'd think the story would rival even The Thousand Year Door.

Last edited:
Skyward Sword
This is my favorite Zelda game.
Okay lemme write an entire essay on the motion controls really quick since that's always the first thing that comes up with this game. Not liking them is absolutely fine. They take time and effort to learn, and if you don't have either of those things then you won't like them. Are they bad or broken? Nope, they work completely fine.
...Okay maybe not COMPLETELY fine, but the only times that the controls may mess you up is if you're speedrunning the game and you need them to be 100% precise the entire time, but really how many people do you know that speedrun this game.
I kinda see the controls like driving a car I guess? If you spend 5 minutes learning how to back up a car and you keep crashing into everything, you aren't going to say that the car is broken. Yet I feel like that's the attitude most people have towards the motion controls, try it for a few minutes without having the effort to make them work, then blame the controls and leave the game. And tbf there isn't really any way to figure out how to "properly" use the controls other than just repeatedly trying different things until something works, so again that's something that will turn people away. But I do promise that they eventually work.
Next thing, Fi and her handholding. Handholding doesn't bother me much but yea it's definitely there. Fi herself is kinda annoying. But what she does have going for her is that she's by far the most helpful guide character in any Zelda game. Whenever you asked Midna for help, she basically jsut sed "link go save zelda" and gorl, that's the entire objective for this game, I just wanna know what I need to do next (Midna is a fantastic character, just an awful guide). The King of Red Lions was sorta helpful, but you could never talk to him for help when you actually needed it. If you ask Fi for help, she'll tell you history about the place you're in, places of interest, materials that you can collect in the area and how to get them, the local monsters and how to deal with them, where to go next, and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.
The dungeons and story are great and I think most people can at least agree there. Items have multiple uses outside of the dungeon that you get them in, which was a problem that was getting more and more apparent in Zelda games before this one. Sidequests in this game are also really solid. Most of them do change something in the world after completing them, which is a lot better for feeling like you're progressing than "thx for helping me, here's 20 rupees now get out of my face". Characters have new dialogue (or a complete personality change in some cases), places get physically changed, maybe a minigame will open up, things that make it feel like these optional tasks have an actual impact.
also this game gave me a shiny gold wii remote so that makes it instantly good

Final Fantasy XIII
Wow a lot of people really don't like this game. It's definitely flawed but the hate it gets is pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't go out of my way to tell people to play it but I enjoyed my time with it.

However I didn't like 13-2 at all (yet I still got every achievement in it for some reason) and I never got around to 13-3. The sequels have no reason to exist, but the first game was gud.

Danganronpa V3
I think the negativity here is mostly from a vocal minority, but idc I still love it. Wow what a surprise, it isn't like my avatar and signature give that away.

Sunset. Why that got so bad rep I do not know. I mean yes it's a bit heavy on some computers and it requires some artsy appreciation and history knowledge to fully get everything but honestly are people THAT simple nowadays so they hate on this.. lol

• Dead or Alive Xtreme series. The game they cancelled the latest instalment of in the west to avoid offending feminists. I ordered my copy from Hong Kong and can say it was a fun game and I got a good 40-60hrs out of it.
  • Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. They're some of my favourite games of all time I replay them annually.
  • Little Dragons Cafe. Yes, it's lacking, but it didn't deserve the utterly dismal reviews.
  • The Sims 3/4. I've been playing The Sims games since 2002 and continue to enjoy each overhaul it receives.

• Dead or Alive Xtreme series. The game they cancelled the latest instalment of in the west to avoid offending feminists. I ordered my copy from Hong Kong and can say it was a fun game and I got a good 40-60hrs out of it.
  • Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. They're some of my favourite games of all time I replay them annually.
  • Little Dragons Cafe. Yes, it's lacking, but it didn't deserve the utterly dismal reviews.
  • The Sims 3/4. I've been playing The Sims games since 2002 and continue to enjoy each overhaul it receives.

This is a good list! I seem to have a knack for picking Final Fantasy games in the series the fanbase considers the oddities. I actually enjoyed 13-2 from what I played of it, though I did get lost and never beat it. I wanted to try the Dead or Alive Xtreme games. I've just never had the money on hand to pay for the foreign import. I initially planned to get Little Dragons Cafe, but the price set me off based on the amount of content I read regarding the length of the game and not being able to play in an infinite-type way like you could with Harvest Moon games. Seems like a good game. If it ever came down in price I think I'd like to try it.

Last edited:
Metroid: Other M. I don't care what people say about Samus in the game or story or whatever. The gameplay was solid and that's good enough for me!

• Dead or Alive Xtreme series. The game they cancelled the latest instalment of in the west to avoid offending feminists. I

Thank you. I like those "boob" games as well and if people are offended with that, go complain on war games instead.

Did Sims 3 ever get a negative response? I always thought it was pretty well received.

As for me, Two Worlds. Was a lot of people that said it was a terrible game compared to TES IV, I personally really enjoyed it, and it's a classic I'll always fondly remember for the sandboxy bits.

Also Test Drive Unlimited 2. Received a lot of negative reviews in the beginning. I really enjoyed it apart from the cringey cut-scenes and story they tried to put into it. Haven't played it since I lost my save file when my hard drive was formatted last year.

I actually liked No man's sky, I found it relaxing to play and I got my dad into it and he really enjoys it so we play it together when we get the time.

I guess Silent Hill 4 since it was the "Black Sheep" of the series back then. Later SH games ended up being worse before the series died off. I also liked Grabbed by The Ghoulies which Banjo Rareware fans seemed to hate.

I guess Silent Hill 4 since it was the "Black Sheep" of the series back then. Later SH games ended up being worse before the series died off. I also liked Grabbed by The Ghoulies which Banjo Rareware fans seemed to hate.

I think SH4 was my first Silent Hill actually! I think I enjoyed it(but possibly only 'cause I didn't play the earlier ones. Not sure).

I think SH4 was my first Silent Hill actually! I think I enjoyed it(but possibly only 'cause I didn't play the earlier ones. Not sure).

SH4 was a bit different from the older SH games. But to me, I liked the story the best from the trilogy. I think nowadays there is a better appreciation for SH4 (well on twitch) than when the game came out. Its actually a really good speed running game to watch. I would give the older SH games a try if you are into classic survival horror games.

I actually liked No man's sky, I found it relaxing to play and I got my dad into it and he really enjoys it so we play it together when we get the time.

I heard it definitely got better when they made that update around the time it was released on Xbox. Looks like it's more fun to play now.

Final Fantasy X-2 used to be probably the #1 hated Final Fantasy game. Ever since the game came out it's been one of my top games in the entire series. I still love it.

It's still hated by certain people, though it isn't hated as much as it used to be. Post-FFX/FFX-2 HD remaster release it started getting some more respect. Maybe some of the people who hated on it never actually played it, and once they did they found out it was fun. Or maybe they just grew up and tried it again.

skyward sword is actually my #2 favourite zelda game of all time (was #1 before breath of the wild came out) ! i thought it was so fun and i was really invested in the characters. i never thought badly even once about the gameplay! i much prefer the lighter colour atmosphere over twilight princess's. another game that i thoroughly enjoyed was pokemon mystery dungeon: gates to infinity. while i agree it was lacking compared to the rest, its still a really great game! i will admit im a bit of a die hard pmd fan so i may be a bit biased haha ^^" another one is fantasy life. this game didnt get too bad a rep, but its definitely not the most popular, and didnt get the recognition it deserved.

Back