• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Fun Games with Randomized Elements?

DarkDesertFox

Your Typical Trickster
Bells
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Tetris Grid
Kirby Easter Egg
Rainbow Feather
Chocolate Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
I'm not talking about gacha or mobile games here with pulls and stuff. I'm talking about games that have a randomized element that makes each session or playthrough fun and unique. Heck, it can even be a mod for a game. I think these types of games/mods really increase a games longevity and are a ton of fun. It's been a big contributor to Mario Kart's success over the years and why people keep going back! Here are some I really enjoy:

Risk of Rain 2 - A really fun and unique survival game trying to get as far as you can in endless runs or getting to the final boss. Includes a ton of different modifiers for game difficulty and customization to make it more challenging and fun. Worlds are also randomly generated as well as items.
Streets of Rage 4 (Mr. X Nightmare DLC) - The Survival mode for Streets of Rage 4 is very challenging and has randomized enemies, levels, and powerups that make each run unique.
APEX Legends - A pretty well-known one but mentioning it regardless. FPS battle royale type of game with randomized loot across the map and spawn location make each run feel different from the last.
Sonic Adventure 2 Randomizer (Mod for PC version) - Randomizes a ton of things based on your choice. Characters played on a stage, dialogue, enemies, sound effects, level order, etc.
Universal Pokemon Randomizer (most Pokemon games) - A randomization tool for past Pokemon titles that allows you to create randomized encounters, random items, and other things.

I've been playing both Risk of Rain 2 and the DLC for Streets of Rage 4 - love both and would also highly recommend them to anyone looking for something in the action/rogue-like genre.

One of the other recent favorites that I've gotten back into playing is Gunfire Reborn. Like Risk of Rain, you can unlock different characters and you'll fight your way through hoards of enemies across different environments with a boss at the end of each main area. You collect randomized scrolls and different weapons throughout that add to your stats/skills with a few 'this for that' scrolls mixed in. You also earn 'soul essence' throughout each playthrough that you can put towards talents (essentially different skill trees with bonuses/upgrades you work towards). These will follow you for every succeeding attempt.

It's a rewarding/challenging game that punishes you, but you can't help diving back in for another run that will always be a little different. It has already seen a few updates in early access with more to come. Not a bad price point either! :)

I think this is what you mean but 100% Orange Juice was a lot of fun! It's been a couple years since I last played but everytime I did, I had a blast! It's like Mario Party with the board game thing but you collect stars or kills and then make it back to your home to "level up." First one to fulfill the requirements wins. You have the randomness of the dice rolls but also of the cards you pick up. Everybody builds a deck and then all those cards get shuffled for everybody to use so the games different depending on which cards you get. Characters also have different abilities and special cards so it's fun depending on who you pick too.

It's on Steam.

Back