• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Fire Emblem Engage

Huge update since my last one, but I'm now on chapter 23 in the game. I only have 4 more chapters to go not including the Divine Paralogues, as I've beat all the normal paralogues in the game by now. Here's what my current army setup looks like:

1. Riley (Divine Dragon) & Marth (Bond 20)
2. Chloe (Griffin Knight) & Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri (Bond 20)
3. Yunaka (Mage Knight) & Lyn (Bond 20)
4. Ivy (Lindwurm) & Corrin (Bond 20)
5. Citrinne (Sage) & Byleth (Bond 20)
6. Panette (Berserker) & Ike (Bond 20)
7. Hortensia (Sleipnir Rider) & Sigurd (Bond 20)
8. Jade (General) & Leif (Bond 20)
9. Goldmary (Hero) & Eirika (Bond 20)
10. Framme (Martial Master) & Micaiah (Bond 20)
11. Lapis (Swordmaster) & Roy (Bond 20)
12. Celine (Vidame) & Celica (Bond 20)
13. Veyle (Fell Child) & Lucina (Bond 20)
14. Mauvier (Royal Knight)

Emblem Riley & Goldmary (Bond 21)

I'll probably replace Mauvier with either Etie or Merrin once I get another ring from the Divine Paralogues, but for the most part I'm happy with what I came up with. My army does lean towards the mage side, but we've got a few good physical attackers as well.

Also, here's just some screenshots from my recent gameplay, lol:

2dCDtz3.jpg

lOgebzh.jpg

UyBmKI4.jpg

MvLuzMt.jpg

YR93vNw.jpg

6shKVFK.jpg

9LRTEzM.jpg

v6eXKy6.jpg

YcKOBgm.jpg

Really looking forward to these last chapters and finishing the game! 🥳

Just got to chapter 23 myself. Not sure how all I feel about the few plot twists that just happened but I’m still loving the gameplay.
You’ll find my team below. I mostly stuck with users who came with rings for story reasons and kept those rings on them, then I wanted to use all the royals and had two spots left for favourites. Also everyone is in their canon class/promotion. I’m also not totally set on which two DLC emblems I want to use just yet.

Alear & Marth
Alfred & Sigurd
Celiné & Celica
Diamant & Roy
Alcryst & Leif
Timerra & Ike
Fogado & Lucina
Ivy & Lyn
Hortensia & Byleth
Rosado & Eirika
Seadall & Corrin
Yunaka & Micaiah
Etie & Tiki
Merrin & Camilla

I’ll definitely change up classes and emblems more for a second playthrough after the final wave of dlc is out. Characters I definitely want to try next time are: Chloé, Citrinne, Lapis, Veyle and possibly one of either Framme, Jean or Anna.

Just got to chapter 23 myself. Not sure how all I feel about the few plot twists that just happened but I’m still loving the gameplay.
You’ll find my team below. I mostly stuck with users who came with rings for story reasons and kept those rings on them, then I wanted to use all the royals and had two spots left for favourites. Also everyone is in their canon class/promotion. I’m also not totally set on which two DLC emblems I want to use just yet.

Alear & Marth
Alfred & Sigurd
Celiné & Celica
Diamant & Roy
Alcryst & Leif
Timerra & Ike
Fogado & Lucina
Ivy & Lyn
Hortensia & Byleth
Rosado & Eirika
Seadall & Corrin
Yunaka & Micaiah
Etie & Tiki
Merrin & Camilla

I’ll definitely change up classes and emblems more for a second playthrough after the final wave of dlc is out. Characters I definitely want to try next time are: Chloé, Citrinne, Lapis, Veyle and possibly one of either Framme, Jean or Anna.

I absolutely love your team! I can see the appeal behind doing a second playthrough to mix up classes and emblems. Personally, however, I'm only doing one playthrough of the game partially because there's no avatar customization (and also only one "route") and partially because I have other games I plan on playing.

Update for me, but I only have one Divine Paralogue to go, Soren's. Once I finish his I'll have all the rings in the game that exist and will resume the story. I ended up switching Veyle to have Veronica's ring. They're kind of a perfect match for each other when you consider their stories and background. In order to still have all 12 of the original rings equipped, I gave Lucina's ring to Etie, only because Parthia is a really good Engage weapon, lol (Plus I have a feeling we will need all 12 equipped at the end of the game. Not a spoiler, but I just have a hunch that that's the case).

I absolutely love your team! I can see the appeal behind doing a second playthrough to mix up classes and emblems. Personally, however, I'm only doing one playthrough of the game partially because there's no avatar customization (and also only one "route") and partially because I have other games I plan on playing.

Update for me, but I only have one Divine Paralogue to go, Soren's. Once I finish his I'll have all the rings in the game that exist and will resume the story. I ended up switching Veyle to have Veronica's ring. They're kind of a perfect match for each other when you consider their stories and background. In order to still have all 12 of the original rings equipped, I gave Lucina's ring to Etie, only because Parthia is a really good Engage weapon, lol (Plus I have a feeling we will need all 12 equipped at the end of the game. Not a spoiler, but I just have a hunch that that's the case).

Yeah I’m definitely going to play a few games before coming back for another play through even if it’s a long while after the rest of the DLC is out. So the game won’t be as fresh for me by then. I remember really wanting to do a new play through of Three Houses after I finished the new story introduced in the final wave of its DLC as I really wanted to take the new characters for a spin. I just played one of the routes again though and not all of them haha.

Using all 12 rings sounds like a good idea. I have no idea if they are for sure needed but I also feel like it’s likely. Also Veronica on Veyle is perfect I’ll likely consider putting them together if I use Veyle next time.

Have you picked an S support for Alear yet? I ended up going with Alfred for female Alear. None of guys would have been my personal choice but Alfred is pretty sweet and feels like a good match for Alear imo.

currently on chapter 17 with most available paralogues completed, taking a break but excited for when I jump back into it!

I recall being in denial back when a screenshot of the female protagonist's design was leaked, and super disappointed when the game was shown at last year's direct (as a massive three houses fan I guess I just wanted more 3h-esque fe lol). but as more gameplay trailers came out I began to appreciate the art direction and character designs more - it's campy and fun and very polished. while 3h was sprawling and ambitious in terms of the sheer amount of content, it could also be a bit of a slog to get through sometimes (especially having to repeat the academy phase each playthrough), so i can appreciate engage's snappiness. not to mention there are quite a few banger tracks, I had solm's battle theme on in the background for like a week straight haha

I do eventually want to do a maddening playthrough, but for my first run I'm just on hard. for a bit of extra challenge I'm doing no grinding and spreading my resources thin by trying to build every single character (with the exception of Vander and Anna, who I kind of accidentally softlocked myself out of using), which has made for a pretty challenging but still fun experience.

not sure who I'm going to have alear s-support yet, I adore merrin and the whole 'princely bishounen but a girl' archetype, but I'm playing as m!alear and think it'd be a lot more fitting if she was with f!alear. big spoilers for the endgame cards but I might just end up going for alfred so he doesn't die young 😭😭

Yeah I’m definitely going to play a few games before coming back for another play through even if it’s a long while after the rest of the DLC is out. So the game won’t be as fresh for me by then. I remember really wanting to do a new play through of Three Houses after I finished the new story introduced in the final wave of its DLC as I really wanted to take the new characters for a spin. I just played one of the routes again though and not all of them haha.

Using all 12 rings sounds like a good idea. I have no idea if they are for sure needed but I also feel like it’s likely. Also Veronica on Veyle is perfect I’ll likely consider putting them together if I use Veyle next time.

Have you picked an S support for Alear yet? I ended up going with Alfred for female Alear. None of guys would have been my personal choice but Alfred is pretty sweet and feels like a good match for Alear imo.

Yep! It was between Chloe and Goldmary for me, and I ended up choosing Goldmary (it's in my post inside the game spoilers spoiler at the top of this page, lol).

Yep! It was between Chloe and Goldmary for me, and I ended up choosing Goldmary (it's in my post inside the game spoilers spoiler at the top of this page, lol).
Ahhh gotcha!
I was actually a few chapters before where you said you were when I first saw your post so that’s why I missed it as I avoided it for potential spoilers. I’ll go back and check it out now lol.

Well I’m down to the last couple chapters of the game finally. The story is still not the greatest as many reviewers have said - though I’ll save my final judgement for when the credits roll. Gameplay as I’ve said before is very solid and I love the characters too.

I just finished chapter 24 yesterday and I actually really loved that map. Really glad I chose Hard mode this time it’s been challenging enough to really make me think of a good strategy but not so hard I want to bang my head on the wall.

Below will be some chapter 24 map spoilers nothing story wise or who the boss is, but if you want this map’s mechanics to be a surprise then please don’t read the spoiler.

I usually dislike maps that break up your army and this one splits you up 3 ways but I actually loved it. It also has a turn count limit so you can’t just turtle your way through you need to constantly keep pushing. I believe I had a couple turns left by the end but I literally pushed forward every turn as much as I safely could. You also want to try to keep all 3 parts of your army moving close to the same speed so you have as many units as possible when you reach the end to attack the boss all at once.

The avalanche mechanic that triggers on one section of your army at a time every few turns was really neat. I was able to avoid it until right near end. I had 3 units in the one section not able to get to a safe spot from the avalanche who got pushed too far away to help right when I was about to tackle the boss. Thankfully I was able to do it with the rest of my team who made it. Pretty sure I had Byleth’s Goddess dance left over too if I really ended up needing it. Seadall on the other hand was one of the 3 unit swept away in the avalanche haha.

On to chapter 25!

Well I’m down to the last couple chapters of the game finally. The story is still not the greatest as many reviewers have said - though I’ll save my final judgement for when the credits roll. Gameplay as I’ve said before is very solid and I love the characters too.

I just finished chapter 24 yesterday and I actually really loved that map. Really glad I chose Hard mode this time it’s been challenging enough to really make me think of a good strategy but not so hard I want to bang my head on the wall.

Below will be some chapter 24 map spoilers nothing story wise or who the boss is, but if you want this map’s mechanics to be a surprise then please don’t read the spoiler.

I usually dislike maps that break up your army and this one splits you up 3 ways but I actually loved it. It also has a turn count limit so you can’t just turtle your way through you need to constantly keep pushing. I believe I had a couple turns left by the end but I literally pushed forward every turn as much as I safely could. You also want to try to keep all 3 parts of your army moving close to the same speed so you have as many units as possible when you reach the end to attack the boss all at once.

The avalanche mechanic that triggers on one section of your army at a time every few turns was really neat. I was able to avoid it until right near end. I had 3 units in the one section not able to get to a safe spot from the avalanche who got pushed too far away to help right when I was about to tackle the boss. Thankfully I was able to do it with the rest of my team who made it. Pretty sure I had Byleth’s Goddess dance left over too if I really ended up needing it. Seadall on the other hand was one of the 3 unit swept away in the avalanche haha.

On to chapter 25!

Nicely done! I am on chapter 25 as well, but am taking a short break because it's kind of difficult, lmao. May resume playing it today and try to finish the game. :D

Nicely done! I am on chapter 25 as well, but am taking a short break because it's kind of difficult, lmao. May resume playing it today and try to finish the game. :D

I ended up finishing the game myself today. 25 is definitely a bit tricky to say the least. So. many. reinforcements. They do eventually end though at least on hard mode which is good it just takes forever.

I really enjoyed the final chapter. It took me like 3 hours to beat but it was a ton of fun. I really liked that it had a bit more to it than just make your way to the boss and finish him. Most enjoyable final chapter I’ve played in a Fire Emblem game in a long time.

Final wave of the DLC is finally out.

Quick PSA I have been told about it (no spoilers I promise).

Completing the Fell Xenologue in one save file does not unlock the new characters and classes in any other save. So you have to complete it again in each new save… Guess I’ll be doing my second playthrough sooner than planned as it’s not really worth doing on a finished game.

Also after completing the Xenologue the new characters will join you at an internal level of 20. This will impact the scaling on skirmishes and paralogues and you can unlock them pretty early so you may want to hold off on completing the Xenologue until your main team is similar in level.

So I started my new playthrough last night. Still very early on but it’s fun to start over. Playing as male Alear this time as I love how Alear is fully voiced so I wanted to get a chance to hear the delivery of the male VA. That and I plan on using all characters I didn’t use the first time so using male Alear makes him seem different in a way. I used all royals last time so having no royals is going to be interesting.

Not sure what my exact plan for the Xenologue is yet. I’m not far enough to start it and I honestly might only work away at it here and there alongside the main story as I don’t want to unlock the new units too early as that’d mess up the scaling.

As for the new classes while I find them interesting I don’t see myself really using them on my main team. I may reclass any extra characters I might have just to try them out but that’ll be it. As you do get one of each class change item for each new class after completing the Xenologue so may as well use them a bit.

Alright, so I’m still fairly early in the game but I’ve tackled the first two chapters of the Xenologue. My main game is Hard/Classic but I opted to do Normal for the Xenologue since I’ve heard it’s much harder and I plan on working through it fairly early in the game so my access to skills and emblem rings is going to be limited.

I might try it out on hard mode with my older already completed save at some point. So far it’s interesting. Not amazing by any means but I like the new characters so far and some of the unique dialogue between the alternate royals with themselves and their retainers is neat.

Alright, so I’m still fairly early in the game but I’ve tackled the first two chapters of the Xenologue. My main game is Hard/Classic but I opted to do Normal for the Xenologue since I’ve heard it’s much harder and I plan on working through it fairly early in the game so my access to skills and emblem rings is going to be limited.

I might try it out on hard mode with my older already completed save at some point. So far it’s interesting. Not amazing by any means but I like the new characters so far and some of the unique dialogue between the alternate royals with themselves and their retainers is neat.

Hey, Holla! I'm just bringing this thread back because I never got a chance to finish Fire Emblem: Engage. I still have two chapters left to go! Would you say it's worth it to do the Xenologue first and then do the last two chapters? I don't know that I'll want to do another playthrough...

Hey, Holla! I'm just bringing this thread back because I never got a chance to finish Fire Emblem: Engage. I still have two chapters left to go! Would you say it's worth it to do the Xenologue first and then do the last two chapters? I don't know that I'll want to do another playthrough...

Hey!

I am currently taking a little break from my second play through but I can still offer some advice about the Xenologue. I have finished the Xenologue but haven’t used the new characters just yet as you get them at level 20 or promoted level 1 so I’m waiting until the rest of my team is similar in level.

A nearly complete file isn’t as useful to complete the Xenologue but there’s also really no harm especially if you don’t think you’ll ever play the game again. You won’t get use out of the new characters sadly but if that’s ok with you I say go for it. The story isn’t amazing but it’s interesting to at least get to experience once. You could potentially use the special classes that unlock with completing though. As you get one item for each that can be used on any unit you wish so there’s that.

Thanks for reminding me about this game by the way. I keep meaning to get back to it again. :)

Hey!

I am currently taking a little break from my second play through but I can still offer some advice about the Xenologue. I have finished the Xenologue but haven’t used the new characters just yet as you get them at level 20 or promoted level 1 so I’m waiting until the rest of my team is similar in level.

A nearly complete file isn’t as useful to complete the Xenologue but there’s also really no harm especially if you don’t think you’ll ever play the game again. You won’t get use out of the new characters sadly but if that’s ok with you I say go for it. The story isn’t amazing but it’s interesting to at least get to experience once. You could potentially use the special classes that unlock with completing though. As you get one item for each that can be used on any unit you wish so there’s that.

Thanks for reminding me about this game by the way. I keep meaning to get back to it again. :)

Ooo, that's good to know. Thank you. I'll probably go ahead and go for it anyway, just so I can experience the story at least once like you said.

And you're welcome! It's been really fun to play. I'm looking forward to seeing the ending. :giggle:

Oh man, I loveddddd this game back when it came out a few months ago. Hadn’t had a chance to finish it yet but it was so camp. I even got the expansion pass for it. So fun.

I had mixed feelings after playing the game and DLC, actually. If you have finished the Fell Xenologue, then you know that the story isn't exactly a happy one. So I guess it would have been better to play the Xenologue before finishing the game, because then at least there was a happy ending :).

Played on Normal / Casual, and my favorite and most used characters were :
  • Chloé (Three Houses)
  • Alchryst (Lyn)
  • Yunaka (Chrom)
Characters that I wanted to keep using, but that I ended up benching :
  • Alfred
  • Etie
  • Citrinne
That is actually something I like less about Engage (though I know it is more like Awakening), but I like Three Houses were you have all your characters from the beginning and can bring them to the endgame. Engage keeps giving you new and stronger characters, which is great, but made me feel bad when I benched one. But I might do another run where I do keep using these characters. :)

And I gave the Pact Ring to Alfred, because I wanted him to have a happy ending. :) I spammed him with gifts to get the support high enough. He was actually the only one I reached A-rank with.

As for Alear (I kept the name, because I rather liked it), I ended up going with M!Alear because F!Alear's hair was just "no" for me. I ended up quite liking him, both his personality and his design (also kept him in his Dragon Class, so Dragon Child and then Divine Dragon).

In short, glad I played the game as I quite liked it, but unlike Three Houses, not a game where I immediately wanted to go back and play it again (but comparing it to Three Houses isn't fair, because of the different routes in Three Houses). So now I'm taking a break and I'll probably come back to it later. :)

I had mixed feelings after playing the game and DLC, actually. If you have finished the Fell Xenologue, then you know that the story isn't exactly a happy one. So I guess it would have been better to play the Xenologue before finishing the game, because then at least there was a happy ending :).

Played on Normal / Casual, and my favorite and most used characters were :
  • Chloé (Three Houses)
  • Alchryst (Lyn)
  • Yunaka (Chrom)
Characters that I wanted to keep using, but that I ended up benching :
  • Alfred
  • Etie
  • Citrinne
That is actually something I like less about Engage (though I know it is more like Awakening), but I like Three Houses were you have all your characters from the beginning and can bring them to the endgame. Engage keeps giving you new and stronger characters, which is great, but made me feel bad when I benched one. But I might do another run where I do keep using these characters. :)

And I gave the Pact Ring to Alfred, because I wanted him to have a happy ending. :) I spammed him with gifts to get the support high enough. He was actually the only one I reached A-rank with.

As for Alear (I kept the name, because I rather liked it), I ended up going with M!Alear because F!Alear's hair was just "no" for me. I ended up quite liking him, both his personality and his design (also kept him in his Dragon Class, so Dragon Child and then Divine Dragon).

In short, glad I played the game as I quite liked it, but unlike Three Houses, not a game where I immediately wanted to go back and play it again (but comparing it to Three Houses isn't fair, because of the different routes in Three Houses). So now I'm taking a break and I'll probably come back to it later. :)

Yeah I 100% agree with you on the story. It’s one of the weakest in the series too. I didn’t hate it but it was ok.

Three Houses is definitely not a fair comparison especially considering how different it is from basically all other Fire Emblem games. I do agree that having a small set group of characters you raise from the beginning is really nice but it pretty much only a three houses thing. All other games are more like Engage where you have to pick and choose who to use as you go and the later ones are typically stronger. Thankfully earlier ones are totally still usable they just require more work and resources to keep relevant. I loved both Etie and Alfred and I used a combination of them sharing the Tiki Emblem as she boosts growth rate and my stat boosters and that helped a lot. Actually the two of them were some of the best on my team by the end even on hard classic. Etie even outclassed my Alcryst which for most people he’s usually way better.

Anyways I’m glad you liked the game though. I’m kinda glad in a way for a return for a more traditional game with a new gimmick (emblems). I liked how different Three Houses was but I also disliked several things about it like the repetitive Monastery (I know the Somniel is similar in a way but most of it feels optional to me where as the Monastery literally shaped your units). Also I 1000% prefer Alear as a character due to being properly fully voiced. Byleth feels so bland in comparison now.

Anyways that just my opinion. I still do enjoy both games at the end of the day. :)

I loved both Etie and Alfred and I used a combination of them sharing the Tiki Emblem as she boosts growth rate and my stat boosters and that helped a lot. Actually the two of them were some of the best on my team by the end even on hard classic. Etie even outclassed my Alcryst which for most people he’s usually way better.
I kept the emblems on the same characters mostly. Afterwards I realized I should have indeed switched them around. But I had read a bit on what other people found worked best and well, I kinda felt bad that Alear never actually turns into a dragon, even though everyone is going all the time "you are the Divine Dragon !!!", so I gave him Tiki. Probably not the best reason, but that was my thinking. ;)

I kinda gave an Emblem to whatever character didn't have one at the moment or I felt needed a better one, and thus in the end I had :
  • Alchryst (Lyn)
  • Alear (Tiki)
  • Céline (Soren)
  • Chloé (Three Houses)
  • Fogado (Camilla)
  • Hortensia (Micaiah)
  • Ivy (Veronica)
  • Kagetsu (Hector)
  • Pandreo (Byleth)
  • Rosado (Ike)
  • Timerra (Lucina)
  • Yunaka (Chrom)
  • Mauvier (Eirika)
  • Veyle (Corrin)
But like I said ; I played on Normal / Casual, so it probably didn't matter too much which Emblem or character I used. ;)

Oh, and I can listen to this endlessly on repeat. :)

Back