• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Splatoon Splatoon General Discussion

While the dlc is far from perfect I’ve been having fun with it. Currently have cleared the tower with all weapons aside from the final one. After that I plan on collecting all the chips and getting enough points for all the rewards you can purchase.

CAN I JUST SAY THAT SIDE ORDER ATE?? Like I loved it so much, I have been so out of the public video-game news loop and it surpassed my expectations. I lowkey love it more than Octo Expansion because of the re-playability. I 1000% Side Order the second day it was out haha. I love the Octoshot and I was so happy to finally have it back.

CAN I JUST SAY THAT SIDE ORDER ATE?? Like I loved it so much, I have been so out of the public video-game news loop and it surpassed my expectations. I lowkey love it more than Octo Expansion because of the re-playability. I 1000% Side Order the second day it was out haha. I love the Octoshot and I was so happy to finally have it back.

I love the Octoshot too! I’ve completed all the weapons but have yet to get all the chips and goodies from the shop, but I’ll definitely be going back to do those things when I have more time.

I just got the okay from my mom and I can get Splatoon 3! 🥳 Is there anything I should know since I never played Splatoon before except for a little bit of one at a friend’s house?

Also, how has your experiences with other players been? I’ve been hesitant to trying this or other multiplayer games because of toxicity (like Overwatch or pvp in WoW).

What in particular do you all like about the game?

Sorry for the silly questions. I’ve seen plenty of art about the game but don’t know much about it or the characters.

I did hear that Salmon Run is fun though 👀.

I just got the okay from my mom and I can get Splatoon 3! 🥳 Is there anything I should know since I never played Splatoon before except for a little bit of one at a friend’s house?

Also, how has your experiences with other players been? I’ve been hesitant to trying this or other multiplayer games because of toxicity (like Overwatch or pvp in WoW).

Sorry for the silly questions. I’ve seen plenty of art about the game but don’t know much about it or the characters.

Honestly don’t worry too much and just have fun. While jumping in to the online modes is exciting, playing the single player campaign can help teach you how to play so I’d try to play it along side playing online. The single player does have some lore and stuff too.

Also be sure to experiment with the different modes to find out what you like. I personally love Salmon Run and Turf War but Anarchy battles are a bit too competitive for my tastes. It’s worth giving all modes a shot though.

I personally haven’t really noticed many toxic players, but like with any game I’m sure there are some but for the most part it’s just a fun time.

Finally one last tip I’d say is don’t be afraid to take breaks from the game from time to time if you just aren’t feeling it. I play pretty regularly but even I’ve taken a week or so break when needed. You feel so much better when you return trust me. :)

Honestly don’t worry too much and just have fun. While jumping in to the online modes is exciting, playing the single player campaign can help teach you how to play so I’d try to play it along side playing online. The single player does have some lore and stuff too.

Also be sure to experiment with the different modes to find out what you like. I personally love Salmon Run and Turf War but Anarchy battles are a bit too competitive for my tastes. It’s worth giving all modes a shot though.

I personally haven’t really noticed many toxic players, but like with any game I’m sure there are some but for the most part it’s just a fun time.

Finally one last tip I’d say is don’t be afraid to take breaks from the game from time to time if you just aren’t feeling it. I play pretty regularly but even I’ve taken a week or so break when needed. You feel so much better when you return trust me. :)

Thanks so much and for taking the time to write that! :D That’s very helpful and good to know 🙂.

Something I warn new players to 3 is that the skill level is higher, so be prepared to lose a lot of matches in the beginning. But this is just a natural result of being a later installment of a franchise, so the veteran players have already familiarized themselves with the game mechanics, even at the casual level. Also certain weapons are locked until you level up.

Toxicity is not really much of an issue. Yeah, there's always negative people on the internet, but there's no in-game way to hurl insults at specific players. It's one of the many reasons Splatoon's player base is quite diverse.

What do I like? Dang near everything! The world building is incredibly unique, the characters are super cute and well designed, the clothes options are so cool, the music is full of bangers, the weapons are so fun to play and the plaza posts are either hilarious or amazing art pieces.

Splatoon has a great emphasis on customization and I think 3 makes it even easier. There are so many combinations of gear abilities that you can try with your weapons to see what works best for your play style. And since abilities are tied to your clothes, you can make it so that you look fabulous while splatting.

I second what Holla said: try all modes to see what you like, single player is good for familiarizing yourself with the different weapons, Salmon Run is super fun since it's the PvE mode and above all, have fun!

Something I warn new players to 3 is that the skill level is higher, so be prepared to lose a lot of matches in the beginning. But this is just a natural result of being a later installment of a franchise, so the veteran players have already familiarized themselves with the game mechanics, even at the casual level. Also certain weapons are locked until you level up.

Toxicity is not really much of an issue. Yeah, there's always negative people on the internet, but there's no in-game way to hurl insults at specific players. It's one of the many reasons Splatoon's player base is quite diverse.

What do I like? Dang near everything! The world building is incredibly unique, the characters are super cute and well designed, the clothes options are so cool, the music is full of bangers, the weapons are so fun to play and the plaza posts are either hilarious or amazing art pieces.

Splatoon has a great emphasis on customization and I think 3 makes it even easier. There are so many combinations of gear abilities that you can try with your weapons to see what works best for your play style. And since abilities are tied to your clothes, you can make it so that you look fabulous while splatting.

I second what Holla said: try all modes to see what you like, single player is good for familiarizing yourself with the different weapons, Salmon Run is super fun since it's the PvE mode and above all, have fun!

Thanks so much for the heads up about the skill level and for taking the time to reply 🙂. This is very helpful! Nice to hear about the customization and the world too! :D Will definitely take time to familiarize myself with everything 🙂.

welcome to the splatoon community! <3

I’ve been there before, Splatoon 3 is my first Splatoon game and I got it on release just because of the hype. Didn’t expect to like it so much, but here we are more than 500 hours into the game! 🙈 It’s my first real PvP shooter game too so the pressure to keep up with the skill level was definitely there when I first started lol ;w; But honestly it’s really nice for anxious people like me because there’s no real way to ‘receive’ toxicity from other players since there’s no voice chat (unlike in OW or Valorant where voice chats are almost always needed), so just play to your own speed c:

I agree with what others have said, try the single player mode first, it does a good job of introducing you to the various weapons, skills, and specials the game has to offer!! If you want a tip for quicker improvement, try getting used to motion controls as early as possible, it’s very very hard at first but once you get the hang of it, it’ll improve your own gameplay! Of course, you’re still free to use stick controls if you don’t like motion controls at all hehe. Play however you want!

I love splatoon because it feels less toxic than the PC PvP games, a match of turf only takes 3 minutes (while an anarchy battle and salmon run both take 5 mins), and both PvP and PvE modes are very fun ^^ I play the game almost daily, I enjoy experimenting various weapons and practicing on my main weapons. It’s so fun to see what others’ main weapons are too, the diversity of the weapons in this game are super nice since different weapon classes have different modes of playstyle! Some games segregate the roles into healers/supporters/defense/attackers, but splatoon has another approach in that all weapons can be attackers, it’s a matter if you’re a front/mid/backliner, which is super nice for those who prefer one position over the other (e.g. I main midline weapons because I prefer to stay some distance away from the enemy).

Hope you enjoy splatoon! Let us know anytime if you wanna play, I’m super down to playing with others on TBT <3

Thanks so much for replying and for taking the time to write all of that :D; very helpful 🙂. I forgot to mention that I have a switch lite. it does have motion control but i haven’t used it much so I’m not sure if it will be harder to use than on the regular switch 🤔.Yanrima told me the same about motion control so if I can figure it out on my switch lite. I’ll definitely try it and getting used to it early if I can 🙂.

Ooo that is awesome that the matches are pretty quick and sounds really interesting about the weapons! :D

Thanks so much! I’ll definitely be up to playing sometime 🙂. I need to get a nintendo subscription and order the game and some time to get familiar with everything, but I’ll be sure to post here or message you about playing some time if that is okay 🙂.

17938DE2-75FA-44E4-BA89-3BD800D64D8C.jpeg

Well this stings. My last match before splatfest too. I was hoping for one last win. All those kills and we still lost. My other teamates couldn't pay enough attention to see the other team slipping to our turf. Oh well.

Hi all! I was wondering for equipment traits, what are usually the best to have? is it better to have different ones on each piece of clothing or have the cloth have all the same like 4x swim speed boost? I haven’t gotten an outfit yet that I like, so I’m saving my sea snails until then, but I’m still interested to know what is the best trait to have to help in matches and if i should have different ones or try to have as much of a certain trait as possible.

Hi all! I was wondering for equipment traits, what are usually the best to have? is it better to have different ones on each piece of clothing or have the cloth have all the same like 4x swim speed boost? I haven’t gotten an outfit yet that I like, so I’m saving my sea snails until then, but I’m still interested to know what is the best trait to have to help in matches and if i should have different ones or try to have as much of a certain trait as possible.

Some of them depend on which weapon you're using! Which weap have you been using the most?

For generally useful abilities, there are some that the splatoon community calls "utility subs". Generally you can't go wrong with a piece of gear that has 1 sub-ability of each of the following:

Quick Super Jump: (i usually use more just because I like the speed) when jumping to home base from the middle of the map, you'll be on the ground preparing for a second (still vulnerable to attacks) before you actually lift off. Quick Super Jump abilities not only make the jump itself faster, but you'll be vulnerable on the ground for a shorter time! Even just one sub-ability of Quick Super Jump cuts down this time time noticeably! If things get scary and you need to jump home, this ability can help you survive

Ink Resistance Up: Normally you start slowly taking damage as soon as you even stub your toe on the enemy ink. Even that small bit of damage can be bad if you're already being shot at! If you stack Ink Resistance Up abilities, you can move slightly faster when stuck in enemy ink. BUT, I actually didn't know this until recently, Ink Resistance Up ALSO gives you some time before you start taking damage in enemy ink! With one sub ability, you can hit minor bumps in the road with little specks of enemy ink, without taking damage!

Sub resistance up: This ability lowers the amount of non-lethal damage taken from bombs and other subweapons. (So being right next to a bomb will still kill you of course, but if you're in its outer radius it won't deal as much splash damage) ...I'm going to keep it 100, I usually don't use this one so I can't speak to its effectiveness but I assume 1 sub reduces splash damage pretty well since everyone recommends it hahaha

Some of them depend on which weapon you're using! Which weap have you been using the most?

For generally useful abilities, there are some that the splatoon community calls "utility subs". Generally you can't go wrong with a piece of gear that has 1 sub-ability of each of the following:

Quick Super Jump: (i usually use more just because I like the speed) when jumping to home base from the middle of the map, you'll be on the ground preparing for a second (still vulnerable to attacks) before you actually lift off. Quick Super Jump abilities not only make the jump itself faster, but you'll be vulnerable on the ground for a shorter time! Even just one sub-ability of Quick Super Jump cuts down this time time noticeably! If things get scary and you need to jump home, this ability can help you survive

Ink Resistance Up: Normally you start slowly taking damage as soon as you even stub your toe on the enemy ink. Even that small bit of damage can be bad if you're already being shot at! If you stack Ink Resistance Up abilities, you can move slightly faster when stuck in enemy ink. BUT, I actually didn't know this until recently, Ink Resistance Up ALSO gives you some time before you start taking damage in enemy ink! With one sub ability, you can hit minor bumps in the road with little specks of enemy ink, without taking damage!

Sub resistance up: This ability lowers the amount of non-lethal damage taken from bombs and other subweapons. (So being right next to a bomb will still kill you of course, but if you're in its outer radius it won't deal as much splash damage) ...I'm going to keep it 100, I usually don't use this one so I can't speak to its effectiveness but I assume 1 sub reduces splash damage pretty well since everyone recommends it hahaha
Thanks so much! :D That is super helpful!

I’ve been using inkbrush nouveau, aerospray mc the most. Almost am starting to use splatana wiper, aerospray RC, and bloblobbet deco too.

Thanks so much! :D That is super helpful!

I’ve been using inkbrush nouveau, aerospray mc the most. Almost am starting to use splatana wiper, aerospray RC, and bloblobbet deco too.
Hmm I'm not familiar with bloblobber enough to recommend anything, but on all of the others it might be good to have Swim Speed Up, to help move around and spread more ink. Quick Respawn might also be good, it speeds up your respawn time if you die without killing anyone. Which, with a short-range weapon like Aerospray/Brush or an aggressive weapon like Splatana Wiper, will usually happen at least once in a match.

Special Charge Up and Special Saver might be good on Aerospray RG (the gold one) in particular, since the Booyah Bombs can be very powerful if used well!

Thanks so much and for your time! Much appreciated

I’ve seen some players with a piece of gear will all the same traits, which is why I ask which is better to do. Sounds like the way I’ve been doing it at least with these weapons is okay 🙂.

For bloblobber and the slosher, I’m thinking probably the ones that reduce the cost since they drain ink really quick.

Last edited:
I was wondering: when do you all use your sea snails? do you wait until you have a full set of clothes you like or do you use them right away regardless?

I was wondering: when do you all use your sea snails? do you wait until you have a full set of clothes you like or do you use them right away regardless?
I use my snails for gear that I can’t upgrade in the shops, such as amiibo gear, Wandercrust gear or special event gear. The amount of snails you need rises the more you upgrade, so I want to use them sparingly.

All other gear you can add slots and stars with cash, so it’s better to use money, since you can just get that by grinding SR or with a ticket.

And yeah once I got my amiibo gear, I immediately add slots with snails. I mean, I want to wear the drip, yanno?

Back