• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

driving

driving is awful, its always terrified me, and rightfully so as it is super dangerous. im also not a fan of the environmental effects of cars and the extent car transportation dominates public infrastructure. i recently was able to get rid of my car since moving, and i hope to never have one again. i will be happy when cars dont exist anymore. thankfully the area i live in now has good sidewalks, but it was too common for pedestrians, even students just going to class, to get killed by cars not paying attention/due to poor pedestrian infrastructure.

i think your anxiety is absolutely logical. there is nothing wrong with you. driving needs to be done carefully and with respect for the lives of others bc it is dangerous. if you decide to start driving, good luck and drive safe

I can tell you when everyone first starts driving they are scared and nervous. Eventually as you drive more and get more acclimated to the car/how they drive it becomes a lot less nerve racking and almost becomes second nature. The best way to alleviate this fear is to get practice. If you don't feel ready now, that is perfectly fine, but being a bit nervous is understandable adn everyone feels it!

Practice, practice, practice. That will help you a lot.

I was SUPER nervous when I started driving. I thought I'd never be able to drive and I'd just be those that didn't. But my Dad took me out on country roads to practice that were less populated and eventually I got comfortable. I got my license when I was around 19.

I'm still nervous in huge cities like Toronto, but I can drive in my own and on the highway just fine.

Weirdly, and for no reason I can explain other than I "thought it would be funny", I got a license to drive a tractor on the road when I was 16. No idea why it was even given to me cos I was just this teeny tiny thing (I grew very late) jumping hard onto the pedals of this huge machinery to make it work, yet somehow that was deemed safe to have on the road haha. In the uk we can't drive til we're 17 and it's very expensive, so it's usually only the more wealthy parents' who pay for their kids to drive at this age. However this place was offering free tractor lessons/tests for 16+ so I did that haha. Didn't learn to drive a car til later and didn't own one for many years, due to being poor and not really needing a car in the city.

I get some of my absolute worst PTSD flashbacks in cars now. I don't know if I'll ever feel fully safe in a car. When my son was a baby, his father randomly threw me out the car and drove off with my baby at speed and I get terrible flashbacks surrounding that. Another ex didn't know how to deal with it, so he would start hitting me during an anxiety attack, which has sadly made me worse. Luckily I barely need to drive and prefer walking most places anyway.

I got my permit at 17 and got my license at 18. A lot of my friends already had their permits or license during high school. Where I live it’s pretty much a necessity to learn how to drive because everything is far. I knew one person who didn’t get her permit or license for years - no idea if she did by now, but at the time she has other family members or friends to give her a ride.
Everyone is scared in the beginning when they’re first behind the wheel and that’s completely normal! I highly recommend hiring a driving instructor/driving school. My dad taught me as well, but we would butt heads on how well I was driving, so it’s much more easier to drive with an instructor instead. It wasn’t necessary for me to hire an instructor, but if opportunity is available then I suggest getting one. They’ll tell you what to expect in a driving test and what to work on. I practiced mostly at my high school’s back parking lot when I first learned with my dad. It was pretty empty and I could practice turning and going over speed bumps without worrying about other vehicles around me.

i’m 16 and haven’t got my drivers permit yet because i don’t really see the purpose of getting one right now because i never go anywhere. maybe i’ll get a permit or license in the future but im scared of getting distracted and crashing

First, I want to say how eye-opening it is seeing people sharing their thoughts about driving in general. I don't blame others for feeling anxious when they get behind the wheel, especially if it triggers flashbacks to some. You shouldn't be pressured into getting a driver's licence if you have no need for it or don't feel comfortable driving a car.

I got my driver's permit in early 2018 after failing the written test for the first time. In Ontario, that would be the G1 licence (and I'm still in that class as of this post). Because of the restrictions of being in G1, I can't drive on my own (though, I can see where that rule is coming from). Moreover, I didn't take driving school classes until somewhere in 2019 due to school. When I first started out, I can tell you from experience that I was really nervous! And as with all things when done for the first time ever, you're bound to make some errors, and boy did I make mistakes indeed! Thankfully, my driving instructor pointed out what I did wrong and figured out what NOT to do should I be in a certain situation again. On top of that, I got comfortable eventually and felt happy every time when I did something right in a safe manner.

If I recall correctly, I had to drive ten hours in total in driving school before taking the G2 test. Unfortunately, the pandemic hit and really put a spanner in the works which suspended driving tests to advance to G2. Because of this, the backlog for people taking the tests piled up meaning that mine kept getting pushed back a few times. I've had to wait well over a year just to be able to book an appointment for the test and thankfully, my driving instructor was able to book one at a much earlier date compared to the original. I'll be taking my test in a couple of weeks time and hope that I'll pass in one go. I'm constantly practicing my parking when my dad doesn't have work, so this is sure to help me out! I've been reviewing some things as well and watching this one Youtuber recently about driving on the roads. While their road system is totally different compared to Canada, there are still some points to take away from that's worth learning.

I think I should also take this opportunity to share some miscellaneous thoughts about driving, with most of them about defensive driving and keeping others safe. My goodness, the driving standards of some people from where I live are terrible. I won't list every single thing that grinds my gears, but not signaling, cutting people off in a lane, and trying to beat the light is one of the many dangerous things I've noticed being in the passenger seat while my dad drives. Let's not also forget that having bad driving behaviour puts everyone else in danger. Don't even get me started with road rage. We've all got to do our part. You're driving a hunk of metal that weighs at least a ton and it's not pretty at all when you hit people with it. Apparently, there's a beef between cyclists and drivers that just reeks entitlement, but I don't want to go down this road. Seriously, is it worth shaving a few seconds off your commuting time when you've just narrowly hit someone? I do not approve of this kind of behaviour at all, so when I get behind the wheel, I'm going to do my absolute best to stay focused on the road and not getting stuck in a rocky situation. Honk at me all you want impatient drivers, but I ain't caving into your horrible driving standards. If you're going to brake check me, you shouldn't be driving a car at all.

Mini rant: I don't get the mindset from some people who think women can't drive or just being angry at them for no reason. They don't bat an eyelid when someone drives until they see a woman behind the wheel. Uh, what? It's not like having bad driving behaviour is exclusive to a single group. What if that person is still getting used to their driving? C'mon, don't make ridiculous assumptions like this. Mini rant over.

As a person who plays racing games (and likes cars), I personally love to drive if others aren't being a pain in the butt lol. When I play Gran Turismo and I'm on my own at a race track, I either go for time trials or go for a slow drive to ease my mind. I still don't have my G2 yet, so this is a nice alternative as it's readily available and that I don't need a licence to play racing games. While the racing environment is far different compared to public roads and that I'm playing on a controller, I feel like there are a few things that I can apply to real driving. It's helped increase my awareness and reflexes somewhat, so this should be helpful whenever someone makes erratic movements on the road. I've also been driving in first-person view recently to help get a better feel of where I should put my car on the road. Dip a tire in the grass? No problem, I'll make a small correction and make mental reference points on the car where it can and can't go before hitting something. My car is about to spin out? Ease off the throttle and steer in the direction you want to go (hard to visualize in words, but I hope you get my point). Of course, each car is different, so they will all have different characteristics in some way such as drivetrain, weight, horsepower, braking performance, etc. I will admit, though, that despite using the manual option when changing gears, I actually don't know how in real life since I only press buttons. On top of that, many cars today have automatic transmission, so it doesn't give me opportunities how to drive a car with manual transmission. Trust me, I really want to learn how.

For people willing to learn how to drive, it's important to have a driving instructor that constructively points out your mistakes in a calm manner. Shouting at people learning to drive just isn't going to make things better, on top of some drivers on the road having no concern for others but themselves. If anything, the person learning how to drive will only get more nervous and lose focus! It's important that we should bring each other up to be better drivers and show a good example. And take the time to watch videos on how to drive safely and parking correctly as well. Remember, we all start somewhere when trying things for the first time!

My apologies for this huge post lol. I tend to get passionate about driving since it has something to do with cars and not acting like an idiot towards others.

I got my permit as soon as I was legally allowed to (here in Ohio you have to be 15 1/2 to get a permit and 16 to get a license). however I did not get my license until about a year ago (6 years later) because 1. I had some trouble operating a motor vehicle bc autism kinda slowed my development down and 2. in Ohio before you're 18 you have to take drivers ed and my parents couldn't afford it.

anyways it seems like a lot of people here hate driving, I personally love it! I'm a sucker for classic Volkswagens and I have a 2007 Beetle convertible that's super fun to drive. once I got the hang of it I wasn't scared at all, I love going places and being able to drive by myself. im still a little nervous driving on interstate highways but i just did it a few weeks ago and it was perfectly fine. but yeah i usually go on (at least) a short drive once every other day cause it's a great opportunity to get some fresh air :)

I got everything (learned, permit, licence) after I turned 18. I still have a lot of anxiety on the highway/freeway though. If you don't need a license, I think it's perfectly fine to not get one. Especially if public transport is good in your area.

One plus of having a license is having a way to identify myself as an adult when I go to bars or other age-restricted places (versus having to bring a passport). And if you drive, you have options to remove yourself from bad situations physically!

I got everything (learned, permit, licence) after I turned 18. I still have a lot of anxiety on the highway/freeway though. If you don't need a license, I think it's perfectly fine to not get one. Especially if public transport is good in your area.

One plus of having a license is having a way to identify myself as an adult when I go to bars or other age-restricted places (versus having to bring a passport). And if you drive, you have options to remove yourself from bad situations physically!

I just wanted to quote this because (at least in Ontario) you can get a Photo ID Card as a stand in for a drivers license! It’s really handy when you need ID because it’s treated a lot like a drivers license. Just for all my other drivers license-less friends out there who may not have a passport!! Having to bring my health card and a letter to prove my address can be a hassle sometimes.

I just wanted to quote this because (at least in Ontario) you can get a Photo ID Card as a stand in for a drivers license! It’s really handy when you need ID because it’s treated a lot like a drivers license. Just for all my other drivers license-less friends out there who may not have a passport!! Having to bring my health card and a letter to prove my address can be a hassle sometimes.
Yes, I have a photo ID. It just says on the back “Not a driver’s license” but it looks the exact same. Instead of “DL” for Driver’s License, it says “ID” for identification.

Yes, I have a photo ID. It just says on the back “Not a driver’s license” but it looks the exact same. Instead of “DL” for Driver’s License, it says “ID” for identification.
yup yup, absolutely valid. In the U.S. you can get a government-issued ID as an alternative to a Driver's License! I just happened to have a passport which meant I (lazily) didn't feel the need to apply for another ID.

I got my learner's permit at 15 1/2 and my driver's license at 16 years old, both as soon as legally possible. It was important to me because I live in a rural area and driving was the equivalent of freedom for me. The public transportation is horrible, so being able to drive myself was the only way to get out of the house and do things with my friends and boyfriend.

However, despite being super excited to learn how to drive, it did not come without anxiety. I panicked a few times while learning and made multiple mistakes. Once, I broke down in tears trying to merge onto the highway and had to pull over. But I managed to learn because it was something that I really wanted to do and now it's not only second nature, but something that I really enjoy doing.

I was lucky because driver's education classes were available for free at the public school I attended, so I signed up for those the first year they were available to me. My dad also took me driving in empty parking lots and on quiet country roads, so I worked my way up to driving around more vehicles. The first day I walked out of the DMV with my license and my dad asked me to drive home, I was so anxious, though. I didn't have to drive far or through many crowded streets, but it felt like my first time driving for real. Every time a vehicle came towards me in the opposite lane, I got scared and moved too far towards the edge of the road. But I quickly corrected myself and got comfortable behind the wheel.

Everyone is different, though, and my experience will not be the same as yours. It's perfectly fine if you are too anxious to drive and you shouldn't feel forced to just because everyone else is doing it. As long as you have others to drive you places or a good public transportation system where you live, you can get by without driving. But if you do want to learn how to drive, I suggest just taking it slow. Practice as often as possible in empty parking lots, so that you can make mistakes without causing any major accidents. Learn at your pace and don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

I got my permit (driving with a licensed adult only) at 15, my starter license (can drive by myself but cannot be out past midnight) at 16, and my actual license at 17. My school offered free driver's ed and our instructor was allowed to administer driving tests so I was able to take the test with someone I knew and trusted.

I ended up not driving at all in college though because I went to a big school in a big city with a robust public transportation system (where my school ID doubled as an unlimited pass for the buses/trains). I honestly don't really like driving even now because I struggle with anxiety and intrusive thoughts, but I agree with the others when they say that practice is key. What helped for me was getting a job I needed to drive to. I babied it until I got confident with my route, and getting confident with one route helped me to learn how to get confident with other routes.

You can't control what other people do on the road, much as you might want to. You can only control yourself and your own vehicle. Having a good grasp on your own reaction time and how your vehicle handles (how well it turns, how well it brakes, etc...) is crucial to developing confidence behind the wheel. And that confidence in your own space is what allows you to tune out when people around you do dumb things that - as annoying as they are - don't actually impact you.

When you're just starting out is the scariest it'll ever be: people are as dumb as ever, you don't know the vehicle you're driving, and you don't have the general experience necessary to make assumptions about the vehicle. What's important is to just start slow but to fight through it with the knowledge that one day, while you may not love driving, you can at least comfortably get from point A to point B. I'm not saying this to scare anyone, just to point out that those feelings of being overwhelmed on the road are 100% valid.

I'm tuning 20 this year and I have never got my driver's license. I did plan on doing so, but the pandemic kind of destroyed it, because when I was able to get it, no schools for that were open! But honestly, I'm not sure if I need it nowadays. Most of the year I live in a big city where I don't necessarily need a car, so getting the license kind of shifted to the "sometime in the future" plans.
I was also always scared of driving because of my short attention span. I was genuinely afraid that even if I got the license by some miracle, I'd be a danger on the road and crash or something. Just generally bad thoughts about it, so ig that that is also why driver's license isn't a priority for me.
Another point that it sure is expensive here, probably rightfully so. But, as a university student who doesn't really need it that much and moves from one city to another constantly, it can be lot to pay for something that I'm not sure if I'd be able to finish in one go.
So, don't worry about not getting the license as soon as you're able to. I know plenty of people who didn't get their license until later on in their life. Finding the right reason or gaining enough confidence to actually break the fear of driving sure is hard, but not impossible, so even if you don't get the license now, you still have your entire life ahead!!

I got mine at 17 and I personally really love driving, I remember it calming me down when I had exams, between my breaks of studying I would just hop in, put on music and drove around in the area. I also have friends who don't have their license for different reasons (don't want to, scared, no car, etc..) and I think that's totally fine, too. Depending on where you live, with public transport or a bike you can basically get everywhere you want so for many people it's not needed to own a car. There's def nothing wrong with you being scared on the road, it can indeed be a stressful place especially when it's busy.

I got my permit when I was 16 but I moved back to my home state a few years after that so it is no longer valid. I'm 27 now and don't drive/don't have a permit or license. I live in a city in New York state though (Not NYC), so it's easy to get around places, most stuff is walking distance and if not, there's good public transportation. I doubt I'll ever drive.

I got my permit when I turned 15 and then my license about 2 weeks ago. Driving absolutely terrified me and I did everything I could to avoid practicing so I could push off getting my license...in the end I realized I was freaking out over nothing. Being able to just drive yourself places and not needing to rely on a someone else for a ride has been a huge plus and honestly passing my driving test and getting my license gave me a huge confidence boost in my driving and it no longer scares me at all. I understand it's nerve wracking at first, but once you get the hang of it it just keeps getting easier and easier.

Don’t worry your feelings are totally normal! I wish public transportation was easier to access in America. I don’t really enjoy driving that much and try to avoid it whenever possible. I mean driving without others around can be pretty fun, it’s other drivers that scare me.

I don’t know if its just me either but I feel like lately ever since the pandemic people have just gotten more aggressive on the road I don’t know. I constantly see people running through red lights etc. There’s one traffic circle near me that has at least one accident a day. My own dad not too long ago got into an accident because someone decided to ignore the yield sign and just keep driving right into him.. there just happened to be police officer parked there that saw the whole thing.

I wouldn’t let fears like that stop you though! There’s nothing like having your car car and being able to go places on your own.

Also speaking of driving my brother is buying a manual car soon and I might learn how to drive it! I’m anxious enough driving an automatic but he insists it’s so much “fun” LOL

Last edited:
Back