• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Wisdom Teeth Removal

Have you had to have your wisdom teeth removed?

• Total voters
I still have them, I apparently had enough space for all 4 per my old dentist. I remember they used to bother me so much when they came in though.

I still have mine... T_T
I think it's interesting though that you can be born with all four, none, two, three!! EVEN EXTRA?! My coworker has 5, and her brother has 6?! SOMEHOW?!

I only have two top ones, thankfully. I hope I can get them removed soon though, because I am in immense pain :> :")

Smilin thru the pain, for real,,

I've only had one removed - it had fractured down the middle and the pain it caused was unbearable, I was on critical care in hospital at the time for something else and the pain was doing nothing for my stats, none of the general painkillers worked and morphine has made me terribly sick, in the end they gave me some kind of lollipop painkiller (think it was a form of fentanyl, probably helped in a way that I was on ICU as it was the only place in that hospital you could get it and was the only thing that did something 😅)

The doctors contacted the dental team and the next morning it was getting removed - I was worried about pain or the tooth splintering even more but it was done so quickly and with no issues and as soon as it was gone I had no problems from it, just the typical numbness from the injections and a lot of tiredness.

My are long gone, in addition to two others towards the back because I apparently grind my teeth at night. A lot. I’ve had a night guard for about a month, and there’s already bite marks in it in several places. 😳 I wish there was something that would make me totally stop grinding them!

update: mine are gone as of last month. it wasn’t too scary and i had zero pain afterwards (zero pain medicine, maybe my surgeon was just that good.)

i actually remember a lot from the procedure, of course they anesthetized me but i remember my dad leaving the room and them sticking the tools in my mouth, maybe i woke up towards the end.

I'll be getting mine removed soon. Not looking forward to it, but it's an everyday procedure.

I'll have to be under for an hour, though. My biggest fear is acting weird/saying embarrassing things when I come out. lol

I still have all of mine and (lucky me) they are impacted. All the professionals I've talked to have said that it's pretty 50/50 as to what I should do next. I'm almost 30, so the risk of complications is much higher than if I were a teenager or young adult, but that also means that if I keep waiting and develop an infection down the road, I'll probably really wish I had them out now!

One of my teeth is still pretty high up and the surgeon was worried about it opening some kind of nightmarish passageway to my sinuses or something??? Horror movie material. So I might end up getting 3/4 removed. I grind my teeth badly at night, and I also have a consistent ache where my wisdom teeth are, so that makes the decision harder. I feel like the wisdom teeth probably are causing some pain, but it's also normal to have jaw pain with tooth clenching, so how to tell the true source of the pain? This is one of my major stressors right now because I'm so tired of dealing with the constant discomfort, but I'm also terrified of having nerve damage or some other long-term problem if I choose to go through with the procedure. I wish I'd had healthcare from ages 20-26 so somebody could have caught this sooner.

Yep, had all four of them removed at once in 2018. One of them was actually growing sideways too, so I had them removed in time.

Mine were removed. Luckily for me, I was one of those people who didn't need them removed as I had enough room in my mouth, but since they started to scratch my cheeks I opted to have them removed. Fortunately, since all four were fully in and non-impacted, I had a really easy procedure. No pain or any sort of complications after, and surprisingly, no swelling either.

I had mine removed. Interestingly, I only had 3. I wanted to keep mine, but the doctor wouldn’t let me??? It still riles me up to this day, they were my teeth! I grew them! And they didn’t let me take them home. Seriously, I will never stop raging over this.

Mine were pulled when I was awake. I don't know how common that is because most said they were put to sleep. It kind of reminded me of that one movie Chris Farely played in Almost Heroes (had to Google it) where he's getting a tooth pulled. Heard teeth cracking and my head was getting jerked around. Fun stuff.

I didn't feel any pain, but I felt the force. It hurt recovering and my face swell, but that was probably because I had a butcher of a surgeon.

Mine were pulled when I was awake. I don't know how common that is because most said they were put to sleep. It kind of reminded me of that one movie Chris Farely played in Almost Heroes (had to Google it) where he's getting a tooth pulled. Heard teeth cracking and my head was getting jerked around. Fun stuff.

I didn't feel any pain, but I felt the force. It hurt recovering and my face swell, but that was probably because I had a butcher of a surgeon.
I've had two wisdom teeth pulled at separate times in adulthood. I was awake for the first one. They gave me shots to numb my gums and then went to work. The shots were the only painful part. I could feel him wiggling the tooth around and then a very satisfying pop as it came free. I had minimal pain and swelling afterwards too. That dentist must have been pretty good.

I was asleep for the second one. This was a different dentist's office and it was my first (and last) visit with them. They seemed to have no patience with me. The assistant jammed the x-ray plates into my mouth so hard that I gagged and once that reflex started I couldn't stop it. So she said they'd have to put me under.

Back