Do you ever just find an insect or small animal, and keep it...?

When I was younger, there were a lot of caterpillars in the park. I found one and pushed it on a swing. Put it back on a tree afterwards.

I don't really like to bring bugs into my house though.

Glad to hear Bart is doing well :)

I completely forgot to say about the times I've found dogs loose and had to bring them home. I've found 3 within the last year alone, one of the poor things was blind and going off his legs. Broke my heart, especially how trusting he was of me. Another was a well looked after husky and another a black lab. Got the lab and husky returned easy enough but the old dog had no collar on him and wasn't micro chipped. Had to leave him at a shelter. I would have loved to have taken him in but I've got 2 of my own and it's just not possible with the situation I'm in. Still think about him and hope he may have found a home to spend his last few years.

A friend of mine also managed to acquire a cat, he's been with her for years now.just turned up one day and never left. No collar or chip and he's very much a home cat so no idea where he came from

I was never allowed to bring home and keep strays. There has been times where we found dogs and take them into our yard while we wait for animal control to contact the owners.

I would never need to do a bug. They gross me out. I'd love to take a stray cat in. My one friend fosters cats for an animal fostering and adoption services.

I hope to do that one day.

I am also hoping to get two gerbils soon tho!

Ew.. no the only things we get here are large rats down where the stores are or just random bugs flipping everywhere :(

We adopted a cat. It was during the winter on Christmas Eve and we could hear a meowing when in our kitchen. When we went to investigate she was sitting in the small between the gap between our house and the next. It took a while to get her to come say hi but eventually she came out and from that moment she didn't look back. We shared many a good time together after that and she was so friendly and loving. We kind of saw it as a Christmas present.

I enjoyed reading even more replies today! My friend spent the weekend with me, so the last two days have been very busy. She just went home lol. Bart is still doing well though, he's eating his food, he decided to chill in his sponge dish for a good bit of the night. I guess he wanted to cool down. I was worried about how much time he had spent just lying in the bowl, but when I came home from doing some things today I caught him running around his tank lol. I added a couple of rotten grapes to his food dish, and some more lettuce, which he tossed everywhere. I'll have to clean his home soon. He's doing well though, and doesn't seem to dislike his current living situation. I got some advice from my sister's friend as well, who works in a Petsmart and occasionally has to feed similar insects. I'll try and update this thread with posts about Bart every now and again. This will also allow me to hear about more stories and opinions from other people :) Thanks for sharing everyone <3

One time, I caught a Green Anole lizard (our backyard is crawling with them) and took her in. I named her Charlotte. She was sweet and never tried to run away. She died of calcium deficiency. :(

One time, I caught a Green Anole lizard (our backyard is crawling with them) and took her in. I named her Charlotte. She was sweet and never tried to run away. She died of calcium deficiency. :(

That really sucks. Sorry about your Anole. My older sister also had an incident with anoles when she was younger. She took good care of them, but they had babies without anyone's knowledge. Unfortunately, the babies escaped from the tank and died. My family only knew they existed, because they found the bodies.

Onto a slightly brighter note. Today, Bartholomew ate some more of his grapes. He really tore up one of them, and then chose to sleep in a sand burrow under part of the grape he ate. It's cute lol. Even though Dung beetles usually build their homes under dung, I guess they'll live under any large enough food supply. In this case, it was a large piece of rotting grape for Bart. :)

I did this a lot in elementary school and a little bit of middle school. When I was in 3rd grade, everyone in my class would look for rolly pollies during recess and keep them in their pencil boxes as pets. I don't know if people in the other 3rd grade classes did this but almost everyone in my class did this. They even put dirt and grass inside.

When I was in middle school I moved to a new house and there was this bush/branch/whatever near my house that had a bunch of caterpillars and I kept a few as pets.

I did this a lot in elementary school and a little bit of middle school. When I was in 3rd grade, everyone in my class would look for rolly pollies during recess and keep them in their pencil boxes as pets. I don't know if people in the other 3rd grade classes did this but almost everyone in my class did this. They even put dirt and grass inside.

When I was in middle school I moved to a new house and there was this bush/branch/whatever near my house that had a bunch of caterpillars and I kept a few as pets.

This sounds exactly like the kinda stuff I would've done as a kid. I wanted to keep everything I found. It was just so cute and cool. My mom used to take my brother and I outside where we'd catch and release a lot of nocturnal critters like toads, frogs, and lightning bugs.

I used to keep bugs all the time when I was little, but alas, I learned that it was way better for them to roam around free and untamed like the little critters they were meant to be.

ALso my sister was freaked out by them and we used to share a room so that was a problem ;(

Bumping this up just to say that today marks a week since I adopted (kidnapped) Bart, and he's still alive! Yay! That is all.

Back