• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Songs you once liked that were ruined by the media?

I know of one song that had the complete opposite effect when it came to appearing on an ad...

"Love Theme from St. Elmo's Fire" by David Foster - Either in January 2014 or 2015 (I forget the exact year, but I think it was just before AT&T took over the company), DirecTV ran a series of ads featuring Rob Lowe (one of the main actors who appeared in the '80s film St. Elmo's Fire; and the only main actor from the film still appearing regularly on TV today) advertising the downsides of cable TV and what average people using it frustratingly have to go through. I actually liked these ads because they were humorous and all used the love theme from said movie at the end. This was the first time I heard the song, and fell in love with it (no pun intended). Unfortunately, I think there were rights issues when it came to using the song in the ads, and the campaign only lasted a single month before all ads featuring Lowe were pulled. Ironically enough, this is how I found out who Rob Lowe is. He looks GREAT for being a former '80s teen actor, and I'm happy that I found out about this song and movie from these ads. One of the rare times I found an ad campaign very likeable.

It is really hard for me to let media ruin a song that I really enjoy just because I liked it before the media came in and either became obsessed with it and played it all the time or decided it was a bad song and no one should listen to it. The only issue I have ever had is when people act like they discovered something first even though a song has been out for a while (for example Running up that hill from Kate Bush on Stranger Things) and then people don't believe you that you've known or enjoyed that song for quite a while. Of course, I would never make someone feel bad for discovering older music or artists because I think it is great when younger generations get into older music because it creates a longevity for that band or artist.

Anything by LMFAO... the radio killed it to absolute death... They had good songs until I heard it 50 times in a day. Now I can't listen to any of them... it's just too much lol

I know Queen are amazing technically but I’m not that into their songs.

Other than Killer Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody all their songs are soured by overexposure. Not ruined but it’s like *sigh* this again

Anything by LMFAO... the radio killed it to absolute death... They had good songs until I heard it 50 times in a day. Now I can't listen to any of them... it's just too much lol
"Party Rock Anthem" was played to death when it was first released. It's not a bad song, but I'm tired of hearing it because of its overplaying alone. If the amount of times it played on the radio was lowered, it would be an otherwise great party song.

Other than Killer Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody all their songs are soured by overexposure. Not ruined but it’s like *sigh* this again
Queen has some great songs that are almost never heard, such as a lot of those sung by drummer Roger Taylor. We all know that Freddie Mercury had an amazing voice, but Taylor's got such a unique, raspy voice that has some power as well. Some good Roger Taylor songs I can think of include "Tenement Funster", "I'm in Love with My Car" My strange addictions, anyone?, "Fight from the Inside", "Rock It (Prime Jive)" and "A Human Body". Heck, even guitarist Brian May sung a few of his penned songs and sounds a bit similar to Mercury. Unfortunately, if a Queen song is not sung by the main guy, it won't get played on the radio.

I really love the song "Fly Like An Eagle" from Space Jam, but the CONSTANT overplaying of it on the radio and in grocery stores over the years has definitely kind of soured it for me, lol.

I would have enjoyed Frank Sinatra's classic "My Way" more if the first thing that came to mind when I think about it wasn't those Colonguard ads.
"I screened with Colonguard and did it my way!"

Wormkng at a movie theatre your subjected to listening to end credit songs, and over my years I've had plenty of songs ruined from the shere amount of listening to them while cleaning.

Which is unfortunate.

Honestly even for me, Bohemian Rhapsody is soured by overexposure and I'm not even sure it's even a good song now.

Nyot exactly "mainstream" in any way, but for a long time Kikuo's fans (especially the ones who only listen to his absolute most popular stuff) made me really dislike his music... Enough to the point where for a long time I outright despised it until I started listening to him again last year and realised he makes some AMAZING stuff. I'm still nyot very big on any of his most popular songs for that reason and he's made some especially detestable stuff (Tunnel Adventure, Sea Is and ESPECIALLY Fun Escape from the Human Flesh Forest are pretty bad) but overall he's become one of my favourite producers nyow!

There's alsyo a lot of stuff I've become less keen on as I got older (the amount of musicians I went from loving to thinking of as just above-average radio filler or even outright bad in the span of just a few years is INSANE) but I don't think that's exactly the focus of this thread.
minioverwhelmed.png

Almost anything from Metallica's black album. I still enjoy them a bit but rarely listen to them. I prefer anything from their first 4 albums anyway.

Anything by Phil Collins other than Easy Lover and In the Air. Ugh! All his songs sound exactly the same and I can’t stand his voice! It’s so dull and boring when you think about it. Plus he sort of ruined Disney’s Tarzan by literally singing every single song except the Camp song which he gave to Rosie O’Donnell which just makes things even worse and this sort of disconnects the viewer from the movie and the characters. Are we expected to believe that the inner thoughts of Tarzan during his I Want and his learning something new songs are all voiced by Phil? That would be irritating if that were true. Plus the Music Choice 89s channel keeps on insisting to play Phil’s version of True Colors which by the way actually came out in the 90s and definitely doesn’t belong on the channel and things are made even worse as they claim it’s the original version by Cyndi Lauper and state trivia associated with her version of the song. It’s just a total mess every time that channel plays True Colors and they play it quite often too!

I unironically like "Careless Whisper" and I still think it's a great song.

Pumped Up Kicks is a catchy song, but the memes are unsettling.

Having lived through such a situation, I now keep the song off my playlists. I don't get any joy from hearing it.

Like...I have no personal grudge against the song and wouldn't turn the radio off because of it. But I don't want to go find it anymore either. I'm just done with it.

literally any undertale song (save for Power of NEO and Your Best Nightmare), ESPECIALLY megalovania. I'm glad I abandoned my Geno-Route in Snowdin, because I would probably reset at the sans fight after 10 failed attemps because his song would drive me insane because of the memes it spawned.

"what a wonderful world" by louis armstrong.
i used to like the song so much, but after reading the ending of stone ocean (iykyk :(), i cannot listening to it anymore. there was a point of time that i'd shed tears just listening to the beginning notes. i don't do that anymore but i still can't listen to the song without getting sad.

Idol and Racing Into The Night, both by Yoasobi 😭 I loveeed listening to them but when they got very mainstream and it appeared countless times in videos and trends, I've been hearing them everywhere and I could not escape them anymore.

Also the current direction OnK is taking also ruined Idol for me. I want to enjoy Idol in peace without associating it with the manga but I cannot.

I can’t explain how upset I get when I hear David Bowie songs in commercials

Also I never liked it but that song that’s like “Toniiiiiiight we are young so let’s set the world on fire 🎶” is just a car commercial song to me now, the ad that used it got played sooo much

I can’t explain how upset I get when I hear David Bowie songs in commercials
This. I'm a big fan of Bowie's '70s and (early) '80s stuff, but "Heroes" (the song, not the album) was ruined for me because of the endless amount of covers by other artists that would play in many inspirational ads. Like, they may sound powerful, but the original is the only truly powerful version to me. You can't beat Bowie's voice cracks that make the song super genuine. It sounds horrible when others try to replicate that or pitch-correct themselves.

But in reality, Bowie's other songs should never appear in ads.

Siivagunner’s ruined a lot of songs for me, but I don’t mind that much since the channel is clearly supposed to troll. There’s one time where they crossed the line, which is with Aquatic Ambience, but not because they ruined the song, instead because of what it was showing on screen. I don’t want to talk about it anymore, let’s move on.

Just like some people have said, I also hate it when people take perfectly normal songs and make them into trap remixes. The worst part is knowing that people who don’t know the song and are being exposed to it now will probably only like the original version ironically.

There are some songs I don’t like because they’ve been overplayed. The biggest example is All I Want For Christmas by Mariah Carey, which isn’t even a bad song, it’s just the only thing you hear in stores in November and December. The same can be said about All Star by Smash Mouth.

Finally, Last Christmas was always a great song, but I’ll never be able to look at it the same after hearing this absolutely dreadful remix of it. I think I’ll just end here so I don’t have to think about it anymore.

Last edited:
Back