• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Dialect

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
I live in Arizona, but I was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I have picked up on Pittsburgh dialect from living there so long before moving. I vacationed to New York back in 2011 and managed to let “pop” slip out of my mouth a few times when I wanted a drink. People just looked at me funny. There is also a word “neby” and it’s basically a synonym for nosy. I actually know in my mind that it’s a word only Pittsburgh uses and I stopped in my tracks a few time because I couldn’t think of a word to use in place of “neby.” Yeah, it’s actually a real struggle. :( I do struggle to remember that nosy is even a word in the dictionary.

Also, I LOVE pierogies. Pierogies are food. If you ever travel close to the Pittsburgh area, please try them. I moved due to wanting a change of scenery and the weather is terrible up north. Plus, I wanted to go somewhere where nobody knew who I was just to start fresh.

So, my dialect is

Drink = Pop
Shopping Cart = Buggy
Nosy = Neby (unless you’re from Pittsburgh I doubt anyone would use this)

Those are basically the only ones I can think of right now. What dialect do you use where you live?

Last edited:
I don?t have a dialect. Being from Texas people might expect you to have a western accent and talk like this: ?Well, you?re a darn tootin? right, partner!? But I don?t. It doesn?t even sound western at all. If anything, people have told me my voice can sound British at times even though I know there?s no part of me that?s British. I?m just glad my mom spent her life fixing her western accent to a normal voice, so that my sister and I just talk normally, without any accent or dialect.

EDIT: As far as dialect goes specifically, there?s no words I really replace with anything else to be honest either.

Last edited:
I don't particularly have much of a dialect. I'm sure I do have one, but it's not to a large enough degree that I'm even aware of it.

Also, I can confirm that pierogies are delicious and you should try them.

I have a mostly central/southern Ohio dialect (I call all soda "pop" and I say yall a lot), except apparently people here say "lightning bugs" when they're obvioudly called "fireflies". :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, I can confirm that pierogies are delicious and you should try them.

If you haven't tried pierogies you're missing out on life.

I live in New England, and what we're probably best known for is dropping the letter R from words (I think that's becoming less prevalent with younger speakers). And clam chowder (pronounced 'chowdah') is always milk/cream based. Serve it as a broth or with a tomato base and it will lead to violence.

As far as words, we know that the correct term for a carbonated drink is 'soda'. ;) We don't have liquor stores here. Instead, they are called package stores, or more commonly, a 'packie'. A sandwich on a long roll is a 'grinder', although 'sub' is heard more often now. And a traffic circle is called a 'rotary'.

I don't think I have an accent or dialect yet people say that there is a "California accent" like wut.

I mean I'm from Texas, but I don't think I have much of an accent unless I'm talking fast. The only thing I can think of that I do is drop the g in verbs ending with -ing :B Lol, but I say soda 0u0

I would say that I have a weird dialect! I am from London, England and have been with my boyfriend now nearly 3 years. My boyfriend is from Manchester which is in the north of England and our dialects are very different. Recently my family and his family have noticed that I have begun to pick up the northern dialect but it sound weird because I have such a posh London accent XD I have picked up words like barm instead of roll/ sandwich or even tea instead of dinner!! At the same time I have picked up their accent too which I don’t personally like on me

There's a book called Speaking American that's all about this, it's really interesting and worth taking a peek at. I'm not really sure what words we use here that people up north might not know. I use the word soda, I've never really heard pop or soft drink. I do use y'all and all y'all which isn't really common in Arizona, we're more southwestern than country. Apparently some people say bubbler for drinking fountain and I think that's funny, I've never heard it used here. People seem to think I have an accent though, I get asked a lot where I'm from. Oh and people make fun of me for how I pronounce crayon, I say "cran" like a cranberry, instead of cra-yon/cray-on.

I'm from Southern California and I just assumed I had a neutral American accent but some of my city friends have noted that I may have a valley accent so I guess that's what I have, even though I don't hear it :D. Also, being bilingual might make me have a slight accent too.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

this is a quiz you can take that'll show you the top 3 american cities your dialect is the most similar to! it just asks how you pronounce certain things and what word you use to call things (like highway vs freeway vs expressway etc). i got three cities in florida, one of which the one i live in!

Yup I got Phoenix/Gilbert Arizona. What I really want to know is who the heck says peenie Wallie?!

Also from California, I guess I do have a slight California accent mixed with a bit of... something else. I wouldn't say I have a specific dialect though, I use standard casual English from what I can tell.
And fun fact, no I don't say "dude" a lot, and nobody here in general says it often. That's really the only bit of California dialect people know about, but I think everyone here has grown out of saying it. That's more of an 80's-90's thing.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

this is a quiz you can take that'll show you the top 3 american cities your dialect is the most similar to! it just asks how you pronounce certain things and what word you use to call things (like highway vs freeway vs expressway etc). i got three cities in florida, one of which the one i live in!

I got all California cities for this, so yeah it's pretty accurate :p

Back