• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Continue or restart anew?

krosen

Bells
Hello fellow AC players,

It's been almost a month since I resumed my old AC:NL game after an 1 year break.
I like the map layout, the main street is somewhat developed (TIY, Shampoodles, Kicks, Museum's second floor...), but... Somehow I feel like it's not exactly my game anymore. I kept playing, built some important PWP (the police station and the cafe), completed 1 or 2 furniture sets, renovated and decorated my home until I got 100k HHA points, but something is still feeling off.

Maybe because of the year-long hiatus, I lost the feeling of attachment and that "this is my town that I started from scrach" pride. That being said, I'm seriously thinking of re-creating my town.

If I continue playing, will that feeling come back to me? Or do I start over?

I do not have any dreamies living there or something, but I'm still afraid of loosing all my bells, furniture and main street development.

If you want to visit my dream town before making any comments, I'm Kimiko from San Mimi. I've updated the dream today (there are random flowers scattered everywhere, I kind of slacked off taking care of them this week).

I need an honest opinion on this...

No one can know if you'll feel an attachment again or not. If it bothers you: restart. Since you've been gone a year, I doubt you'll regret it. But, of course, the decision is really up to you. It doesn't take long to earn Bells back.

I have never taken that long of a break but the small breaks I did take I just kept my town BUT tore everything down and just started over again with the existing town. I didn't want to lose the bells and furniture or other items I already had. I always feel you can ALWAYS fix a current town with some motivation and patience. BUT in the end it is up to you and it is your choice. Do what YOU feel is going to make you happy. It is a hard choice and you will be starting all over again but maybe you will get that connection back. Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
I have never taken that long of a break but the small breaks I did take I just kept my town BUT tore everything down and just started over again with the existing town. I didn't want to lose the bells and furniture or other items I already had. I always feel you can ALWAYS fix a current town with some motivation and patience. BUT in the end it is up to you and it is your choice. Do what YOU feel is going to make you happy. It is a hard choice and you will be starting all over again but maybe you will get that connection back. Good luck with everything!

I did a huge makeover on the first week after I resumed my game: took my axe and cut down a lot of trees, changed where my orchard was, rearranged my flower gardens and all.
Since it didn't help, I'll follow your advice (do what makes me happy) and Belle's (if it bothers me: restart). After all, I'm playing AC because I enjoy it. The moment it starts bothering me and makes me see like a chore, there's no point in keeping doing the same old thing.

I guess my OCD makes me masochistic sometimes. I need to stop obsessing over a game and playing it out of compulsion and just relax and enjoy it leisurely.

That being said... It's time to pack my camping bag and go take over a new town! Mwahaha!!!
... I mean, restart the game ;)

always start over if you lose the momentum of before, it will return and allow you to recreate something magical and reinvigorate your passion for your town and villagers

You can always have someone trustworthy here on the site hold your items/bells for you while you restart your town! Then they visit and give them back to you once your new town is up and running. I see people do it all the time.

Whenever I take a long break, I feel the same way. I ALWAYS restart for that reason. I lose the attachment feeling, and then start finding flaws in everything.
So I made a rule: If I'm not enjoying something that I paid 200 dollars for, then it's time to start again. Holding on to pixels just because it took some time to get there, whilst not enjoying any of it is pointless. I grab a few essentials and move on to a new town.
Restarting can be quite time consuming, specially when it comes to getting your favorite villagers back. So take your time, and do it when you've got some time off so you can truly enjoy the experience of restarting, instead of stressing out over it.

I was always scared of restarting because I didn't want to lose progress so I got a new cartridge.. And I restarted that one like crazy until I found the right map (some of them I got a lot of the upgrades too, only to restart again) I am back to enjoying the game so it's all good. It helped that this community was here to get me all my noob stuff back

go for it if you really wanna. it's good you dont have any dreamies coz its easier to restart. for items, you can just ask a member here to hold it for you and your you can still develop your main street again. so i dont see why not.

Honestly, if you want to restart than do it. You can find people who may be willing to hold onto items for you until you are ready to pick them up. If you aren't feeling the town anymore, than try again. I've honestly restarted so much it should just be a crime, lol! My reasons for restarts have been lack of inspiration to play, map suddenly looks bad to me, Stitches moving away. lol.

I say restart if you are feeling a disconnect from your original town. Restarting or beginning a second town is always really exciting. Do you have to start over from scratch? Yes. But with the forums you can always buy what you need if you don't want to take the long way around, you know?

if you really can't find any enjoyment in your current town, then give restarting a go !
i'm sure there are many lovely people here who would be willing to hold on to your stuff for free + let you shop at their towns [including myself hahaa] <3
i hope it all goes well and you will be able to enjoy the game after the break you've had from it ;v;

Back