• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

ACNH × Sanrio Crossover Discussion + Question Thread 💗

Were you successful in buying a pack of Sanrio amiibo cards from Target today (03/26)? 🇺🇸

• Total voters
it is really a shame that we can't catalog the sanrio's items and can't have the sanrio villagers via another player... 😔
That makes me lose hope that they will not appear on mystery islands either when you're doing villager hunting with Nook Mile Tickets. This going to suck for those who don't have the Sanrio cards.

The whole point is that you buy the cards! They categorically won't appear on mystery islands. The items can still be gifted by a friend and of course if you want the villagers search out the cards. I mean they are cheaper than the real thing on Etsy and do the same job (and looks aesthetically nicer haha!)

I'd prefer a DLC model that can be purchased directly from Nintendo, even if it's purchasable via the EShop. I don't agree with having to go out of your way and battle scalpers/resellers for DLC.
Though I don't disagree, there's no real difference between the cards and the Amiibo figurines. And if Nintendo tried to push the Sanrio characters virtually, they'd be as rare as Raymond (x6), and the uproar would be exponentially worse.

I’ve found some info on Twitter and thought I should relay it here...
  1. The Sanrio villagers are NOT adoptable and therefore you can only get them by scanning the amiibos :(
  2. The Sanrio items are not catalog-able BUT...
  3. Someone who has the items can send them to friends as gifts in the mail (must have Nintendo Online and be registered as friends)
I would assume that you can trade the items physically by picking them up. You just can’t catalog them and then order them that way because you can only order them in the promotion tab once you scan the amiibo.
Hope this helps! If any of my info is false pls let me know :)
So they did pull the New Leaf when trying to obtain the villagers from someone else. I already have the cards and would've been happy to help folks get these ('rare') villagers. Why Nintendo! (again!)

The whole point is that you buy the cards! They categorically won't appear on mystery islands. The items can still be gifted by a friend and of course if you want the villagers search out the cards. I mean they are cheaper than the real thing on Etsy and do the same job (and looks aesthetically nicer haha!)
Well remember when Raymond, Judy, Audie, Sherb, and Dom (just the name some) were in New Horizions but they don't have their amiibo cards? You can still find them in the game through mystery islands, campsite, and trading with other people. However with the Sanrio villagers like someone else said you can't do that.

I saw so many people planning what villager they want to move out in order to have the Sanrio villager they love on their island. Turns out you only need to scan the Sanrio card just to get the items in your catalog, you don't have to move them in to get the items.

The point is even if the villagers I mentioned (Raymond, Judy, Audie, Sherb, and Dom) they can still be obtained in the game because they don't have amiibo cards but for some weird reason the Sanrio villagers cannot be found in the actual game. Could you imagine if every other villager could not be adopted when using their amiibo cards to move them out? If that makes any sense.

Well remember when Raymond, Judy, Audie, Sherb, and Dom (just the name some) were in New Horizions but they don't have their amiibo cards? You can still find them in the game through mystery islands, campsite, and trading with other people. However with the Sanrio villagers like someone else said you can't do that.

I saw so many people planning what villager they want to move out in order to have the Sanrio villager they love on their island. Turns out you only need to scan the Sanrio card just to get the items in your catalog, you don't have to move them in to get the items.

The point is even if the villagers I mentioned (Raymond, Judy, Audie, Sherb, and Dom) they can still be obtained in the game because they don't have amiibo cards but for some weird reason the Sanrio villagers cannot be found in the actual game. Could you imagine if every other villager could not be adopted when using their amiibo cards to move them out? If that makes any sense.
Thing is, those characters you mentioned are nintendos own characters. They don't have amiibo but are in the game for anyone to get. Which makes them the opposite of the sanrio ones.

The sanrio characters aren't nintendo owned characters. They're a colab with another company Who also would hold the rights over them. They would also be getting a cut of the profits from the cards as well as benefiting from the publicity it brings their company.

So to me the 2 are apples and oranges

Thing is, those characters you mentioned are nintendos own characters. They don't have amiibo but are in the game for anyone to get. Which makes them the opposite of the sanrio ones.

The sanrio characters aren't nintendo owned characters. They're a colab with another company Who also would hold the rights over them. They would also be getting a cut of the profits from the cards as well as benefiting from the publicity it brings their company.

So to me the 2 are apples and oranges
I see what you're saying but still, we should be able to adopt these Sanrio villagers. My friend broke down crying when I told her what the mods on Nookazon said when the Sanrio villagers could not be adopted. She has a hard time getting the Sanrio cards since she doesn't live in the US. Even still I am disappointed that you actually need to have the cards just to get the items.

Here I was thinking that there would be another way to get the items besides trading with others but its really locked behind a paywall. I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but this really is not that impressive. Sure people are happy with this update since they have the cards which is great more power to them, but for many other people who don't have access to these cards it really ruins the fun of the update considering you actually need them.

I see what you're saying but still, we should be able to adopt these Sanrio villagers. My friend broke down crying when I told her what the mods on Nookazon said when the Sanrio villagers could not be adopted. She has a hard time getting the Sanrio cards since she doesn't live in the US. Even still I am disappointed that you actually need to have the cards just to get the items.

Here I was thinking that there would be another way to get the items besides trading with others but its really locked behind a paywall. I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but this really is not that impressive. Sure people are happy with this update since they have the cards which is great more power to them, but for many other people who don't have access to these cards it really ruins the fun of the update considering you actually need them.
I've mixed feelings on it.
The update contains a lot of stuff outside of sanrio so all players have something they can get out of this with or without the cards which is good.

I would rather cards weren't needed at all and if the items were just in the promotional tab, with the villagers just added to the normal pool of them. However I doubt sanrio would have concented to the colab without the cards being essential.

A lot of people are very happy to have the sanrio characters back, me included, so I would rather it be a card only thing than no one have anything.

So yeah, mixed bag to me

I probably am also biased because I can rip off any amiibo so shortages or fakes doesn't affect me at all

Where is she located, there are other stores to get them. I'm in Canada and pre-ordered them on Best Buy.

I really don’t like this model honestly but as I’m sure you’re aware that there are many options out there for those who couldn’t manage to get the official cards. If your friend is to the point of breaking down crying, it might be wise to seek out those available methods instead. Did you play NL? There were far more items locked behind the welcome amiibo cards paywall there that were also non-orderable from the cataloged so be prepared if they ever bring RVs back that many items will have this same treatment.

Keep in mind that while Nintendo definitely plays a role, Sanrio also probably wanted the cards to be rare. This is a collaboration after all, so it's possible that Sanrio wanted there to be certain criteria that was met before giving up their property to Nintendo to be used. In order to maximize sales, maybe Sanrio played a role in the characters being non-adoptable? I'm no expert though, so I have zero clue.

I know Nintendo did it with the other characters, but that's not as bad, since most amiibo figurines nowadays are usually $30 - $40 scalped, compared to the original price of $21.99.
Post automatically merged:

This was an even bigger thing in New Leaf though. It's not this update that is the first to do it. As someone else mentioned, NL made it FAR worse, with hundreds of items being locked behind amiibo, and keep in mind back when Welcome amiibo came to NL, the Welcome amiibo series was incredibly hard to find.

And with the other amiibo characters being in code of the game, just know that this isn't the last time they'll do this. It's unfortunate, but I don't think any amount of disappointment will change a model they've been using for years.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that while Nintendo definitely plays a role, Sanrio also probably wanted the cards to be rare. This is a collaboration after all, so it's possible that Sanrio wanted there to be certain criteria that was met before giving up their property to Nintendo to be used. In order to maximize sales, maybe Sanrio played a role in the characters being non-adoptable? I'm no expert though, so I have zero clue.

I know Nintendo did it with the other characters, but that's not as bad, since most amiibo figurines nowadays are usually $30 - $40 scalped, compared to the original price of $21.99.

This was an even bigger thing in New Leaf though. It's not this update that is the first to do it. As someone else mentioned, NL made it FAR worse, with hundreds of items being locked behind amiibo, and keep in mind back when Welcome amiibo came to NL, the Welcome amiibo series was incredibly hard to find.

And with the other amiibo characters being in code of the game, just know that this isn't the last time they'll do this. It's unfortunate, but I don't think any amount of disappointment will change a model they've been using for years.
I get what everyone else is saying but this is not going sit well with the rest with other people in general. Especially since they don't like Microtransactions and considering that the amiibo cards for these Sanrio update are locked behind it really has that sorta EA vibe I'm getting and its not really good. Thats really shocking to hear New Leaf did something like this before and no one was upset about it that time which is really a surprise to me.

With all due respect it is true you can still get the Sanrio items from trading but whats really annoying is because you cannot catalog them you actually need to have someone give the items to you. I'm pretty sure if you are friends with someone you can ask them to order the items to you but the problem is that you can only do it 2 times a day and it will require a lot of time traveling just to get all the Sanrio items when you don't have the cards.

She's living in the UK
UK preorders haven't even gone up yet, so there's no reason for your friend to panic yet! I imagine it's going to be easier to get them in the UK than elsewhere actually - that was the case back in 2016, anyway. I bought multiple packs in the UK in 2016 and mailed them off to other TBT staff in other continents.

I get what everyone else is saying but this is not going sit well with the rest with other people in general. Especially since they don't like Microtransactions and considering that the amiibo cards for these Sanrio update are locked behind it really has that sorta EA vibe I'm getting and its not really good. Thats really shocking to hear New Leaf did something like this before and no one was upset about it that time which is really a surprise to me.

With all due respect it is true you can still get the Sanrio items from trading but whats really annoying is because you cannot catalog them you actually need to have someone give the items to you. I'm pretty sure if you are friends with someone you can ask them to order the items to you but the problem is that you can only do it 2 times a day and it will require a lot of time traveling just to get all the Sanrio items when you don't have the cards.
In my opinion, Nintendo is not even close to EA. At all. EA has done some pretty sketchy things things. I think DrewAC mentioned it, but what Nintendo did with free updates vs. what EA did with the Sims and its $61 CAD price tag for expansions packs is like night and day. The amiibo thing isn't great, I get that, but at the same time, this isn't a game where you become better if you pay for it; you unlock a villager with the same personalities as the rest, and you get furniture that while it can't be cataloged, it can be traded. All you're missing out on are the aesthetics, it's basically a skin when you think about it hard enough.

In my opinion, Nintendo is not even close to EA. At all. EA has done some pretty sketchy things things. I think DrewAC mentioned it, but what Nintendo did with free updates vs. what EA did with the Sims and its $61 CAD price tag for expansions packs is like night and day. The amiibo thing isn't great, I get that, but at the same time, this isn't a game where you become better if you pay for it; you unlock a villager with the same personalities as the rest, and you get furniture that while it can't be cataloged, it can be traded. All you're missing out on are the aesthetics, it's basically a skin when you think about it hard enough.
Oh well... I guess this is how it is then. I'm sure there is going to be so many divided opinions on this but I said what I needed to say. I wasn't interested in the Sanrio to begin with and I was hoping to get the items in the game legit but its clear to me the update is not for me. Really good for the people who still have the cards from New Leaf that they are still able to use it in New Horizons again more power to them. I guess I will have to take another break from this game until something else interest me again. I know people are going to tell me the same things again but I am already playing different games at the moment so I will put this game down when I feel like there is something added that will keep me interest, but for now the Sanrio update just doesn't do for me in my opinion.

Hope everyone enjoys the update for what it is and they have a good time with it.

I even spent an inordinate amount of money on an Amiibo reader since my 2DS didn't have one already built in. At least every version of the Switch, and even the Pro Controller, has it built in.

I even spent an inordinate amount of money on an Amiibo reader since my 2DS didn't have one already built in. At least every version of the Switch, and even the Pro Controller, has it built in.
That is true! I was lucky to have one at launch since I wanted to use it for Smash Bros. on 3DS, but alas, I don't have it anymore.

Back