• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

🦌 Deer Villagers Appreciation Thread 🦌

Who's your favorite deer villager?

• Total voters

TN4U

Lone Wolf of the Starfields
Bells
Island
Wahu
Yellow Star Fragment
Green Crescent Moon
Space Whale Plush
Green Crescent Moon
Galaxolotl Star Fragment
🦌NEW HORIZONS🦌
DEER APPRECIATION THREAD

Click to go to the Nookipedia article...
"All deer, my dear."

This thread is dedicated to photos and discussion of all the lovely deer villagers that have appeared in New Horizons. Despite not being one of the original species introduced with the series, they quickly became my personal favorite ever since a majority of them were introduced in New Leaf over ten years ago. With the amount of times I've showcased some of them, it simply goes to show that many of them hold a special place in my heart.

Enough chat, here's all twelve of them! There are currently 6 does and 6 bucks total in the series.
Does​
Personality​
Birthday​
Catchphrase​
Based On​
Picture Quote​
Chelsea%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Chelsea
Normal
😊
Jan. 18th
♑ Capricorn
"pound cake"​
My Melody
(Sanrio)
"Always look a gift horse in the mouth."​
Sisterly
😜
May 4th
♉ Taurus
"whatevs"​
Irish Pun
(name only)
"Legs of an antelope, heart of an eagle."​
Diana%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Diana
Snooty
😒
Jan. 4th
♑ Capricorn
"no doy"​
Diana, Goddess of the Hunt​
"Sometimes you have to lose to win."​
Fauna%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Fauna
Normal
😊
Mar. 26th
♈ Aries
"dearie"​
Fawn​
"The first step is always the hardest."​
Sisterly
😜
Sep. 19th
♍ Virgo
"girlfriend"
(NL)
"precious"
(NH/PC)
Color of fur
(name only)
"It takes one to know one."​
Shino%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Shino
Peppy
🤩
Oct. 31st
♏ Scorpio
"okaaay"​
Noh / Hannya Mask​
"Better the demon you know than the one you do not."​

Bucks​
Personality​
Birthday​
Catchphrase​
Based On​
Picture Quote​
Bam%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Bam
Jock
😅
Nov. 7th
♏ Scorpio
"boosh"
(NL NTSC)
"prang"
(NL PAL)
"kablang"
(NH/PC)
Bambi
(name only)
"Get while the getting's good."​
Beau%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Beau
Lazy
🥱
Apr. 5th
♈ Aries
"saltlick"​
Impala Antelope​
"You snooze, you lose."​
Bruce%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Bruce
Cranky
😠
May 26th
♊ Gemini
"gruff"​
Mountain Goat​
"Nobody's perfect."​
Erik%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Erik
Lazy
🥱
Jul. 27th
♌ Leo
"chow down"​
Elk / Moose​
"If you're afraid of wolves, don't go to the woods."​
Lopez%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Lopez
Smug
😎
Aug. 20th
♌ Leo
"buckaroo"
(NL NTSC)
"badoom"
(NL PAL/NH/PC)
Thomson's Gazelle Antelope​
"Always look both ways before crossing the street."​
Zell%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Zell
Smug
😎
Jun. 7th
♊ Gemini
"pronk"​
Blackbuck Antelope​
"Clothes totally make the mammal."​

Fun Facts
  • The deer species is one of the few in the series where all eight personalities are represented. Before Shino's debut appearance in New Horizons 2.0, there was previously not a deer with the Peppy personality.​
  • With the exception of Shino, all male deer have antlers, while females don't. This resembles the real-life trait of only male deer (bucks) having the ability to grow antlers.​
  • Despite all being referred to both in-game and elsewhere as "deer", a few villagers actually resemble antelope, which share more DNA with cows than deer. These villagers are Beau, Bruce, Lopez and Zell.​
    • Lopez and Beau share the same antler shape, though colored differently.​
    • Bruce's antlers heavily resemble the horns found on goat villagers.​
  • Erik shares some resemblances with the special Toy Day character Jingle, a reindeer. Part of Erik's official description in Pocket Camp mentions how he's often mistaken for Jingle around Toy Day. The main difference between the two, other than their models, is that Erik resembles more of an elk than a reindeer.​
  • Bruce's catchphrase, "gruff" is shared with the name of a cranky goat villager.​
  • Beau's catchphrase, "saltlick", alludes to the real-life trait of mammals frequently licking rock and salt deposits to obtain minerals.​
    • Beau is not to be mistaken for Bea, a normal dog villager.​
  • Chelsea is based off the Sanrio character My Melody, who is a rabbit, thus is why Chelsea wears a bunny ear headpiece by default. Their birthdays are shared as well. She was introduced in the 1.9.0 update alongside the other five Sanrio villagers from New Leaf.​
  • If one looks closely, it can be noticed that Shino has fangs, and is the only deer villager to have them.​
    • Like mentioned above, Shino is the only female deer to have antlers (although they resemble more like horns).​
    • Shino's birthday falls on Halloween. It is also shared with the special characters Jack and Label.​
  • Three deer villagers had their catchphrases changed from New Leaf to New Horizons: Fuchsia, Bam and Lopez.​
    • As part of Nintendo's promotion of gender neutrality in New Horizons, Fuchsia's catchphrase was changed from "girlfriend" in New Leaf to "precious". Pocket Camp originally carried her "girlfriend" catchphrase until it was changed to "precious" after New Horizons' release.​
    • Bam is one of the only villagers in the series to carry three completely different catchphrases.​
    • While Lopez has had the same catchphrase in all PAL appearances, his phrase in the NTSC version of New Leaf is "buckaroo", which partially resembles the one Filbert - a lazy squirrel villager - has used in all the games.​
  • Three villagers have had the exact same default outfit from New Leaf to New Horizons - Chelsea, Bam and Bruce.​
I want to hear your experiences with these bucks and does...

What do you like most about them?
What have they done to make you happy?
How do they fit with the theme of your island?
Who's your favorite? Vote above!

Last edited:
Diana fur sure! She's just so freakin' cute! I want to get a tattoo of her on my left forearm of her looking all pretty and bashful, to match the princess peach on my right forearm.
I once had someone from thos forum draw me my profile picture of her swooning over Beardo lol.
Who's your favorite?~
I love the work you put into this thread, it would be cool to see their hobbies as well!

Attachments

• 20240205_004348.jpg
    20240205_004348.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
The deer villagers are my absolute favourite! Deers have been my favourite animal for as long as I can remember, and I was so, so ecstatic when I found out that deer villagers were being introduced in New Leaf! They’re actually one of the main reasons why I decided to get New Leaf, when I was initially thinking about getting City Folk.

I remember thinking they were all beyond precious when I saw them for the first time, but Beau, Fauna and Zell stood out to me. I was really into writing AC stories at the time, and I would often write stories about them hanging out together, how they met, etc. I envisioned them being the best of friends, before New Leaf was even out in NA! Out of the three of them though, Beau was my absolute favourite. I wanted to have all of the deers in my town at least once, but I especially wanted Beau.

Beau was my #1 favourite villager for the longest time. He would eventually end up moving into my second New Leaf town randomly, and I don’t even have the words to describe just how happy I was when that happened. He would also end up moving away without warning when I didn’t play for two weeks. That was probably the most upsetting moment of my entire gaming history, even to this day LOL, but we move forward!! 😅

Beau ended up being the first deer villager I had in New Horizons, and he’s still on my island to this day! No more random move outs for him. 😂 I was actually planning on island hopping until I found Sprinkle the night that I got him, and he ended up cutting my villager hunt short that night. No regrets at all, though! I think it’s so special that I found him when I did, and that he was my first deer villager in this game. 🧡

Nowadays, I’d say my #1 favourite villager is Shino, though Beau is still the most special to me! He’s my buddy for life. I’ve loved Shino ever since I saw her in the 2.0 update direct. I think her design is so stunning, and I love that she’s a Halloween baby! I found her while island hopping as well, and right now her and Beau are the only deers on my island! Though, Fauna, Chelsea, Bam, Bruce, Zell, Fuchsia and Deirdre have all lived on my island as well! I actually had Beau, Fauna and Zell at the same time for a while, which was very special to me!

I’ll include some of my favourite photos that I’ve taken of my deer friends in New Horizons in the spoiler below! I’ve admittedly taken photos of some more than others, haha
The night that I found Beau!
IMG_5666.jpeg

The first deer Birthday that I celebrated in New Horizons!
IMG_5667.jpeg

IMG_5668.jpeg

My first Birthday party in New Horizons! Ft. Margie and Whitney 💜
IMG_5669.jpeg

IMG_5670.jpeg
IMG_5672.jpeg
IMG_5673.jpeg
IMG_5674.jpeg
IMG_5675.jpeg

I love how unbothered they were by Marty thinking 😂
IMG_5676.jpeg

IMG_5677.jpeg
IMG_5678.jpeg

The time I dressed up as Beau for Halloween, LOL 😂 Obviously he rocked the “Beau” look better than I did 😂
IMG_5679.jpeg

IMG_5680.jpeg
IMG_5681.jpeg
IMG_5682.jpeg
IMG_5683.jpeg

I voted for Fauna, simply because I love natural looking villagers, and she's such a natural looking little doe! Also, the little white spots on the back of her head are just absolutely adorable! I love her so much!

My second favourite deer is Erik, he looks more like a moose, and I also LOVE lazy villagers. He's so cute and his house decor being a cabin theme in New Leaf made me immediately add him to my dreamie list lol!

I also love Diana, I've never had her as a villager, but I love the story behind her name, and her dress in New Horizons! She's so pretty!

The deer species aren't even one of my favorites, but I do like Chelsea, Diana, and Bruce.

Chelsea is my favorite deer villager, because My Melody is one of my favorite Sanrio characters, and I love the My Melody outfit she wears, especially the headband, it's so cute! It's a shame the player, or anyone else, can't wear it, though...

Thank you for making a deer appreciation board!! I could never pick between Lopez and Bruce 😅

But I did do a write up on my connection to them!

2023041313085800-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Me and Lopez in the first few days of my game

Oh where to begin when there's a post about a species so *deer* to me 🤭(sorry, had too) My two deer villagers mean the absolute world to me. So I'm gonna make it special.

I first found out about Bruce from my friend's island, where I first saw him. I ordered ten different deer cards for a previous cycling business I had.

Bruce was included and I wanted to add him. But Lopez's design caught my attention after seeing him for the first time. Something about him just drew me to him, and I tried him out.

Well. He stuck. Him and Bruce became premies. I never partnered them up until on my old island, where I made a prom scene and paired those two up. It stuck with me after that. But thats not the only reason these two make me so happy.
--
Brucie
2023011814063200-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

finding Bruce on a mystery Islsnd
--
My first time meeting Bruce was when I was watching my friend play it. Along with all my other residents from my old island, he followed. I love his dark blue fur, and little tail, his overall colors really fit him. The way his eyes are always so closed make him either look very unamused or very chill. He gives off that vibe too.

He was given multiple head cannons, and I love seeing other people's head cannons for him. But I enjoy seeing all villager head cannons people have.

Mine is he was a student with some pretty bad habbits, who engaged in a school competition with unknowingly Lopez. He surpassed all expectations and ended up winning. Afterwards he dropped out of school, and was followed by Lopez, who also dropped out.

They traveled around for awhile, eventually got together, move to Fugiree where Bruce reunited with an old classmate. In my island head cannons. He's not very talkative, keeps to himself, and sometimes draws. He's most happy around Lopez, and gets along with pretty much everyone.

Bruce is like a brother to me, and I cannonized his age as twenty-five. I enjoy watching him around the island
2024061413124500-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Bruce examining snails
2024010213100700-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Me, Carmen (previous resident) and sleepy Bruce

--
We've come and gone. He's very friendly with everyone, and I've got some funny memories of him and his various island friends.
2023080413014100-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Brucie and Static showing their inner Cartman
2024052010450700-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Bruce chilling with his bunny broskies
2024011613501800-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Me making a game character's impression with Bruce's gift
2024011815390500-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Brucie and me in his old Board Game Vacation home.
--

So yes, many very fond memories of my big boy and many more to come.
--
Lopez
2024070112200000-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Viva la Kobe and Lopez
--

Lopez is one of my favorites, but I could still never choose between him and Bruce for favorite deer. Lopez is my stylish boy, and I love his snazzy design ingeneral. I'm very happy I decided to test out his card. He's such a unique boy.

My favorite part of him is defently his eyes, that pink eyeshadow is just perfect. It's honestly what sold me. I personally adore villagers with make up, and Lopez wears it like the star he is. But he can honestly rock any outfit, he's just that kinda boy.

I've seen many different head cannons for him, all are really cool. My personal head cannons is that he enrolled school and planned his whole life around a class he had. He met Bruce once a contest was held, but never officially knew who he was until after. To which he started to envy Bruce's talent

Once Bruce dropped out Lopez shortly followed after Bruce told him. He eventually asked Bruce out, and their relation status remains a secret to the others. Islsnd cannonizing is that he's twenty five years old, and a very proud deer too. Though despite all the pink and flare. Lopez does have thick skin and won't be pushed around.

Lopez reminds me of myself to be honest, he's a very close buddy. We both do adore make up after all.
2024061109425400-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Lopez enjoying his newly decorated house (and online shopping)
2021111513362900-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Me and Lopez at the aquarium
--

Lopez gets along with alot of the islanders. He's come and gone like Bruce, but I think he's got some solid memories.
2024010413583600-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Lopez and Sherb drinking in sync.
2024122417144900-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Sasha and Lopez 2023 Christmas Day
2024103118405300-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Lopez, Marshal and Toby's scare off in 2023 Halloween

2024010413542100-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Lopez in his vacation home with his favorite item

He engages in alot more festivals, and events then Brucie does. So defently some solid memories. Looking forward to more in the coming year.
--
I think what I'm most known on here for is my shipping of villagers. Because as I adore/love these deer as much as they love each other in my own head cannons.
2024011920235000-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Bruce and Lopez in their Vacation home (That heart is from the statue)
2024070319335600-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Lopez giving advice

--
You see these two have been together for a very long time, way back in my early days these guys were pretty close, they talked and visited each other. Often hung out with each other.
2021062714545200-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Their very first visit/hang out
--
The two that I have today are not the same that I had back in the beginning I circled through them alot, but they always left together. If I didn't have Lopez didn't have Bruce. So another part of my cannonizing is that the two travel alot, due to that.

They came back to visit now and then, but left, and only much later decided to become the premies they are today. After I moved Lopez in, someone else wanted to leave, and I actually found Bruce on a third ticket island hopping.

They still talk alot, sit together, visit and sometimes sing together if near mics.

I could go on about them but I will stop there, and instead share some cute pictures of them
2021071914534700-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Chilling with your partner, and friends, on a summer day.
2024070319375100-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Lopez getting distracted from teaching.

--
All in all, they're by far one of my favorite couples of the island. Like the others, they have a supporting, playful relationship where they can be themselves.

It's in a way an opposites attract relationship. Thwyve helped each other over come obsticles and made changes for the better. A very healthy relationship which has an unknown status. In terms of how far in they are.
--
So in conclusion I love the deer, I love my own deer and I love the other deer too. I'm gonna stalk this board to hear about everyone's take on this fabulous species.
][/SPOILER

🦌💖🦌

Last edited:
Aww, it's definitely a hard choice. I think Erik, Fauna, and Fuchsia are all really cute.

For Fauna, it's because she has the sweet normal personality, and has a cute design. For Fuchsia, I like her colours, and I do like the sisterly personality too. For Erik, it's 100% because he's actually a moose, and the antlers are very cute. 😊

Fauna and Diana are my favorites.
I also really love Zell, Beau, Bam and Bruce...
I thought about making an all deer island and naming it "Deer Park" but I haven't done it yet. Deer are my fav species but I also love the bears, bear cubs, squirrels and rabbits!
I love this thread! And Xara your pictures are amazing!!
2023111315440100_c.jpg

I loved when Diana started using Fauna's catchphrase "dearie"
2023111922265300_c.jpg

2023112219555700_c.jpg

I haven't had them all but I voted for Bruce.

He was a real one. He stayed on my island for a year and a half before deciding to move away. Hard to let him go, but I did. Tom Nook did the ol' MIB mind wipe thing on him and sent him on his way.

I also had Fauna as a villager, she was nice. The current deer on my island is Diana, she's nice, no doy.

EfAB83QU4AATK2j.jpeg

I had several deer villagers in new Leaf but for New Horizons,Deirdre is the only one that I have on my island.She has a good autumn/forest theme and she's one of the funnier villagers I have.

I used to know someone that had a full island of deer. Made me appreciate them more.
As for favorite, I'm going with Erik because he lives in one of my New Leaf towns. But I also like many of the others like Shino, Fauna, Diana, and Bam.
Shino I assigned as the doctor in Happy Home Paradise.

Zell was one of my permanent villagers in my second New Leaf town, so I'll always have a fondness for him. He's my favorite. I also like the designs of Erik, Fauna, Lopez, and Bruce. I WANT to love Deirdre, but WHY WHY WHY do the designers insist on putting lipstick on every Sisterly villager to Prove Her Girlhood or whatever? It looks so unnatural and makes my mouth feel weird in sympathy.

I decided to spotlight some of the deer villagers I don't show enough love to!
Erik on Toy Day:

Erik Toy Day 3.jpg

Shino's Zen Spot:

Shino Temple 2.jpg

Fauna picking flowers:
She's so cute omg

Fauna Flower Field 2.jpg

Diana the fortune teller:

Diana Fortune Teller 1.jpg

I was going to do more tonight, but I quickly burned out of Photopia ideas and my eyes were bothering me. More to come later!​

Last edited:
I voted for Erik because I could only vote for one. However, Shino is a very close second. The reason I voted for Erik was because we have a longer history together and I haven't invited Shino to my island yet, unlike Erik, who has already been on one of my islands. Erik was even in my NL town so that's another reason. Deer villagers are one of my favourite animal types so I am glad there are many to choose from.

Here's a personal tier list I made because I was bored:

Deer.png

Hate to sound like a critic (this is all my opinion), but if Deirdre's makeup was less prominent and made a normal villager, then I'd probably like her more. As for Zell, Shino and Chelsea, it's mainly a few minor appearance bits that dip their favorite points down. I'd prefer larger eyes for Zell, slightly smaller horns for Shino, and different colors for Chelsea; I get why for the latter as she's supposed to resemble My Melody.

Regardless, it was hard not to put some of the favorites into the top spot. Lopez is close to being my #1 villager overall, and Bruce is simply so cool; he'll definitely become a resident of mine in the next mainline game. The others have not been on any of my towns for extended periods, though I really wish they were.​

Love love love the deer villagers 💕 I had 5 of them on my island at one point. Definitely one of the cutest newer villager animals imo

Back