• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

A statistical Top 25 of the most popular villagers in 2020

Boccages

Bells
Switch
0347-4629-2695
Silver Mailbox
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Mailbox
One reason I like Nookipedia better over all other Animal Crossing wiki sites, is their interaction with users over Discord, Twitter, and Instagram.

And they are currently releasing a trustable, verifiable Top 25 villagers list based on the number of hits each villager wiki page has gotten in 2020. And we are talking about several tens of thousands of hits per page, if not hundred of thousands. It's not some fan randomly making up a list on ''his observations'' here and there. I think this would actually the best, most trustable source to assess villager popularity ever since how disseminated the AC community is in 2021 (Reddit, wiki sites, Discord, forums, Twitter, etc.)

I'm actually following their Twitter account and they've been releasing updates since January 1st, at the rate of one a day (usually around noon GMT-5).

Here is the current Top 25 (I will update it every day).

EqqUZtVXcAE1ED_.jpeg

#25 - Rosie
#24 - Hazel
#23 - Ketchup
#22 - Lucky
#21 - Pietro
#20 - Beau
#19 - Bob
#18 - Julian
#17 - Dom
#16 - Skye
#15 - Molly
#14 - Phoebe
#13 - Coco
#12 - Merengue
#11 - Diana
#10 - Ankha
#09 - Fauna
#08 - Sherb
#07 - Cherry
#06 - Judy
#05 - Zucker
#04 - Audie
Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-24 à 09.08.01.png

580C55C5-6C98-44DF-B65E-56CCF0442FE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, that's very interesting! I don't think this is necessarily a good indicator of popularity, since people are much more likely to discuss and look up ugly/disliked villagers than they would for the average ones, and you're only getting data from the type of player that uses wikis. But they're definitely nice numbers to consider!

I also don't know if this is a good indicator. I look up villagers all the time to see what their personality type is while island hopping, or when I see mention of one I am not completely familiar with.

accurate or not, I think it'll at least be interesting to see which villagers are most commonly looked up. I'd also argue the most popular villagers probably aren't frequently searched, and people instead are looking for something specific (e.g. I've only used wiki this year to look up info about villagers for event prompts on here haha)

I'm suspecting that we will find the common popular villagers heading this list, a proof :
  • that these sought-after villagers ARE very popular
  • that a wiki site visited by millions of people is a great indicator of villager popularity

i'm always really intrigued by what everyone considers as "popular villagers" (regardless of disregarding it for my own opinion) so this will be interesting!

I also think that this won’t be a good indicator of popularity because I look up most villagers that I find while island hopping because I want to see their house interior.
I'm stumped. Why would someone base any judgement on his/her own use of the wiki? Amidst the tens of thousands of visitors Nookipedia received each day? How is one click now a good indicator for the 99.999% of the rest?

It reminds me whenever doctors post stats on Twitter and get answers from randos like : I don't think it's true because my half sister once had such and such and she said... :cautious:

I think people are underestimating others when saying popular villagers don't get looked up much ahah. Maybe for people active on TBT the "popular villagers" are a given and it's clear what they look like/what kind of personality they have. But there's an insanely huge amount of new players since New Horizons who I think definitely look up a lot of the popular ones as well.

I think it's very interesting to see who gets the most searches and perhaps there will be some surprises!

I think people are underestimating others when saying popular villagers don't get looked up much ahah. Maybe for people active on TBT the "popular villagers" are a given and it's clear what they look like/what kind of personality they have. But there's an insanely huge amount of new players since New Horizons who I think definitely look up a lot of the popular ones as well.

I think it's very interesting to see who gets the most searches and perhaps there will be some surprises!

I whole-heartedly agree. I think there are already surprises.
  • I would have thought Rosie to rank much higher than at #25.
  • Same thing for Lucky who was beaten by Pietro of all villagers (not that I would want either on my island).
I would have hoped Ketchup to rank higher, but that is only personal tastes.

Exactly! And for Pietro, I wonder if he's really "popular" or he's just looked up a lot because he's a really unique villager. I'm guessing the latter haha.

I'm wondering if Dobie is in this, cause to me. He went from being a niche villager to a "dreamie" for Crankies this game.
True.
It's also the case for Gonzo who's wooden cabin seems to be all the rage for people going for a forestcore island. But my references might still be too niche to break into the Top 25.

Last edited:
I love lucky! It’s good to see he made the top 25 lol. Rosie is cute for sure but I just never understood the obsession that part of the fan base has with her. Oh well! I don’t have to understand everything lol, I’m sure there are some villagers I love that others would be asking the same question

ah, the list looks pretty nice so far!! while popularity is definitely a spectrum and isn’t really something that i consider to be definite, these sorts of lists are always kind of cool to see! looking forward to seeing who else makes the list. :’)

Bob barely cracked the top 20... He seems to have fallen from popular grace since New Horizons has debuted.

Last edited:
Seeing Bob at #19 makes me believe Punchy will be nowhere on this list.
The inclusion of 8 newcomers really threw a wrench in the New Leaf popularity machine. I remember Tangy also being somewhat popular when I came to this forum way back (I had a different account then). At this point, I'd be stunned if she even makes it into the Top 25.

Back