• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon How do you feel about ORAS?

I was never a fan of Ruby and Sapphire anyway. They've always been the Pokemon gen that I just couldn't get into for some reason.

I picked up Omega Ruby to see if my feelings have changed and...Eh...I'm still struggling to care about it. I've tried going in with the mindset that it's not the same game due to a lot of the changes, but it's not really helping.

I think a big reason is that I just think that the Pokemon in the game are subjectively awful. The only Pokemon that's ever stood out to me in the game is Mawile. Aside from that...*blegh*. I'm currently running around with a team of Pokemon that I don't really like (and my lovely Mawile) and for me, that really spoils the enjoyment a lot. Do I really want to travel with a bunch of things I don't care for?

The main character (male) has always looked stupid to me as well. With X/Y (finally) having customization, I thought this wouldn't be an issue anymore...But...Well...Yea...
I thought the design was bad anyway, so character customization isn't exactly an issue with the game since it was never there to begin with...But after X/Y, this could have at least rectified that.

I don't even think that it's really the Pokemon designs. I didn't particularly like Gen IV's Pokemon either, with the Shinx evolutions being the only ones from that gen I really REALLY liked, but I still loved that game.

There's just something wrong with R/S/OR/AS that rubs me the wrong way.

I liked R/S back on GBA, I thought this would be a shoe in again as another good remake but it's just alright. I do kind of agree that there's too much water like IGN said, there probably was back in 2003 but at the time I trained water type almost exclusive so I paid no mind. Now I'm over water and I'm bored with my team. I'm gonna wait for my N3DS and trade over some pokemon from Y to help me since I don't wanna pay for Poke Bank (and I used up my free demo ages ago) GTS with myself is dangerous...

Took the plunge and got Alpha Sapphire today! So far no regrets :)

Good haha c: Hope you like it!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I liked R/S back on GBA, I thought this would be a shoe in again as another good remake but it's just alright. I do kind of agree that there's too much water like IGN said, there probably was back in 2003 but at the time I trained water type almost exclusive so I paid no mind. Now I'm over water and I'm bored with my team. I'm gonna wait for my N3DS and trade over some pokemon from Y to help me since I don't wanna pay for Poke Bank (and I used up my free demo ages ago) GTS with myself is dangerous...

Yeah I wish you could download only the poke transporter

Game Freak's story telling is getting better and better and it synchronizes well as they advance in technology. Can't wait to see what Gen 7 brings. It's about that time, right? :p

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks Nintendo has been going over board and just loading these new Pokemon games FULL of dialog. There's SO MUCH DIALOG in these new games, it's crazy. There's soooo much reading to do. I'm not necessarily saying it's bad, but it's just so different from the older games. There was so much dialog in all the cutscenes in ORAS.

But that being said, I really loved Emerald as a kid. I logged over 300 hours on that game and it was my pride and joy...

Ugh, thiiiiis!!
You can even see the changes in the introduction to the games. Personally, I love Pokemon because of Pokemon. I want to catch a bunch of Pokemon, show off my Pokemon, battle with Pokemon, and just generally explore and enjoy a world with my Pokemon. Maybe it's because I'm a genwunner, and RBY had a very simple plot, but I have /never/ cared about the story. However, the story in Emerald actually added to the experience. It made the game the best in the series for me. I don't feel like the story makes as much sense or is as strong without the player trying to stop both teams from awakening the legendary beasts. If they just remade Emerald, too, instead of both Ruby and Sapphire, they wouldn't have needed to add the massive waste of time that is the Delta Episode. It's so easy and boring with so much BS, and then at the end Zinnia's daughter is just randomly dead and idek it was literally the most ridiculous thing ever. I genuinely think that the writers have changed for Pokemon. If I see the word 'ideals' one more time, I will bust a nut. It made sense in Black and White, since the legendary Pokemon were representative of the war between realists and idealists, but that's the only iteration I tolerate that annoying repetition in. I definitely think by trying to make things more complex, Pokemon is both taking away from the complexity that was already there and confusing and boring the tar out of players. Why was Zinnia acting the way she was? Why did she seem like a criminal? To make her interesting or complex? Why? Who cares? Her daughter is dead because...? All the Delta Episode was was meaningless exposition explaining why Rayquaza can Mega Evolve. Does there really have to be a reason? Rayquaza is a Pokemon, too! Any trainer can catch him; he's not Jesus. It stands to reason that he could Mega Evolve because of the bond he shares with a trainer just like any other Pokemon. Plus, that stupid story changed the way Sootopolis City was formed by making it an impact crater rather than a dome volcano that erupted from the sea and then collapsed in on itself, making the new Sootopolis a geological near impossibility because it's an island surrounded by water! DEEP WATER nowhere near land! It makes so much more sense that it's a dome volcano- like what, when the meteor hit the Earth, the crater just broke off and floated away? You understand how ridiculous that is because crust doesn't do that. It moves because of tectonic plate movement, which is increasingly slow. Sootopolis would have had to have formed millions and millions of years ago, and if that was true, it wouldn't be so dang tall. It'd be round, with less defined slopes and interior. It is obviously not round nor near flat and people live inside of it, so the crater is new, making this theory totally invalid. The crust was also so dense in some places and so light in others that the middle sunk into the bottom of the ocean and the rest didn't? Crust is a consistent density, and wouldn't break off of a continent and continue to float. That doesn't make any sense. Did it hit just a really tall island? That would have made a free-floating island in the middle of the sea a mountain. That doesn't make any sense! Any mountain in the ocean by itself is a volcano! It had to have been formed by a hotspot, so it's just a volcano! It only makes sense for Sootopolis City to be a volcano- the Japanese know volcanoes very well, being surrounded by them and living on an island that was formed by just such volcanoes, one of them being one of the most famous dome volcanoes in the world with a legendary crater that I assume Sootopolis City was based off of. Well, I used to assume. I disregard this statement as being so unrealistic and so freaking stupid so I don't let it mar my opinion of Hoenn, since it's just not true.
(As you might be able to tell, I did not like the Delta Episode, lol. I thought it was a good experience farm, though. >>)
Team Magma and Team Aqua were good in Emerald because they were fighting each other, too. You can see snippets of that in ORAS, but it doesn't really come off that way because you never really have to deal with the other team. The combination of Team Aqua and Magma trying to make the world better for people and Pokemon in different wrong ways and also having the added motivation of competing with each other and going about this in a criminal manner enhances their characters. Plus, without fighting one of the teams, where in the other game things are going on with that team, nothing is going on in your game, making that area of the game /utterly boring/. Lavaridge Town(Jagged Pass), the Mossdeep City Space Centre, and Mt. Chimney meant almost nothing to me in this game because I didn't have to do really anything over there (until the aforementioned trainwreck Delta Episode). Also when Kyogre and Groudon lay waste to Sootopolis and have to be stopped by Rayquaza, Maxie and Archie change and become friends because Rayquaza represents unity, balance, and 'calm skies' between harmonious, similar bodies like Land and Sea. In a maybe helpful analogy, Rayquaza is the Avatar, and Maxie and Archie's teams are both the Fire Nation. I'm probably making the story out to be more than it is, but I believe that maybe unwittingly, Emerald's is the best plot (next to B/W) in the entire series. ORAS doesn't have any of that. I like Steven and all, but he's everywhere because he's a rock expert and they have to integrate Mega Evolution into the story somehow. It's actually really annoying to be literally harassed by Steven and his exposition dumping throughout the entire story. Also Sea Mauville and New Mauville. *Loud sigh*.
Sea Mauville is almost as good as the original Abandoned Ship, though it's not nearly as randomly discovered and optionally interesting. I love the inclusion of Professor Cozmo's story and his relationship with his father. That is how a backstory should be done in games like this- I should listen to it by choice and come across it organically. Cozmo is such a random character to have this for, too, but it adds to the world. It makes the NPCs seem like real people, and I wish we had gotten more of that throughout the game. I missed Mr. Briney, I feel like I only was with the guy for 20 minutes when, in the originals, I was with that guy all the time (probably why that Route with the Abandoned Ship is so surreal when surfed on). Him and the sidequest in which the player rescues Peeko was so memorable in Emerald that I named some of my Pokemon, Nintenpets and other little companions "Peeko" since playing the game. It goes by too fast in ORAS, it all does. A story that paces itself well is much more epic than a story that explodes with action, ORAS. Also, why the shoutout to Kalos? That was not in the original, kids. They still decided to make Mauville City a gimmick at any rate because reasons, and I was really ready to throw the biggest fit in the world. It's safe to say that in ORAS, the story is nigh ruined for me.
However, as I said, Pokemon is about Pokemon. And the native Pokemon of Hoenn
kinda suck. (except rayquaza, #bestlegendary.) :C
Why is this my favourite region again?
Wait, I remember...
SURF and DIVE. Hoenn is gigantic, and in ORAS there are new places to explore that even die-hard explorers like me have never seen. There are plenty of hidden treasures and places to search for and find treasure. Heart Scales are much rarer than in Emerald, and I want to find them so badly! I love that there are TRAINERS underWaTEr- that made me scream so loudly. Hidden areas, yaaasss. Hidden Pokemon, yaaaasss. And I get to catch my bae, Lanturn (tho just too little too late, lanturn, wtf couldn't have been around 12 routes ago). I feel like such an explorer- where Kalos felt like a real world, but hella small, new Hoenn is a big wide place full of nooks and crannies. It is awesome.
Then, SECRET BASES.
I have always wanted my own gym.
I now have my own gym.
Then, POKEMON CONTESTS.
YES. I love traditional Contests, and though I miss the Berry Blender minigame, I still love feeding my Pokemon Pokeblocks and watching them crush the competition on that merit. Yeah. I feed them well.
And the super special talents are awesome. They crush. They are so amazing to watch. Contests are almost more frustrating than Pokemon battles in this game, especially against Lisia! Her Altaria keeps murdering me in the Cuteness competition, and I can hardly wait to get back in there and beat her silly!
Also, I like the Battle Resort despite having no interest in the Battle Maison. Interesting. Must be well designed with awesome NPCs or something.
The graphics are obviously great; the Pokenav Plus is the best thing to ever happen to me. Plus, the Hidden Pokemon have redeemed the selection for this game- I can own LOPUNNY and ARCANINE.
and I missed the trumpets. The trumpets are only occasionally back. but when they are back
they are back in HD, baby
And that is why I love this game. But also, I hate it, because other than Pokenav Plus and the Hidden Pokemon, those are all the things I loved about Pokemon Emerald, just beefed up a little. I can still play Pokemon Emerald, too. I have my GBA. I have the cartridge. I would play this game other than that one for...
the graphics?

I agree with the original post, ORAS was a total let down. I knew I'd regret buying the game. I had to literally force myself to finish it. I just never felt that strongly about Hoenn before. But it's a wonderful remake if Hoenn was your thing, you know?

I really, really, reaallllllyy hope trainer customization comes back. But they're trying to say it was a feature unique to Kalos due to French culture. :c

sorry what

Like some kind of apology for makin X/Y so bad, I don't know. I somewhat enjoyed the originals even if they were not my favorites but they really need to work on a possibly new games. Cut the stupid graphics and gameplay from X/Y and make the customization easier to obtain if you really need to include it.

from X/Y and make the customization easier to obtain if you really need to include it.

Ugh really. Either too expensive for nothing, you can't figure out which store sells what and when, etc etc. I just found a cute outfit and stuck with it.

Somehow though I must say the music has stayed pretty good quality. Still very catchy. I can't get May's theme out of my head ugh.

I thought ORAS was really easy :p I was hoping the trainer customization carried over but I guess they wanted to keep it nostalgic

so.much.text
Also GF saying that trainer customization is unique to Kalos is like saying that people buy clothes only in France.
Basically makes no sense, just like you said.

Sorry, I just really hated the Delta Episode... ;;;
Like, I wrote 20 lines on how Sootopolis should be a dome volcano.
//UPDATE: Sootopolis could also be a guyot. Still not a crater.

Last edited:
Ugh really. Either too expensive for nothing, you can't figure out which store sells what and when, etc etc. I just found a cute outfit and stuck with it.

You're lucky, I never found an outfit I liked.

I didn't expect to find something I liked anyway with band shirts and steel toe boots not exactly being typical Pokemon trainer attire, but you would think that you could AT LEAST get a pair or normal jeans. Why didn't they exist?

No, just bloody skinny fit jeans...I ain't wearing those.

More options are definitely needed.

I thought ORAS was really easy :p I was hoping the trainer customization carried over but I guess they wanted to keep it nostalgic

If they wanted to keep it nostalgic then they shouldn't have added Mega evolutions and Primals, or 'soaring'.

If they were keeping it true to the original, the only update the game would have gotten was 3D graphics.

Since I got a 3DS now I caved in and got this as well.

Seems good so far I've played, considering the remake aspect. Glad they kept wonder trade, I love abusing that **** lol.

Soooo much better than X/Y

I played the original Ruby and I'm enjoying/enjoyed ORAS. I brought OR for myself and AS for my fianc? but he didn't want it so I just use both, good way to make sure I get all the special Pokemon.

I had those original gen III but sold them and most of my gaming collection a few years ago so I could get a pretty rare vinyl record.

Loving WT so far, got a french Dratini and some Persian <3 (Dragonite and Persian being two of my fav 'mons)

Back