• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon How do you feel about ORAS?

Money Hunter

MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY
Bells
Orange Mote of Flame
I'm actually hoping for a new gen because ORAS was, to be honest, a bit of a let down. Primal reversion was basically mega evolution with a different name. There was no option to choose the main characters skin color. No character customization. The plot went along exactly like RSE with the only difference being primal reversion, and that was hardly anything to be excited about.

Atleast HGSS made it so that the plot occured after GSC. ORAS has no mention of that.

So, what are your thoughts about ORAS?

Atleast HGSS made it so that the plot occured after GSC. ORAS has no mention of that.

Could you elaborate? I don't remember any indication of that. Now I'm curious.

Personally, I loved ORAS. They're second only to HGSS in terms of being complete and slick games, IMHO. They could've been better but most of my quips with them were very minor.

It reintroduced move tutors so I am very happy it exists. And it gives a way to get "pentagon" old legendaries with the exception of a few.

Hmm... I don't know. I mean I invested over 500 hours in Pokemon Y, but like only a little over 20 in Omega Ruby. I thought the resort island was a lot better, but for some reason I just couldn't get too into it.

ORAS wasn't that great. Do I have fun when I play it? Yes.

Do I wish they had kept trainer customization? Yes.

I think that kind of turned me off to the game.

ORAS was great. I swear they change the dialogue to be better, less, for a lack of a better word, boring. R/S/E was my favourite generation so far, and this makes it even better! Flying around on Latios/Latias was very fun, Delta Episode was great and introduced an amazing character.
I also see a lot of complaints about no customization on other sites, but it wasn't that interesting in my opinion. It wasn't boring, and I would customize my character, but I didn't care much.

Last edited:
I agree with the original post, ORAS was a total let down. I knew I'd regret buying the game. I had to literally force myself to finish it. I just never felt that strongly about Hoenn before. But it's a wonderful remake if Hoenn was your thing, you know?

I really, really, reaallllllyy hope trainer customization comes back. But they're trying to say it was a feature unique to Kalos due to French culture. :c

ORAS was great. I swear they change the dialogue to be better, less, for a lack of a better word, boring. R/S/E was my favourite generation so far, and this makes it even better! Flying around on Latios/Latias was very fun, Delta Episode was great and introduced an amazing character.
I also see a lot of complaints about no customization on other sites, but it wasn't that interesting in my opinion. It wasn't boring, and I would customize my character, but I didn't care much.

^This. I actually really enjoyed ORAS. I liked the overall Groudon story, and the Delta Episode story was a really nice touch to the game too. I was disappointed by the lack of post-game content, the same as XY, but at least ORAS has mirage spots and a few extra legendaries to catch. Whereas even being completely new to me, XY was probably the most boring Pok?mon experience I've had... I was a bit disappointed they didn't keep the customization in ORAS, as it's an extra feature, but I think I only ever changed my appearance once in XY, so I was mainly indifferent to it going.

I actually found it quite boring. I loved X and Y so it was abit of a let down, to be honest.
I really missed character customisation too. It was so fun in X and Y! You could see all the other trainers
Outfits and spend ages messing around with all the clothes.(I spent too much time thinking
About the right clothes for the right weather condition) I got bored of my copy of alpha sapphire as soon
As I got out of that truck! Maybe I should give it another go though, I've only completed one gym! Maybe the better features
of the game have to be unlocked!? I'll still buy every other pokemon game though! I think the purpose of omega ruby alpha sapphire was to bring nostalgia anyway. I never played the original.:(

Well, I definitely enjoyed the come back of secret bases, contests, and manually flying on Latios & Latias. They should have kept trainer customization, which ultimately disappointed me and should have made the game 3D throughout without frame rate issues. I feel like I'm playing in a game that was once PNG but compressed to JPREG and that's preventable. Also, it would be nice for all future Pokemon games to have the gym background while you're battling the trainers leading to the leader. It doesn't make sense that it would be solid grey and then the leader has a beautiful background. ORAS disappointed me somewhat, but in all, it was a Pokemon game and I enjoyed it. The next one will hopefully improve from all the negatives.

ORAS was alright... I only have 8 hours into it (got distracted as I bought Fantasy Life at the same time) and I was already halfway done with the story line? I haven't picked the game up since December though, but I will soon as it's a great game to unwind and relax in, it's just the game doesn't give me that urge to want to play it everyday or in long periods of time :c
I remember as a kid I was obsessed with Pokemon Sapphire (my first Pokemon game).

It disappointed me really.. It was a good remake, but after you finish the story and delta episode that's kinda it. Hoenn wasn't really a favorite region of mine, but I bought it cause it was Pokemon, you know? And I wanted to see how it had changed. I spent over 400 hours on my soul silver game (but it was also my first pokemon game so I was really excited about doing EVERYTHING on the game) I think HGSS was a better remake, but that could be just me.... And I agree they should have added character customizations again Dx

Now for a proper opinion on these games. Beware of potential spoilers.

I must say that when I played them, it felt like I was forced to complete the game as fast as possible. I felt like I had no reason to explore the world properly. Maybe it was because I've played the old games and know what to do, whereas if I had never played it before I would have gotten lost and had the time to explore whether I wanted to or not.

The game progress was very uneventful. The Team Magma/Aqua dialogue was the only thing that really happened. Gym leaders were pushovers and I flew past every gym. It didn't feel like an effort anymore. I have never beaten the elite four on my first try before, I always used to be underlevelled in the old games, and this was without Exp share.

It is nice they added ways to get all the legendaries and move tutors, but other than that it didn't really feel like much. It meant much more for people who never played Hoenn in the past, and little except nostalgia for people who already played it.

I think Nintendo tried hard to keep the original game while adding new elements and integrating new features like mega evolution into the story line. It seemed a bit cheesy though when all the major story characters had a mega ring/bracelet/necklace/whatever. In X and Y it seemed like such a big deal to work towards the mega bracelet, but in ORAS it is not only given to you as if it is just a casual item but literally everyone seems to have one except gym leaders. It just seemed to break up the integral concept of mega evolution and it being rather special.

The concept of flying around with lati@s was a nice idea, but it seems so flat in the way it was implemented. It just seems...meh.

The delta episode was not what I'd hoped. It just took optional content in the old games and made a story out of it. Not like the islands in Firered and Leafgreen or Kanto in Gold and Silver. It was also short as hell, and I see the reason that you were sent all over the world was mostly to waste time. I know it was part of the story with Zinnia and stuff but it just seemed lame the way it was set up.

Nice game, but...

Last edited:
I like trainer customization :')
I could at least be the right skin color with that...

Looks like it has a lot of mixed comments.
Most of the people are saying that the flying around on latias/latios was a good feature, but that alone isn't enough to make up for the disappointment...

I was glad that secret bases returned and that's pretty much all it's got. The novelty of flying on latias/os soon wore off and I used the fly move most of the time since it was waaaay faster.

The delta episode was nice, but not that great. Especially that boring trip to the top of the tower when trollfreak was trying too hard to make it less boring.

- - - Post Merge - - -

In X and Y it seemed like such a big deal to work towards the mega bracelet, but in ORAS it is not only given to you as if it is just a casual item but literally everyone seems to have one except gym leaders. It just seemed to break up the integral concept of mega evolution and it being rather special.
This. I hated how ORAS butchered the feeling of getting a mega bracelet.

It's a mixed bag, and some of my complaints are ones from the days of R/S/E. I want to do a full review on ORAS, but I need to plan that out. I'm not going to comment on the Delta Story, because I haven't gotten to it yet (I did beat the game once in a nuzlocke, but then went back to do another nuzlocke run with different rules).

Pros:
-Better graphics
The graphics definitely cater towards what the 3ds is capable of. Now, I do admit that I leave the 3D off, but otherwise, the graphics are amazing.

-Re-usable TMs
Like with Gen V and VI, you can re-use the TMs, so you don't have to worry about making the choice of "who am I going to teach that to, and how will I get another one once I use it?".

-The champ gets more involved with the story
I don't remember much of Ruby, but I really don't recall any interference being run by the champion. Like in X/Y, the champ just sort of left it up to the player to deal with a couple maniac teams. In ORAS, the champ gets much more involved, and you see him quite a lot.

-Secret bases
I honestly saw no point in secret bases in Ruby, and considered it a waste of money. There was no online play, so you were really the only one who ever saw your secret base. In ORAS, they introduced a "capture the flag" game with it, secret pals which can really help you out, and the ability to scan and share your own base using QR codes.

-The Sneak feature
This is, by far, one of my favorite features of ORAS. Granted, it doesn't always tell you everything about the pokemon (especially if you haven't encountered it a few times first), but these pokemon have a chance of having one or more perfect IVs, a higher level, a hidden ability, or an egg move.

-Pokemon Amie and Super Training
As a rule of thumb, I don't use Pokemon Amie when I nuzlocke because the more hearts your pokemon has, the more benefits you get (such as more exp in battle, or even the chance to shed a status condition without Shed Skin). For non-nuzlocke players (or nuzlockers who allow the use of Amie), it's a great feature.
Super Training is also excellent, because it's easier to understand and easier to use than prior EV training methods. Of course, for old-school EV trainers, hordes are still available.

Cons:
-There are still way too many HMs
Cut, Strength, Surf, Fly, Dive, Waterfall, Rock Smash...seven HMs, just like in R/S/E. And with the exception of Cut, you need ALL OF THEM to progress through the game. The move deleter isn't until Lilycove City, and in a game as long as Gen III and a world so large, it'll be quite some time before you can get rid of that crappy HM move.

-The amount of pokemon you can catch in one area is pathetically small
Hoenn is a tough region to nuzlocke, because it uses only Gen III pokemon until you get the National Dex (with the exception of a couple, such as marill, or locations such as the Safari Zone). Up until then, especially on later routes, there aren't many new pokemon to catch...and many of the "new" ones are water-types. Either way, there's barely any variety in what you can catch.

-The Safari Zone
I didn't bother with this in my copy of Ruby, but in ORAS, you need to have access to both bikes to get all of the items and access all of the areas in the safari zone. And, like above, the amount of pokemon you can get in the SZ is pathetic.

-The game feels much too easy
It's not just due to the exp share; gym leaders and gym trainers are easier to defeat for some reason. Brawly's gym once wiped out my entire team when I first played Ruby, and a couple of the trainers along the way really gave a smack-down on my pokemon. I went in with baited breath during my first run of AS (especially since I play with nuzlocke rules), and swept the entire gym with a Taillow which wasn't even over-leveled.

Neutral:
-Player customization
I'm also one who would have loved to see this come into ORAS, but let's be realistic; it's far easier to get money in X/Y than it is in ORAS, and you have no shortage of funds to drop on clothing. Yes, it'd be great to not look like every other player, but besides the money issue between the games, there was no customization option in the original R/S/E; so, I really had no expectations for this one.

-Hoenn is a HUGE region
I list this one under "neutral", because that's both a pro and a con. It's a long game, and the length makes it a true adventure, but sometimes, it just takes too long to get from one end of the map to the other.

-Freeflying on Latios/Latias
Probably one of the biggest letdowns, in my opinion, was this. Yes, you can fly around to mirage spots and battle legendaries, but I expected "freely travel the skies" to mean that I can stop at any point along a route, or at least have an option to go directly to a secret base (particularly my own) or a berry patch.

It was meh for me, I didn't feel interested enough to complete the game. Removal of trainer customization really annoyed me.

I only have 22 hours in it as opposed to the time wasted in Pokemon X and Pearl. Just need to play some more I guess!

Last edited:
I haven't even beaten the Elite 4..I just can't seem to get into it. I don't know what's wrong with me?! I've been Pokemon mad for the last 15 years, even X and Y got over 1000 hours gameplay and it's one of my least favourite in the series!!! I couldn't wait for ORAS to come out, but when it arrived almost right away, I don't know, it just didn't hold any of my attention and I got bored. I am trying again with it though, I was very distracted with the TBT Fair and Christmas at the time so, maybe it needs some undivided attention to help me get back into it.

Back