• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

MATH ~ What fraction is greater ?

CaliNewLeaf

Fauna ♡
Bells
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
Hey guys! So I'm doing my homework.

Here is the question :

Explain how, without multiplying, you can determine whether to put < or > in the circle below
2/7 x 3/10 O 2/7

By the way, those are fractions lol :D

Explain without multiplying the question thanks! There may be a tbt reward!

P.S this isn't cheating, I'm just confused because - so far i think its equal!

- - - Post Merge - - -

yaas, hard am i right?

Last edited:
3/10 is a fraction therefore the product will be less than what its multiplying (as multiplying a number by a fraction/decimal greater than 0 and less than 1 always produce a smaller number for it, assuming all parts of the equation are initially positive... also as always, multiplying by 0 will also always produce a smaller number unless you are multiplying 0 by 0 or the other number is a negative) so therefore as both the other numbers are the same the problem on the left will come out less than (<) the number on the right

I think

I'm not going into negative numbers though, as that's a whole new level of explanation, (or rather just more rules to add based on where the negatives are, how many, etc) which seems unneeded

Last edited:
3/10 is a fraction therefore the product will be less than what its multiplying (as multiplying a number by a fraction/decimal greater than 0 and less than 1 always produce a smaller number for it, assuming all parts of the equation are initially positive.... though multiplying by 0 always results in 0) so therefore as both the other numbers are the same the problem on the left will come out less than (<) the number on the right

I think

I'm not going into negative numbers though, as that's a whole new level of explanation (or rather just more rules to add based on where the negatives are, how many, etc)

lol so confusing

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh WAIT. nvm i see, okay i found it out X3. turns out, that 3/10 is ALREADY there. it wasnt added in so you're not really supposed to do anything. thanks for your help! for your confusing effort, i hope 20 tbt is ok!

It's 2/7 * a fraction and 2/7. A fraction is essentially a decimal. When you multiply a number by a decimal the end result is larger than the smallest but smaller than the largest. If you know 2/7 is being multiplied by 3/10, you know the value of 2/7 is going to shrunk down to 2/7 * 0.3, which is smaller than 2/7.

2/7 * 3/10 < 2/7

3/10 is the same as 0.3 aka 30%, so if you multiply a number by 30% the number will obvs be smaller than the original.
Given any number, if you multiply it with a fraction it'll be smaller than the original, as long as the fraction's denominator is larger than the numerator.

From what I understand the answer is < because 2/7*3/10 is asking "What is 3/10 of 2/7" so it's going to be less than 2/7. You're taking 3/10 of 2/7 away from it (that's worded really oddly so it might be wrong or confusing).

Back