• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mafia Toad rescue mafia (mario-themed) sign-ups now closed, game starting

King koopa

🎈 Balloons 🎈
Bells
Island
Soulturn
Purple Balloon
Blue Balloon
Light Blue Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Purple Balloon
Andromeda Potion
Raven Wings Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Rosewater Potion
Purple Bat Potion
Rescue_Squad_Chief_PMCS_sprite.png
Hello. I've been hoping you'd stop by. Toad town is under attack, and we need some new team leaders. We need as many toads as we can get for this mission. Though be warned, there might be some Goombas in disguise on our team, so watch out for that. New to mafia? Not to worry, I'll explain how this game will work.

There will be at least 8-9 team leaders (
town) 2-3 Goombas (Mafia) and at least one kamek (Cop). Each player will have their own special ability, which will be revealed in a role pm, and will also be revealed at death along with their role. You can choose to share your ability publicly, and can use your ability during the day or night depending on your ability. Other than that, this game will work like traditional mafia, except with a twist. Each role will also have their own objectives:

Team leaders: (town) Your job is to eliminate all Goombas. You cannot kill other members, but you do have your voice. You can vote out other players in hopes of eliminating those pesky, sneaky Goombas.
Kamek: (Cop) Your job is just like the town, but you are given the opportunity to interrogate one person per day. You Cannot do this at night however, but you do have the ability to kill, but only after an interrogation. You also won't have an ability, because you don't really need one. Interrogations will be announced by me in the thread after they have finished, and the kamek can chose whether or not they want to disclose the information they have collected. Kameks however cannot ask potentially game breaking things, such as their roles, but are allowed to ask for what ability the person they are interrogating has, and what it does. They are also allowed to ask for that person's thoughts about what happens in the game, such as someone dying or someone saying something suspicious about them.
Goombas: (Mafia) Your job is to get rid of those toads! You also have abilities, and they are typically more powerful than town abilities. You have the ability to kill any team leader or cop at night, and you and the cop the only roles with the ability to do this.

Once again, although this game is slightly different from regular mafia, normal mafia game rules apply.
1. No pming other players unless you are a
kamek. Also, if you are interrogating someone, don't forget to let me know, and add me to the pm so I can announce that it happened. If you would prefer for me not to do that, feel free to let me know. Like stated before, as a kamek, you can share what information you collected to your fellow team leaders, but you are not required to if you would prefer not to.
This is the host color. Please do not use it. I will only use it for important information related to the game such as someone having to be written out of the game due to behavior, inactivity, or is unable to play and is being replaced.
3. This is the question color. Only use it if you have a question directed to me, or you can just pm me if you don't want to ask it publicly.
4. Players will be taken out if they aren't active in the game for 2 or more days, unless they have an excuse. If they have an excuse, they will simply be put on the waiting list, and someone will temporarily take their place, and will be able to take back their spot if all goes well. However if said player is inactive, and does not have an excuse, they will be written out the game, and replaced permanently.
5. Finally, please remember that this is just a game. Please do not personally attack, tease (unless it's done in a joking manner and the person is not serious) discriminate, or do anything that will make anyone upset.
6. For the mafia chat, spectator chat, and graveyard chat, i will be using itch.io since it seemed to be working fine last game, but if you have any alternatives, please pm me and any goombas you are working with and we can set up a plan.

FAQ before the game starts so far: (Before you ask a question, please check here before you post to see if it was already answered here)

Q: How would the Cop be different from a neighbor role?
A: Copied from my most recent post:
Player A and Player B are playing this mafia game.
Player A is a cop, and Player B is town.
Player C, who is also town, votes for Player B because they refused to use their ability when they had a good time to, and Player B's ability is the the mega mushroom, that allows protection from an elimination attempt like I sad beforw.
Player A would interrogate Player B, and after learning about why they did that, they decide not to vote them, and vote Player C.
Player D also votes Player C, and Player C is eliminated.
However Player A would have the chance at night to kill Player B based on the information that they have collected, and can decide if the way the Player was acting was suspicious to them.

Without further ado, let's get started!
Pinging people from the last game:
@BetsySundrop
@tessa.
@Ghost2008
@Miss Misty
@b100ming
@shawo
@shellbell
@Caffline
@Elundor
You all are not required to join, and you can definitely ignore this if you want, but I'm just seeing if there is any interest.

Last edited:
Hmm /rep idk since school is starting back up if i'll have time... but imll join if you need more.
Post automatically merged:

/obs as well because i'd like to take notes :)

So...we got a deal? Lol, just kidding.
I'll /in.

Screenshot_20211229-201607_Chrome.jpg
Guess I'll start praying to the rng gods, lol.

Oh yeah, and just a heads up, I plan on having the sign-ups close on the 7th, but will most likely push it back further if we don't get enough players. Also if anyone has any idea if anyone else would be interested, by all means let them know! Until then everyone!

I'd advise lowering the playercount to 9 to 10 rather than. 11 to 12 if you can tbh, 12 players was difficult even for me who knows who to reach out to for inviting because I have been in the community for a long time. You may have trouble getting enough signups here.

Also I think calling that a cop is confusing if it's a day chat opened up on the side where you can ask but not forcibly obtain role/alignment info. If all they can do is isolate and question it's probably just going to be a townie who can make a 1 day neighbor per day.

I'm on the fence because I am trying to push away distractions such as mafia but at the same time I am craving a casual game...

I'd advise lowering the playercount to 9 to 10 rather than. 11 to 12 if you can tbh, 12 players was difficult even for me who knows who to reach out to for inviting because I have been in the community for a long time. You may have trouble getting enough signups here.

Also I think calling that a cop is confusing if it's a day chat opened up on the side where you can ask but not forcibly obtain role/alignment info. If all they can do is isolate and question it's probably just going to be a townie who can make a 1 day neighbor per day.

I'm on the fence because I am trying to push away distractions such as mafia but at the same time I am craving a casual game...
Yeah, I'm still debating on the player count, probably just gonna maybe have it to 9 or 10 if we don't get enough players, since I know getting people interested can be hard as I've observed from previous hosts getting invites. Also I was thinking about giving cops the ability to kill but I'm not sure if that would be too overpowered, and might be confusing since there are already a maximum of two daily kills, the person that gets voted out, and the person that the mafia kills, however I could make it so that if the cop kills someone, mafia can't for that day. Still accepting suggestions though! Also might move the sign-ups to the 0th to give more time if needed since I know people have other priorities i.e, work, school, etc., and maybe starting on a weekend would be more helpful for those people.

Yeah, I'm still debating on the player count, probably just gonna maybe have it to 9 or 10 if we don't get enough players, since I know getting people interested can be hard as I've observed from previous hosts getting invites. Also I was thinking about giving cops the ability to kill but I'm not sure if that would be too overpowered, and might be confusing since there are already a maximum of two daily kills, the person that gets voted out, and the person that the mafia kills, however I could make it so that if the cop kills someone, mafia can't for that day. Still accepting suggestions though! Also might move the sign-ups to the 0th to give more time if needed since I know people have other priorities i.e, work, school, etc., and maybe starting on a weekend would be more helpful for those people.

You might get more sign ups with @ list of players from earlier games. Or pm earlier players.

Fwiw, you're the host so you get to decide roles, but it might be a good idea to have the roles match what they usually do to avoid confusion.
When I was trying to fake that splatoon role, I found a great resource for mafia roles. 😆
If the link works- tells role names, alignment, good explanation of what they do:

https://mafia.gg/guide/roles

And I maybe wouldn't take away mafia ability to kill. If only town can kill, a wee bit unbalanced maybe. (Watch me rand town and cry after d1 nk is me....)

You might get more sign ups with @ list of players from earlier games. Or pm earlier players.

Fwiw, you're the host so you get to decide roles, but it might be a good idea to have the roles match what they usually do to avoid confusion.
When I was trying to fake that splatoon role, I found a great resource for mafia roles. 😆
If the link works- tells role names, alignment, good explanation of what they do:

https://mafia.gg/guide/roles

And I maybe wouldn't take away mafia ability to kill. If only town can kill, a wee bit unbalanced maybe. (Watch me rand town and cry after d1 nk is me....)
Thanks for the info! Though it might be a quicker game though, if there is a chance that three people can be killed, one from voting, one from mafia, and one from cop if they decide to (killing is optional for the cop to distinguish the role more from mafia). Though town does have items, same with mafia which do work in akin to @droqen's game, but I'm still not sure it that would be balanced? Obviously the cop role should have something besides interrogating like @Geoni said

Thanks for the info! Though it might be a quicker game though, if there is a chance that three people can be killed, one from voting, one from mafia, and one from cop if they decide to (killing is optional for the cop to distinguish the role more from mafia). Though town does have items, same with mafia which do work in akin to @droqen's game, but I'm still not sure it that would be balanced? Obviously the cop role should have something besides interrogating like @Geoni said

Yeah balance is good. In droqen's game, there were two vigilantes (two town that had a one-time kill ability). So that would have been 2 extra kills over the course of the whole game. Lot of firepower for town- the balance I think would have been the targeting and the fact that they could end up killing town instead of maf. 😂

I'm not ultra-experienced (5 games here?), so I don't know what a good balance would be, lol. Sorry not to be of much help. Good luck!

If I understand it correctly, the cop role usually picks a player to "investigate" at night and then gets a result back stating whether the player is maf or town-aligned, or it gives info on the ability/role the player has (which might not always indicate alignment). I'm not sure I understand why you want to give it the ability to kill or "interrogate" because that's, to my knowledge, not at all what a cop in mafia games does. Geoni said it right, what you're describing is basically just a neighbors chat. Anyone could have neighborizer as a role/ability, be it town or maf. Is there a reason why you aren't going with the well-established mechanic of the cop role, or why you want to call a neighborizer a cop?

Anyway, I'll /obs if this game does end up happening. Also I would love if, for the sake of readability, you could structure the text into paragraphs in your OP please. It's just hard to look at without breaks

Last edited:
Yeah balance is good. In droqen's game, there were two vigilantes (two town that had a one-time kill ability). So that would have been 2 extra kills over the course of the whole game. Lot of firepower for town- the balance I think would have been the targeting and the fact that they could end up killing town instead of maf. 😂

I'm not ultra-experienced (5 games here?), so I don't know what a good balance would be, lol. Sorry not to be of much help. Good luck!
Don't worry, you're totally helpful, even you're relatively new to this mafia like I am! Honestly while town doesn't have killing abilities, they do have this like the laser point one from droqen's game which can target another player, and the mega mushroom, which can avoid a kill attempt (can only be used for one day to make if fair, because it wouldn't be fair to have one unelimatable town), just to make sure that town isn't completely helpless, and to add balance like you said so that each role has their strengths.
If I understand it correctly, the cop role usually picks a player to "investigate" at night and then gets a result back stating whether the player is maf or town-aligned, or it gives info on the ability/role the player has (which might not always indicate alignment). I'm not sure I understand why you want to give it the ability to kill or "interrogate" because that's, to my knowledge, not at all what a cop in mafia games does. Geoni said it right, what you're describing basically just a neighbors chat. Anyone could have neighborizer as a role/ability, be it town or maf. Is there a reason why you aren't going with the well-established mechanic of the cop role, or why you want to call a neighborizer a cop?

Anyway, I'll /obs if this game does end up happening. Also I would love if, for the sake of readability, you could structure the text into paragraphs in your OP please. It's just hard to look at without breaks
I'll most likely do that, this was just for the sign-ups, and I will take this into consideration for the actual game thread, and the reason why it's still a cop is because I'm currently in the process of allowing the cop to also kill, but unlike mafia they are not required to. I'm pretty sure neighborizer roles can't do that, and it's just to make sure that the three roles are different from each other. Here's how that would work in a game to prove that it's different for anyone else wondering:

Player A and Player B are playing this mafia game.
Player A is a cop, and Player B is town.
Player C, who is also town, votes for Player B because they refused to use their ability when they had a good time to, and Player B's ability is the the mega mushroom, that allows protection from an elimination attempt like I said before.
Player A would interrogate Player B, and after learning about why they did that, they decide not to vote them, and vote Player C.
Player D also votes Player C, and Player C is eliminated.
However Player A would have the chance at night to kill Player B based on the information that they have collected, and can decide if the way the Player was acting was suspicious to them.

Last edited:
Back