• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

What sort of gimmick/theme do you want in the next Animal Crossing game?

What is Super Switch?

While it's rare I play a game without internet connection these days, it would limit gameplay for a lot of people to make it an online game. I also don't believe in region locking items and events. I do feel like there should be more variety in events though. Like Option A: release a new Christmas event every Christmas. Option B: Create a set number of Christmas events, and cycle through them each year. That way every Christmas there is something new to do that separates it from last year.... Also, let us celebrate foreign holidays for real, and not just get a mention and item.

Open world would be amazing if there was a world to explore outside of your town. Open World games are the only games worth playing as they are the only genre of games that offer you a bang for your buck.

Having the whole world is probably a better concept for a spin off game.
Super Switch is the Switch successor you haven't heard? :p

I agree, I don't know how I'd feel about it because a lot of people have been using TT from the beginning. But it would be interesting so I thought of it. Same with regional holidays. If it wasn't forced online and you could choose your region it would be a cool way have more holidays, especially if you could change your towns holidays after creation

IDK how they'd pull open world off, randomization is the only thing I can think of that would work in the current formula and ironically make it an open world I care about lol

Anything other than an entire planet to customize would be a let down tbh it's the natural progression of the series (jk)

My dream gimmick... Is simply Collaborative towns

Picture this: Each player has their own town as home base, but should they wish, they could join a friend to create another town that each of them could develop online in real time.

This is a nice evolution of town building: Town building with an agreement of a friend or so - And each doing it through wifi at their own timing and pace. It would make multiplayer a lot more meaningful than each player just showing off their town and not much else.

I want to be able to create a town or city from the ground up where you can craft things but there is a shopping plaza that has a couple of buildings that are there from the start which are a small office that is the city or town hall, post office, police station, and small stand where Tommy and Timmy sell a few items. You can eventually expand each building to get more features and services but you can also change how they look on the outside including the roof and door.

im with the few other people in this thread who don’t want a gimmick. new horizons was too gimmicky in my opinion and that’s what ruined it (but it was also the driving force of why it sold so well other than the pandemic).

i’d love if we could return back to the town setting, and go back to being a resident or mayor. i’m all for customization but i don’t like the idea of controlling every single thing down to the cliffs or rivers. i just miss the sporadic aspect of the series. the ability to control where buildings and villager’s houses are is fine, but terraforming was a bit too much.

i guess all i want is a new game that combines both new horizons and new leaf. but i acknowledge that nintendo will have to progress beyond that and come up with a new gimmick in order to make a successful game. the only gimmicks that i could think of is possibly a progressive storyline, that isn’t as boring as the of beginning new horizons.

Last edited:
im with the few other people in this thread who don’t want a gimmick. new horizons was too gimmicky in my opinion and that’s what ruined it (but it was also the driving force of why it sold so well other than the pandemic).

i’d love if we could return back to the town setting, and go back to being a resident or mayor. i’m all for customization but i don’t like the idea of controlling every single thing down to the cliffs or rivers. i just miss the sporadic aspect of the series. the ability to control where buildings and villager’s houses are is fine, but terraforming was a bit too much.

i guess all i want is a new game that combines both new horizons and new leaf. but i acknowledge that nintendo will have to progress beyond that and come up with a new gimmick in order to make a successful game. the only gimmicks that i could think of is possibly a progressive storyline, that isn’t as boring as the of beginning new horizons.
tbh, it's less I don't want a gimmick and more "I don't want the next game to have the world's most overcomplicated gimmick", but equally I don't want the next game to just treat NH as an absolute failure and default to the world's most generic version of AC as an overcompensation, or even just "let's make New Leaf again but with some of New Horizons' mechanics, ie. let's just make New Leaf again but with MORE POWER, the thing that's kind of the issue here", because "it's another Animal Crossing game, same as before" doesn't fill me with hope.

there needs to be some form of USP (whether that's a character-based one like WW, a location-based one like LGTTC or NH, or a power-based one like NL or NH), otherwise why are you making another game in the series? What is the point?

tbh, it's less I don't want a gimmick and more "I don't want the next game to have the world's most overcomplicated gimmick", but equally I don't want the next game to just treat NH as an absolute failure and default to the world's most generic version of AC as an overcompensation, or even just "let's make New Leaf again but with some of New Horizons' mechanics, ie. let's just make New Leaf again but with MORE POWER, the thing that's kind of the issue here", because "it's another Animal Crossing game, same as before" doesn't fill me with hope.

there needs to be some form of USP (whether that's a character-based one like WW, a location-based one like LGTTC or NH, or a power-based one like NL or NH), otherwise why are you making another game in the series? What is the point?
yeah i mean that’s true. obviously they need a gimmick to make a new game, i guess i just don’t know what to expect/what i want, i just said a bunch of those things bc the gimmick in new horizons kind of made it overly stressful.

One other gimmick I thought of: Make all the non residential buildings customizable.

It would be a true fusion of Happy Home Paradise into the main town of animal crossing. The town you begin in starts kinda shoddy, but when you unlock a building upgrade, they ask you to design the building. And those building still would do all the activities in real life based on those upgrades.

It would make towns stand out a lot more, and I've always wanted to develop my own rendition of The Roost, among other things.

I really want the next game to have different choices for your “settlement”.

Desert? Glacier? Forest? Jungle?

It would give such variety and need for different fruit and veg. Perhaps certain veg can’t grow outside in the glacier setting and needs to be in a greenhouse or inside? Ice can’t be found in the Desert etc

That would mean different shops, mystery tours (with Kapp’n and Dodo Air/Land) would have a greater purpose in the game and players would have customisation without it feeling like the only way to customise is up craft and decorate with objects.

I want a better soundtrack, old dialogue brought back for villagers (especially the grumpy villager dialogue), Gracie to return, better shops and furniture sets and, for God’s sake, bring back Pete, Pelly and my Queen - Phyllis!
I feel like this would encourage the NOS for trading and dreaming. One of the complaints with NH was people saying the felt like all the dream islands look the same. This would definitely fix that lol.
(Also, a glacier could give way to fun made up flowers, crops, and fruit. Like ice berries, crystal roses, or something with ice cream or popsicles.)
------------------------------------------------------
I thought of a gimmick I want to see.
After meeting a visiting villager you haven't met before in the cafe or hotel (yes I'm assuming alot of stuff) you can get thier number to have forever and put them in a log so you can call them to your town later when you have an open plot. (Or hire them in a public building to slave away at, think of HHP facilities)

Last edited:
I don't know about a gimmick, but I want a lot of the OG features back like the Post Office. I just hope we can have more choices of environments. We've had a forest and island, and we've had access to a "big" city. It would be great to have the option to have your town be in a forest, on an island, in a mountainous area with a lot of rocks or something, maybe a desert, etc.

I love how much you can build and create to your own tastes on the island. From lakes, rivers and cliffs to streets and the placement of houses or shops. Would definitely miss that much customization options.

There's one gimmick I wish for more than any other: have the villagers interact with objects, items and their surroundings. Like in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, if you have a trampoline the villager actually uses it to jump up and down. It would add so much more depth to the characters. I've built an outdoor gym and a playground on my island but they just feel like lonely decorations without the villagers interacting with the placed objects.

Pokemon x Animal crossing crossover... Pokemon themed villagers

Not my idea, I've seen a few fan art concepts for this. I think it would be awesome!

Pokemon-As-Animal-Crossing-Villagers.jpg

triangle-82.png

Another gimmick I'd love to see: An entire separation between clothing templates and design patterns.

The issues with new horizons is there's an unnecessary number of clothing items due to all the color variations between them, and that since they have custom textures, they always make any patterns we make look too bland in comparison. What if instead all clothing starts out as neutral colored templates, and we could color them however we'd like? Or even put design patterns on top of them so they look more textured?

This would just unlock a huge amount of creativity with clothing items, and encourage more diversity of design patterns. Plus it would remove a lot of redundancy and bloat from the base clothing catalogue.

How about the option to design and play as an animal character? Pick the species, color, eyes, patterns/spots, etc.

The downside would be not being able to wear pants or shoes, though 😅

next animal crossing ............ we are an animal moving into a world of humans ........... and we have no control over anything. all the human villagers place things down and decide spots and we cant do anything about it. that's it. there is no other mechanic

/j

I don't mind anything in particular. It would be cool if we had to build an actual city this time, like bigger than the space It's given us on the Island. I would love to see them keeping almost all of the features in Animal Crossing New Horizons. Maybe, one thing I would like to see is being able to run a little faster. I think that we are really slow in the game, that it's almost painful. I get it that it's supposed to be chill and take time, but sometimes it truly feels like it's taking much time to run around the Island!

A hotel game would be fun! I'm not sure how well it would work as a mainline game but I'd definitely love it if we could work at or run a business aimed at the villagers. I loved the coffee minigame in NL and interacting with them is the highlight of the games for me. I hope it wouldn't be like Pocket Camp, though...

A spin-off about KK Slider would be cute, I agree!

I love the idea someone mentioned of the game being set in a big tree, it would be so cool to live in a big treehouse with everyone.

Mainly, I'd love it if we could choose different biomes or terrains for our town, with different climates, plants, etc.

Back