• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What potential features do you hope will NEVER be in an Animal Crossing game?

Lanstar

Bells
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
The Bell Tree World Championship 2021 Patch
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Blue Star Fragment
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
Summer Shell
Blue Hybrid Rose
Love Ball
Blue Candy
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Animal Crossing is a giant bottomless void that can absorb loads of features - As seen by all the wishlists made in these forums. But lets think the opposite: What new kinds of features do you NOT want in an Animal Crossing game?

Of course, there's preexisting things people might not want (Certain tools breaking, etc.) But let's speak more about potential features not yet in the game.

Personally, I hope they avoid romantic relationships with villagers, including stuff like marriage and dates. It would become a major problem with the real time nature of Animal Crossing, and open a major can of worms with the image of the game. I'd rather leave the shipping to internet fantasy threads rather than the game itself.
Post automatically merged:

(I mean like, the general villagers like fauna, etc - Special cases like Cyrus and Reese are fine)

I canโ€™t really really think of entire list of things thatโ€™s a possibility that hasnโ€™t been a thing, so Iโ€™m just going to politely disagree with an idea on here that someone else had:

I donโ€™t think shop owners (like Nook and Mabel) should get sick. It would ruin business in the game. I feel like it would be frustrating if we needed to sell stuff or wanted to go into one of the stores for whatever reason.

I am all for making the sickness feature more in-death for villagers, however, like giving them soup and even some comfort. ๐Ÿœ๐Ÿ’•

Microtransactions. Random loot box, furniture packs, villager packs.
Romance
Two versions of the same game that have different villagers available in them or even items and fruit to encourage trading and more purchases.

That's all I can think of atm.

Oh wow, I'm a little surprised to see a thread like this where we're welcome to share a negative perspective on something everyone likes. ๐Ÿคฉ Let me post here before anything happens to it! ๐Ÿ˜จ Okay okay, uuhh... how about we leave character customization where it's at and call it a day, huh? I don't want to play online one day and see players looking like mutants or something completely fictional. ๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐Ÿ‘พ Ruins the charm of living in a rural village with cute animals. ๐Ÿ˜” If it were up to me, we'd still be small children wearing pointy hats and shorts like the Gamecube days! ๐Ÿ˜ค

Human NPCs is something I would not want to see added. (Not that I think they would but just for the sake of this discussion) I enjoy being the only human and being surrounded animals is kinda the whole point!

Anything that makes the game more stressful. That's very vague but my first thought was "Please don't let characters die" which doesn't even make sense but certainly counts as stressful.

OK, I thought of something else. I think this was brought up a few years ago actually.

I hope that we donโ€™t ever have needs. Like hunger, or energy. I know new horizons did something similar but thatโ€™s different. Thatโ€™s just an optional thing to move trees and rocks.

iโ€™m talking about having to eat or sleep regularly to be able to function in the game properly.

โ€”An Animal Crossing Kart game is a no from me, dawg. (Though I liked the characters that appeared in Mario Kart 8.) Animal Crossing GTA sounds funny, but, no. It would ruin the coziness.

โ€”Needs like hunger, as someone said.

โ€”Drugs

โ€”Violence

โ€”Micro-transactions, as someone said.

โ€”If the village becomes a crazy busy city.

โ€”Your villagers going to school or work and being gone for indeterminate amounts of time.

โ€”The villagers being revealed as humans in fursuits.

โ€”Apocalypse, plague, natural disasters, nuclear (and non-nuclear) war.

โ€”Characters getting married. Wedding planning, getting picked as Best Man or Maid of Honor would be a lot, even virtually. (Cyrus and Reese are fine though.)

โ€”Characters dying.

โ€”Characters having children. (The kangaroos with their joeys are fine though.)

This is a tough question. The franchise is good at adding onto quality of life.

I do agree that it seems to be inching towards total and utter customization. I would rather not see a full scale editor. At least with the current systems in place it leaves room for skill and creativity.

Microtransactions. Random loot box, furniture packs, villager packs.
Romance
Two versions of the same game that have different villagers available in them or even items and fruit to encourage trading and more purchases.
Yes, I agree with all of those.
- The worst case is that the main AC games "learn" from Pocket Camp and have microtransactions and loot boxes. I feel that the HHP DLC was a step in that unfortunate direction.
- Villager-player romance is definitely something that would make me less likely to play. The current Valentines Day gifts that villagers give in the game is about as far as they should go with that.
- Finally, being a Pokรฉmon "fan", two versions of AC is a terrible idea. Furniture and villagers exclusive to one game and not the other would be something that I would be furious about. I've already stopped buying both versions of Pokรฉmon games, I wouldn't even think about buying two versions of AC.

- Another thing that would make me less likely to play would be main characters as animals. I feel that the appeal of AC is that you are the only human.
- As many have mentioned already...violence and adult themes, such as guns and drugs, would ruin the appeal of an innocent sandbox game like AC.
- Villagers having families and having children. I know it seems wrong to think about it, but this can be very abused by many players. Some ideas are best left unsaid.
- Real world politics in the game. It hasn't happened yet and I respect Nintendo for it but I despite politics in escapist entertainment and I want to keep it that way.

-Like others have said, microtransactions, especially if they have a gacha or "lootbox" component to them. There's already Amiibo cards, and we already have a paid DLC for ACNH, so I feel like pushing it any further is going a step too far.

-Alternate versions or anything additional that pushes multiplayer/online play. There's too much of that as-is imo.

-A "season pass" or subscription-based gameplay model.

-Any sort of tycoon/business-sim elements.

-I don't foresee heavy dark/adult/horror themes ever being added in an Animal Crossing game, but yeah, that would be... not good.

-PvP or player vs. villager combat. It's kind of funny to think about for a moment but I don't want to actually see that implemented ever lol.

-Similarly, the addition of monsters you'd battle against. Listen I love RPGs and I love fighting mobs in Minecraft but AC is not the place for this

-The dreaded "it was all a [coma] dream" """twist""" where all the villagers and NPCs are revealed to be animal versions of people you know in ~the real world~, or anything else immersion-breaking that hates fun and imagination.

-Survival elements especially if they're real-time based, so you're required to play regularly to not die or whatever.

-Romance/dating sim elements beyond current Valentine's Day/Reese & Cyrus levels that cannot be opted out of or avoided. If AC wanted to go in a Story of Seasons/Stardew Valley/etc. direction with heart events, where you could settle down with a villager and have a family, I would think that would be a... choice on Nintendo's part, but as long as it isn't forced on the player, it wouldn't stop me from buying.

-Romance/dating sim elements beyond current Valentine's Day/Reese & Cyrus levels that cannot be opted out of or avoided. If AC wanted to go in a Story of Seasons/Stardew Valley/etc. direction with heart events, where you could settle down with a villager and have a family, I would think that would be a... choice on Nintendo's part, but as long as it isn't forced on the player, it wouldn't stop me from buying.
Exactly, I would love something like this, just not forced. ^^

I saw some user bring up the idea of counterfeit artwork and statues negatively impacting your HHA score. I donโ€™t think itโ€™s a good idea because one of my favorite counterfeit statues is the ancient one and I can think of plenty of room ideas with it.

counterfeit artwork and statues negatively impacting your HHA score.
Maaan, the HHA can go suck an egg. ๐Ÿ‘…๐Ÿ‘Ž Maybe Zipper T Bunny has a big rotten one for 'em. ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฅš I never cared for the HHA's ratings. They just spam your mailbox with their junk mail and whine about furniture facing the "wrong" direction. Those clowns are lucky you can't bury pitfall seeds immediately in front of the door. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿšช

Well, this feature is already in an Animal Crossing game so it already fails the "never" part, but I seriously hope that breakable tools are never featured in any future Animal Crossing game ever again.

Back