• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Would you like to get married? 💒

How do you feel about marriage?

• Marriage isn't for me, ever.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • I'm not sure if I want to get married.

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • I want to get married one day (distant future).

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I want to get married one day (near future).

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • I am engaged to be married.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I am happily married!

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I am/was married, but it didn't work out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something different!

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters
I am on the fence about this one as I'm asexual. It would have to be someone really special to me to form a close bond, as I've never liked casual/quick relationships. Plus, I know some people I know disapprove but I would like an older gentleman - I've never liked people my own age - who would respect my choices and not feel forced into anything. If it happens all well and good, but if not I'm more than happy to continue as I am.

I'd like to do the whole marriage and kids thing, even though it still scares me at 27.

I've been dating my boyfriend for 1 1/2 years and I can definitely see that future with him, but you know, you can't know what the future has in store for you. I'd have to move in together with him first to see if he's really the one to do all of that with. And maybe when it comes down to it, maybe marriage and pregnancy isn't for me. I don't know, I definitely don't want either right now.

To compare it to points others have brought up, as someone who's worked for a city I do think that marriage is something longterm couples should take advantage of, but it depends on the country.

I had a person I would have loved to get married to. I don’t anymore. I can’t imagine I’ll ever feel that way again, so no.

That's not a proposal! 💍
but i was about to go and buy us engagement rings 😔

xjidncjdjf marriage isn’t something that i’ve ever given much thought about, to be honest. i haven’t been in a relationship since 2018 (personal choice), and i’ve never been so in love with someone that i thought about marrying them one day. i love the idea of romance, being in love, getting married and starting a family etc, but i’m so used to being by myself that romantic acts (kissing, holding hands, cuddling etc) just feel so awkward to me, and i have no idea how i would share my life with someone. like opening up and being vulnerable with someone?? sharing a bed and a room with someone? going on trips and having experiences with someone?? the thought of it is lovely, but the thought of it ever actually happening, or me trying to make it actually happen, feels like an impossibility with how ingrained it is in me to be alone and to keep to myself. i also can’t imagine anyone ever wanting to share their life with me; i feel like i have too much baggage and too many flaws to be anyone’s friend half the time, let alone anyone’s girlfriend or wife 😅

i’ve of course thought about what it would be like to get married— how the proposal would happen, what i would wear, where the wedding would take place, who would be there etc, but i just can’t imagine being anyone’s bride. i also have no idea who i’d be getting married to. any time i try to put a face to my potential future bride, groom, or partner, i draw a blank.

there’s a lot about myself that i need to work on before i can even consider getting back into the dating scene— i want to be able to bring good things and experiences to the table in whatever future relationship/s i have, and right now i can’t. for right now, i’m focusing on myself and my friends, and if someone enters my life in the future that i can imagine a future with, then i’m open to it. but where i am and who i am right now, it feels as possible as me ever going to space does.

tldr; marriage isn’t completely off the table for me, but it’s definitely a far, far, far away thing haha. maybe i’ll get to come back to this thread in five, ten, fifteen years with a ring on my finger :’)

I'm not sure, i would love to marry someone i love, that cares for me and is loyal, but i dont know if i will ever meet this someone.

I am the epitome of a hopeless romantic and love love and all forms of bonds, so I would be ecstatic to be married within the decade. I am a stupidly loyal-to-a-fault kind of lady, so I consider marriage to be a serious commitment and a formal, legal, and public promise to devote yourself to that person.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if I ended up being with someone who didn't believe in marriage, so long as I felt secure that they took the relationship seriously. I don't think I could be with someone who was allergic to all forms of commitment, lol.

That being said, I have a complicated relationship with my partner and sometimes it is difficult to imagine whether marriage will even be possible. There's also the fact that we only have a few family members we would even want attending, and most of our friends are out of state. So a big, dreamy wedding doesn't seem to be in the cards for me unless my life changes drastically.

i'd love to get married but i can barely even imagine myself as anyone's girlfriend.. let alone anyone's WIFE. i've never even been in a relationship, and i'm pretty sure it'll be like that for a very long time.

when i imagine the wedding, i realize that my family (mostly my parents) would probs be 10000% against attending so.. there's that as well lmao.

i'm a hopeless romantic and love physical affection, but marriage is one thing i have an unwavering no on. unpopular opinion, maybe, but it's such a waste of time/money to me, and there still isn't marriage equality for all -- i.e. if you're on disability or something and get married, it will screw you over. i just don't see the point, personally. if there was actual benefit to me and my partner getting married, it would literally just be a trip down to the registry office ahdkskfkgk.

I want to get married to the love of my life (my bf!) 💖. When I was in middle school I saw a four weddings episode with a really tacky, random, crazy wedding and I was so inspired and my family and I joked about what crazy outfits we’d wear. I wanted to invite Eduard Khil (the trololo guy) to preform live but he was already gone so I “settled” on an impersonator. But nowadays I would prefer a normal wedding, lol.

Despite I'm a hopeless romantic, I am not sure if I want to get married. There's too many hangups on my part, primarily me being on both the ace and autism spectrums that make it more trouble than it's worth.

In a fantasy world I would love to get married for the dress and the pretty party decoration. I've always dreamed of wearing a black dress, maybe even an antique mourning gown, having it all dark and gloomy, ...
but I know I wouldn't be able to handle any of it (organizing and throwing a big party, with a lot of people around, pretending to have fun) so while yes, I'd love to get married to the person I love, this will unfortunately not be a princess dream becoming true.

But that means it will still be an official act for the state to recognize our relationship, which also means a lot to me. We are legally bound together now by a piece of paper and a record. I think it's a big thing. I like the idea. Would love to, someday.

If I could platonically marry my best friend, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But to fall in love with someone and get married? I can't ever see that happening. Me being trans and a-spec makes it hard enough to find someone to be with, but being in a relationship has never been a huge concern of mine in the first place.

I don't want to get married ever. But I am incredibly happy when my friends got engaged and about to get married or when I see someone I know get married especially if I know the couple well enough that I know they'll be good.

BUT. I love attending weddings tho. Dunno why but they're just fun. Well, the ones I've been to got good vibes anyways lol

Not a big fan of people rushing to get married like they're trying to live this fast paced romantic movie fantasy they have in their head. Basically a waste of time and lots of emotional pain to people involved. If anything, they should treat it as a slow burn rom com lmao.

Nah, knowing my dumbass i'd be too ****ing neurotic to even be considered getting married like that **** just ain't really meant for me honestly or everyone else and i rather just enjoy my hobbies instead than focus on dating.

I'm not sure! I think it might be nice but I haven't met anyone that made me feel like I'd want to get married to them.

I’d consider getting married but I doubt it’ll ever happen. Having kids is a definite no, though.

definitely want to someday, but even the dating thing scares me 😭. my boyfriend is great though and makes me feel better about the idea of marriage.

Yes, hopefully within 5 years?
I never wanted to get married until i met my boyfriend, but he finds it very important and i love him! We've talked about it lots, and i really started getting to like the idea of promising to take care of eachother, make eachother laugh, make eachother happy and work hard for eachother, no matter what :)

dating or marriage isn’t exactly a priority i have for myself at this moment but i’d be happy if it happens in the future.

Back