• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Would you like to get married? 💒

How do you feel about marriage?

• Marriage isn't for me, ever.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • I'm not sure if I want to get married.

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • I want to get married one day (distant future).

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I want to get married one day (near future).

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • I am engaged to be married.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I am happily married!

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I am/was married, but it didn't work out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something different!

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

S.J.

💜
Bells
Island
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
That's not a proposal! 💍

How do you feel about marriage? I know many friends here are already married and many who aren't. Is anyone strongly opposed to it, or just doesn't see themselves getting married?

Tell me, are you a hopeless romantic? 🥰💖

I don’t mind the idea of marriage but I think that a couple should really wait awhile before tying the knot. Some people just do not work well together as a couple and are better off just being friends. For me I need someone who can be patient with me and my issues stemming from my autistic side and understand that I’m different than a lot of people and not judge me only on how I look or act and that I can suffer from episodes of social anxiety and that certain things trigger me and know how to calm me down whenever I get triggered.

well even if it did happen it would be a waaaaaaays away from now. I've always believed that a couple should be together for quite a while and really get to know each other before making a decision like that. I've seen so many unhappy marriages first-hand because the two decided to get married so early on; for example, my parents got married only four months after they met, and I guess they're not totally unhappy, but let's just say I hope if I ever get married that I'm a lot better off than they are. meanwhile, my older cousins literally dated for like 12 years before they got married, and they're still very happy together. granted, those are two pretty extreme examples, but it goes to show how time can really make a difference.

not to mention all the divorces, oh geez. my maternal grandpa literally married and divorced the same woman three times, even as a kid I thought that was ricidulous. I see marriage as a sort of sacred thing. it's not just something you do. you're literally making a decision to dedicate yourself to your partner for the rest of your life, it's a shame that most people don't seem to take it seriously. if I ever decide to marry someone, then it'll be something I've thought about for a long time and understand that it's an important lifelong commitment.

all that being said though, honestly yeah, I think I like the idea of being married. I never did when I was younger, I thought it was a waste. but that was long before I realized I'm demiromantic, and that finding the right person would make me feel the way I do now. getting to spend the rest of my life, bonded with that one precious soul, would be absolutely lovely 🥺💞💞

also, to answer your question. yes, I am most certainly a hopeless romantic aaaa 😭😭💓

I see marriage as a sort of sacred thing. it's not just something you do. you're literally making a decision to dedicate yourself to your partner for the rest of your life,

I adore this. ❤️

edit:
also, to answer your question. yes, I am most certainly a hopeless romantic aaaa 😭😭💓

😭😭 SAME lol

Marriage isn't for me...EVER! Hell, I've never even been in a relationship...it just doesn't have any appeal to me!

I'm happily married and been with my spouse for a long time. We dated for six years before getting married. Mostly waited that long because of finishing college, the cost of a wedding, and just getting other things in life in order. We were engaged for about a year or more? I am a little fuzzy on that.
Don't let culture or relatives rush ya.

The concept of marriage itself isn't that important to me, but I do like the idea of spending my life with someone. That said, I also really like being alone so I'd be perfectly happy either way. If it does ever happen then I wouldn't want it to be too big of a deal. A small ceremony would be enough.

Last edited:
Sorta complicated, but yes, it would be nice.

I'm somewhere on the asexual spectrum but have never really been sure about if there's a term that really fits me. Gray asexual seems to be the closest I've found so far, I suppose? I could go my entire life without intercourse and be perfectly happy; I don't find any body parts arousing, I feel no drive or desire for intercourse personally and the only appeal is the curiosity of "Hmm, I wonder what it's like?".

That said, I'm not sex repulsed as some asexuals are, I just kind of don't care.

I bring that whole aspect of a relationship up because it seems like it would be an important thing for whoever a potential marriage partner could be in the future. As I'm not repulsed, I'm not opposed to intimacy with a potential partner and would be willing to engage for their sake and to sate my own curiosity.

That aspect aside, I would very much enjoy the companionship of marriage and I like the thought of sharing my life with someone special. It's not necessary for me to be happy though. If it happens, it happens, and if it doesn't, it doesn't.

I am happily married to a wonderful husband 👬🌈

For me, going through this life journey with someone has been rewarding. I know its not for everyone, but for me its made me a lot happier. Being married is a commitment to love and cherish that person no matter how good or bad life can get...and we've certainly gone through the bad at times!

It’s complicated. I gotta say first, yes. I am a hopeless romantic. I even want to paint my partner. I want to be able to share my works with someone who gets it, ask for help and feel safe, grow with someone, and see them happy with what we share, laugh together, have in-jokes, have intellectual discussions, see their ideas and work… If there’s someone I’m intimate with and want to share those things with it’s a huge motivation. Whenever I’m into someone I’ve wound up associating everything with them.

But, I feel like I’m too hard to keep a relationship with. :/ I can’t put up with hurting someone over and over but I just change so much I know I’m hard to keep up with and that I can be confusing. Intellectually, I’m shut-out from having awful experiences in the past. It makes me miserable. I was making progress but repeatedly got let down recently by my boyfriend and now I feel like I’m almost back at square one and to the relationship specifically I’m pretty shut off. I don’t want to go on about drama or something here but I have to admit I just feel like my boyfriend doesn’t know how to support me the way I need and so far, nobody has. It always feels like make-up cuddles no matter how much I pull my weight, I’ve felt a lot of brain drain and some settling, some surprises and a lot of happy moments but I’m really hurting and I would feel worse right now if we were married. Do I just attract the wrong kind of person for me? Am I unreasonable? I have a lot to offer and it feels so good and purposeful when I can see someone bask in it but I also find nobody else knows what to do for me in response.

So, I don’t know. Idealistically I would like it, but realistically I‘m pretty scared of it. If you asked a month ago I would have handily been saying yes- I went through a lot of hard stuff, and thought I could have a break afterward- but recent events have reminded me why I didn’t want a relationship numerous times before I met my current boyfriend. The stress over the years has culminated in me getting really physically sick, my body is feeling from the stress, I’m seeing the same mistakes over and over and I just hate this. Not only am I demiromantic, but lithromantic, tbh. I think romantic urges feel like a burden a lot of the time, they can give some of the best feelings but I wish I could just trade them away instead. I was happier before I became a hopeless romantic snd I had more self-love. The times I’ve had a boyfriend have been some of the most unstable times in my life. It always seems to wind up that when I’m in a relationship and have a problem, it makes my boyfriend sad and it becomes about that and I have to pull the weight for both of us. I wish I could at least tone it down. ): I would be very happy to see this change and I’ve been waiting and trying to support and I feel like I gave myself up for it, I don’t think it necessarily will stay like this but I’m in a pit and hurt over the whole thing.

Last edited:
I was with my partner for 9 years before getting married - when I was younger I always thought about marriage in terms of having a wedding and was really looking forward to it, but now that I’m older and married, it didn’t really change anything about my life, so I don’t feel as strongly about it now lol. I absolutely loved my wedding and am happy to be married, but it didn’t change anything about my relationship so people definitely don’t have to get married to be in committed, loving relationships! (obviously)

Is it bad to say that I myself is confident enough to say that I don’t want to get married?

But if I do get married, I myself don’t want to have kids, my confidence in raising kids isn’t my strongest priority so I’m afraid of messing up on both the easy and hard parts of parenthood.

Thinking about my future is intimidating since I never planned on what to do in life, I have been in an interest in designing games, yet I’m not so good at drawing or coming up with ideas for levels of such.

I’m sure it’ll work out eventually. Or not…

And yes, I’m aware you don’t have to have kids if you’re married, but finding the right woman who doesn’t want kids as much as I don’t while having almost the same interests as me is about as playing the lottery.

I do not want to get married. I am against marriage in general and do not think anyone should get married. You can be exclusive without getting the government involved. I never know what to say to people that get married since I'm not for it, so I just congratulate them... but even that doesn't seem sincere most of the time.

I’m lucky in life but unlucky in love. Ship has sailed so I am a single pringle forever at this stage. Just the way life works out.

At some point I'd like to get married! Although it's still years away for me given that I haven't even dated another person, let alone been in a relationship, lol.

Someday, unless I stay with the partner I have now. I say this because people on SSI (social security/disability) lose all of their benefits once married if their partner makes over a certain dollar figure. It's a horrifically archaic school of thought and only exists to hurt our disabled citizens even more than they already do.

Otherwise, if for some reason I'm NOT with my partner, yes I'd like to get married. I'm not one for a wedding, just being married.

Considering how much josei manga and manhwa I consume, you would think that it would be a yes, eventually.

However, that is not the truth. I have never experienced a crush despite turning 30. Marriage isn’t going to happen for me. Having said that, I do have another grievance against marriages in general.

Most people don’t realize that marriage is a legal contract. You don’t sign a contract all willy nilly! They just have love in the brain. Then when it comes down to divorce, they’re flabbergasted at the cost, documents/info required,
and the lengthy process involved. I saw this all the time when I interned at a law firm.

no not really! my parents never married and they've been together 30+ years so i've never felt like it was a necessary step in a relationship. i also wouldn't like to spend money on a ceremony, i'd rather go on holiday or something. i'd get married if i had to for whatever reason (like financial or whatever)

I am AroAce, so I’m 100% sure I don’t wanna get married, or even get into a relationship. I still love weddings though, they’re so heartwarming ❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥
And to whomever is happily married or dating, I’m really happy for you guys 💘💘💘

Back