• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Why Did You Pick Certain Villagers? What About Them Makes You Love Them?

Tangy is the only villager I've actively sought after. She was in my first town in Wild World which was my first Animal Crossing game. I was maybe 7 or 8, and it was one of my favorite games to play. So I just grew really attached to her. I loved the peppy personality, and so she quickly became my favorite. I then found her by chance in City Folk, and in New Leaf I traded for her on the forum. Now I have her amiibo so I was able to invite her to my island. So basically she's just been in all of my towns. It's kind of a tradition as she's just grown on me since I was very young. I don't think there's another villager that I usually try to find. Instead, I love just getting villagers I've never had before to hopefully develop new favorites. :)

1. Diva - She was my starting Uchi, but I actually picked her as a dreamy in NL so I'll explain why I choose her then- I had a bad experience with uchis (Paula) but wanted to give the personality type a second chance and originally chose Diva because she was a frog and I thought that would at least make me tolerate her. I also liked her funky design and Egyptian motif she had going on in her house. Thankfully I did end up loving her and was super excited to have her again in NH!
  2. Tom - He was one of my original villages in NL and we became special friends. I had never played AC before and his personality type was very endearing to me. He will always have a special place in my heart and I just can't imagine playing Animal Crossing without him so I knew I needed to find him again in NH.
  3. Ankha - I love her ancient Egyptian theme so much and knew I wanted her in my town the moment I saw her! I also had her in NL (she's the last repeat lol!)
  4. Judy - She was kind of an accidental dreamy. I came across her while island hopping and decided to invite her with the intention of giving her away to someone, but then she really just grew on me and now she is here to stay lol. She is not my aesthetic at all, and I didn't even think she was cute at first lol, but now I love her! I think her dreamy voice is really what started drawing me in.
  5. Flora - She was one of my dreamies in NL that I never got, so when I saw her island hopping I instantly invited her to my island. I was originally drawn to her because of her uniqueness (being a flamingo) and also because she goes with my tropical island theme.
  6. Sylvana - I also choose Sylvana because of her unique design. She reminds me of a flying squirrel (idk if this is actually what she is suppose to be), and also reminds me of one of my baby cousins irl haha.
  7. Snake - He was another dreamy I had in NL that I didn't have room for so I was super happy to get him in NH. I think Snake is soooo funny and cute. He gives off mischievous little bro energy which is just really funny to me.
  8. Huck - I was drawn to Huck because of his cute and funny face and the fact that he is a frog. I also didn't like smug villagers in NL, so I again wanted to go with someone really cute to give the personality type a second chance.
  9. Sly - I love him so much he is so cool and cute!! He has the play hobby which makes him seem very childish and cute despite the fact that he is a jock and an alligator. I also really love his eyes!
  10. Chester - I love pandas and Chester has a really cute face. Plus his teethies are very unique.

Oh boy, time to do this again :)

Raddle - I didn't know I was supposed to invite animals from islands for the first three plots and kinda had no time to really think about who I wanted, so I invited him because he looked nice and I wanted a frog villager and lazy frogs worked out really well for me in New Leaf. Despite all the bug talk (which is why I'm perfectly fine with being unable to change his starter house lol) he grew on me more than I expected. One of my favorite villagers so far.

Peanut - Back in NL when I already had all my dreamies, I came across her in the campsite and despite hating squirrel villagers at the time, I liked her. When she was the first peppy I found on the islands, I invited her right away, and other than maybe Bunnie there's no peppy I would want more than her. Also has the starter house because the real one isn't worth ditching my friendship progress and it fits the seaside village aesthetic a little better anyway.

Nan - Third starter islander, I was running out of time and just wanted someone kinda okay. Turns out I IMMEDIATELY got attached to her, and when I found out about starter and full interiors, I was glad I had her card to reinvite her, but kicking her out was painful. Worst three days of ACNH so far, but now she has that fully black house I want for my forest (that doesn't quite work out the way I wanted it to, but whatever xD)

Alice - So I'm roleplaying on Tumblr, and one time the topic of AC villagers matching our characters came up, which lead to me giving her extra attention in Pocket Camp, which THEN led to me being 1000% sure I need this dorky koala in the next main game. She and Nan are pretty much the same but with the character association, I love Alice way more. Invited her the second I got free access to the campsite.

Bree - I was in the mood for a mystery villager and didn't want to be too picky, so I decided I would the take the first one with a personality I didn't have yet that I didn't actively dislike, and that was Bree. She was up for being switched out, but when I looked at villager lists, the only one I didn't already have in previous games that I could see me picking over her was Olivia, and I don't want repeat species. I actually appreciate that she isn't too rude and never really sounded like a snooty except for the one time I somehow didn't talk to her for a while and she was rightfully upset.

Now for the ones I don't have yet:

Eugene - THIS GUY. That's the one my friend came up with as the matching villager for their character, and since they're friends I couldn't have Alice without Eugene. The one repeat species that was planned from the start. His house exterior is also great for the other town I have planned. The interior, not so much. xD

Fuchsia - The matching villager for my characters OTHER best friend I came up with, because I needed the full trio and another house for the seaside village and I really don't like too many sisterly villages. Everything worked out fine here.

Raymond - I don't even like Raymond himself THAT much, but my roleplaying character (the real one, not Alice) needs IT employees and his house looks almost the same as Eugene's so I can use it for the town. Smugs are my favorite villagers too, they already were in NL, but with most personalities in NH kinda lacking, this was the only one I really wanted more of. Plus he's one of the rare subtype B smugs too for a little variety.

Avery - Crankies were difficult. I even considered not having one this time becaused they ruined the "get off my lawn" attitude I loved so much in NL. But I wanted to give them one last chance if I could find one that made sense to have on my island. Then I thought about how they just seemed very confused and out of place, and came up with this idea of my cranky being something other than a normal villager. It came down to Octavian (literal alien) or Avery (ancient deity) and since Octavian's interior was a little too jarring and I wanted Genji at the time who also has an asian exterior, I picked Avery.

Sterling - Okay, Genji was already in my NL town and I loved him SO MUCH unlike the jocks in this game I didn't want to ruin my memory of him. Someone brought up Sterling in a thread on another forum, and I realized he'd be the perfect town guard with his outfit and dungeon house and everything. He's unfortunately the only non-Raymond villager I can't invite with a card, and I need him to be original, so I'm hoping I'll find him when island hopping one day. Also repeat eagle but hey. It's hard to find jocks that don't make me uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Of my top current villagers:

Bianca - I love her quirky personality and she always makes me laugh, and cheers me up a lot. I just really enjoy chatting to her.
Tad- I love frogs both in game and real life. I've recently been trying to get fit as well, so a sporty frog does meet my interests.
Tucker - I love how lazy he is, and how he chats about the bugs in his house. I love the historical elements of his house as I also love history, and again, he always cheers me up no matter how I'm feeling.
Goldie - a normal personality, so less quirky than the others but I like having someone normal around town where we can chat about normal things.

I would love Lily - again a cute normal frog but I haven't seen her yet, but Pancetti is leaving my town today so who knows who I will get next.

I still have most of my original villagers from the start of the game. My reasoning for keeping them is just because I came to like them/get attached easily to starters 😅

Scoot: He was in my New Leaf town Tinytree which I revamped into a tropical themed island right before NH's release to hype me up for it! Because I finished my town only a couple weeks before the game came out, I wasn't able to enjoy Scoot's company for long (he was the last villager I scanned in with amiibo). So when he showed up as a starter on one of my map choices, it felt like he was coming over to hang out with me more haha.
Ursala: An uchi villager I've never seen/noticed before this game! She's just a big loveable bear and one of my favourite uchis now.
Jambette: I was curious about her because of the typical Jambette hate/memes I usually see. She was the first ever villager I came across on the mystery islands. I invited her and now she's my favourite normal! (I honestly thought she was a snooty at first)
Tabby & Erik: They were randomly given to me during tutorial phase when I completed their plots and then forgot to island hop. Best mistake ever! They are the cutest. Tabby is the best cat.
Freya: A random snooty I decided to invite to fill the personality slot. Not a huge fan of pink villagers but she's just such a pretty looking wolf!
Hamphrey: Probably my new favourite cranky. Also found him on a mystery island early on. He was so short that I didn't realise there was anyone on the island until I did a full run around. He has the funniest facial reactions.
Dizzy: My favourite villager of all time and my buddy throughout all my games so far, so he had to be invited!
Cyd: My favourite out of the new villagers. He just has such a good design. He feels like a big bro to Dizzy!
Ken: Imo the best looking Smug out there because I don't think there's a lot of good smugs. He's also in my bird town in New Leaf!

Ok so if I were to change villager around, which I'm not sure I would right now, I've picked these villagers. The top reason is that I have their amiibos and I like their houses lol:

Hornsby: I've always thought he was cute (he looks like a rhino version of Dizzy) and he has a nice looking house that might look good in an area I'm developing.
Spike: Just a cool lookin' dude. His house would also look good next to Cyd's, who is the only villager with that house style in my island at the moment.

Audie - I luv foxes and knew I wanted her right away, also has that beach babe vibe

Chief - mentioned elsewhere why I liked Audie and someone said chief was even closer to being a fox, on top of that filling the cranky spot I needed cinched him becoming one of my permanent islanders

Whitney - ran into on and island and thought she would be cute enough to fill a spot on my island, but since then she has become my favorite villager so no longer considering replacing her

Skye - wanted more wolves and she looked cute, even more important her hobby was music so she could replace Fuchsia putting on spontaneous concerts for my villagers

Julia - luved her coloration so gave her a try, now its adorable seeing her studying everything on my island so she is sticking around

Phoebe - I like mythology so seeing the pheonix in this game was cool, especially as she got the magma room work

Reneigh - luv how she does the naruto run often and is just generally nice, just need to fix her house, she took my arcade machine which wouldnt be so bad if she hadnt placed it facing the wall

Caroline - Just got her, she looked cute and i wanted to try out a squirrel and their big bushy tail. her house was also neat looking

Fauna - showed up in my campsite and she seemed cute so I took her in

Beau - needed a lazy to finish off my emotions so let him come, like how he looks with his eyes wide open, too bad they usually aren't. also has a really annoying tune playing in his house. So probably will let him go if I find someone else I want more

Here's mine for Coral Key. I'm still working on island #2!

Merengue: She was a random starter move-in! I was ecstatic because I wanted to bring her to my island anyway! I just love how her design is based off of strawberry shortcake/baking. She's so cute and her personality is the best. We're island BFFs!
Dom: I experienced him at a friend's island and really loved him. I loved his design but it didn't hurt that I needed a jock either! I really worked for a long time to bring him home.
Marina: I stumbled across her at a mystery island after like 30 tickets and thought she was cute so I brought her home!
Judy: I knew as soon as I saw her design she'd match my island aesthetic so well. I ended up shelling out some NMTs for her a few months ago. She's never leaving!
Raymond: I was so on the fence about him honestly. I ran across him on a NMT island and I asked my friends what I should do. They joked I should sell him for RLC online so I took him kind of as a joke with the intention to give him away for free to someone who wanted him. I ended up falling in love with his savage personality so he's here to stay!
Cookie: Bones just left me and I really wanted another dog. I ended up having to decide between Cookie and Daisy but ultimately went with Cookie because she matched my island better. She hasn't been with me for long yet!
Bluebear: I've been on the fence with Bluebear, sometimes I think she's super cute and other times I'm not sure. I was drawn to her because of her color and I needed her personality for reactions! She was another NMT island pick!
Sherb: Sherb is another mystery island success. I took him immediately after I found him. Initially I thought I'd sell him too but it feels like selling a child and I just can't do it to my little guy!
Vladimir: I needed a cranky and my friends were joking about Vlad and I found him on a NMT island and took him as a joke. Jokes on me, he's awesome and not leaving anytime soon lol.
Apple: I had Apple's amiibo because she had been my camp caretaker on PC and I wanted her in NH too! Not sure if long term she'll be staying on my island, though!

They're the ones I had in my New Leaf town. So they grew on me and I wanted them back.

We share the same sentiment! I have Felicity, Pekoe, and Skye as my previous villagers in New Leaf.

Felicity is always my favourite due to her cute design! I like her smile and chestnut hair.

Apple- had her in my NL town, plus, she's adorable.
Pheobe- I think is one of the best sisterlies out there, and the Pheonix idea is just brilliant.
Octavian- There's something about his red that soothes me, also his house(exterior) matches my island theme.
Drago- This is one of the most unique villagers, in my opinion. I really love his frills and horns. also, his house exterior also matches, like Octavian's.
Molly- Need I say more? The duck model is already cute, but her simple yet adorable face made me fall in love when I met her on an island. her starting clothes, a light green blouse, is so cute, I genuinely don't want to give her clothing.
Pecan- Didn't care for her at all, but I was trying to find a snooty. she showed up at my campsite one day, and I made a deal to myself. if she chose one of the villagers I wanted to move away, I would keep her. she did, and now she's a permanent resident.
Marshal- Didn't know I wanted him until I found him on a mystery island-TWICE. I was hunting for Merengue, but I was low on tickets, and he seemed like a steal anyway. wasn't sure if I was gonna keep him or not, but after one look at his house, both the inside and out, I knew it was meant to be.
The other three aren't staying long, those are Tammy, Olaf, and Wendy, so I don't really have a connection.

Back