• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

which game would you rather see next?

which of these two would you rather see come first?

• Super Mario Galaxy 3

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
White Rose
White Rose
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
I've seen some rumors floating around about a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey being released sometime soon (I personally won't believe it until I hear an official announcement) but to be honest? I would much rather see Galaxy 3 be announced.

I know that the sequel to the original Galaxy was not very unique in comparison to its predecessor, in fact it copied a lot of things like level names/designs and did some things worse like the hub world. but I've played both games now and they're each amazing in their own way. Galaxy 2 is actually still my second favorite game in the series behind SM64. I would love to see one last game in the series, mostly because I would just love to see a new Galaxy game built upon what the previous games introduced, but also so that we can start calling the series "The Super Mario Galaxy Trilogy" which is a totally badass name (y)

which game would you guys rather see next and why?

I played the original Super Mario Galaxy. I couldn’t really get into it. With that being said, I haven’t played Super Mario Oddysey, but I’ve heard about it. I’d be more interested in a sequel to that. I might not play it, but it would be more intriguing to me.

depends on the camera for galaxy. i played the second one on the wii, and i don't remember the camera being too bad, but when i put in my sister's copy of all stars, the camera in the first mario galaxy made me motion sick in under a minute. if it was fixed, i'd rather see galaxy because i like playing actual levels, and it would be a good chance to bring rosalina back for a bit. i completed odyssey, but it's my least favorite mario game (or one of) solely because i don't care for the whole sandbox worlds thing. i didn't feel accomplished completing anything, and i never felt like i had a real set goal etc. really wasn't my cup of tea. it's the same reason i never bothered playing bowser's fury in the end. i expected it to be a world or two like the game it's actually DLC to, but instead it was just glorified odyssey DLC and that sucked imo.

I played both Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey and honestly I liked Odyssey better than Galaxy. I just didn't like the motion controls that Galaxy forced on you. I wished there was a buttons option instead of everything having to be motion control. Anyways I really hope they do continue with Super Mario Odyssey 2. It had so much clever ideas and I feel like they could expand on it in the sequel.

Short answer: I'd rather they make a new 3D Super Mario game than make a sequel of either of those titles.

Long answer: I played and completed 100% both the Super Mario Galaxy titles as well as Super Mario Odyssey. The former probably belongs in one of my top 5 games of all time (especially the original SMG). The story is good for a Mario game, and yeah, literally I got engaged to know more about Rosalina and the Luma. Also felt like Bowser had this aura of a meaner and bada*** antagonist compared to other titles. It probably helped that it got an amazing soundtrack. I haven't talked about the gameplay. Yes, I play Mario because of creative gameplay and tight platforming. SMG just gave me that excitement from start to finish. Having said that, I'm not sure if I'd be excited for a third game. I'm pretty sure, one of the factors that made it fun was the motion controls. It felt right at home with SMG. I'm not sure if I wanted another Mario game with motion controls lol. I'm not sure if it would be fun with traditional controls (lol I know there's 3D All-Stars. But I want to play a proper remake not a rehash). So yeah. In the end, I love Super Mario Galaxy but unless Nintendo magically makes the third game innovative and fun, then I guess right now, I'm indifferent about having another sequel.

As for the latter (Super Mario Odyssey), well, the game was ton of fun. BUT. I feel like it is overrated. Don't get me wrong. I love exploration in my games. It's just that SMO wasn't that exciting for me? SMG had those gravity-defying levels and here, it's just plain levels. I mean, I like going through and exploring them but they're just not exciting to play? They didn't surprise me at all. The overall presentation was just good for Mario game, nothing extraordinary. Also, the moon collecting got tiring at the end. Some were just there like a "gimme". There were moments of tight platforming but I felt like they were lacking? All in all, I like SMO but it wasn't memorable for me. Mario+Rabbids was far more fresh, to be honest. Psychonauts 2 is my favorite adventure/platformer this gen. It is rare for platformers to have engaging story, great OST, and innovative gameplay and Psychonauts has all that. I also think that I'm liking Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart more than SMO. Sure, it's mostly more of the same Ratchet (still a lot of fun though) but it has that beautiful HDR graphics and sense of scale going for it, and really awesome use of DualSense controller. So, to answer the question. I'd rather have Nintendo do something drastic, innovative and fresh on their Mario franchise than milk SMO.

I'm happy with each iteration or "generation" of 3D Mario games being left behind with the hardware it originally released from, ports and remasters being an exception if only for future accessibility.

As much as I would have liked Sunshine 2 or Galaxy 3, would I have prefered those over having Odyssey or whatever they'll release next? Currently no.

Honestly, neither. Both "series" are rather gimmick-y and unless they can adapt both better to Switch I'd rather see Sunshine or a more classic 2D platformer.

I like Galaxy better in my opinion! I loved the space theme and thought it was pretty! I still need to finish the game sometime.... When I was little the octopus scared me and it took my 3 years to come back and try to finish it! I LOVE galaxy! So much fun! :D Odyssey didn't really do it for me? I never even got past the second world area? It was kinda boring in my opinion but I know everyone loved it so thats great! :) All different opinions!

I enjoyed the first Galaxy, but I'd rather see another Mario game without the planet gimmick.

Personally, whatever makes other people happy. I don't care for 3d platformers, but I absolutely love 2d or narrow platformers.

I'd prefer Odyssey 2 over Galaxy 3, as while Odyssey, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are all very good games, I enjoyed Odyssey the most out of those 3 and I feel there's still a lot that can be done with it in a potential sequel.

As much as I love the Galaxy games, I feel like Nintendo has already done everything they could with the planet gimmick. Another Galaxy game would just feel like more of the same. Odyssey 2 would honestly have more potential. Cappy’s abilities could be expanded on by having more types of enemies to capture. If such a game ever happens I just hope Nintendo would cut the number of moons down. Odyssey felt a bit bloated in that department.

I just played Mario Galaxy on 3D-All-Star late last year and the motion, controls, and camera made the game annoying to play. I don't remember it being bad back when I played it on the Wii, but I also didn't have Odyssey's improvements to base it off of. If they could utilize those same improvements for a Galaxy 3, I wouldn't mind either game. I enjoyed both games.

But Odyssey had a lot more worlds to work with whereas Galaxy was all about space. So there wasn't as much variety.

Personally I liked odyssey better than galaxy, but I won’t say no to either!

I don't ever want to see the Galaxy series ever again. The "open" style of the worlds in SM64, Sunshine, and Odyssey are what set the 3D Mario series so far apart from the 2D series.

So Odyssey 2, or a new concept in the same style as Odyssey, 64 and Sunshine.

I have pretty bad motion sickness, so I was never able to play Galaxy because of the camera angles. I'd definitely prefer Odyssey 2 because it's a little easier on my eyes...and my head. That, and Rosalina's in pretty much every Mario game imaginable, so there's not a lot thst sets Galaxy apart from other Mario games. Odyssey was a breath of fresh air for the Mario series and I'd love to see a continuation.

Back