• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Other switch game recommendations

Yanrima~

History-loving Princess
Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Hi, I would like some switch game recommendations to try out games made by other developers besides Nintendo to expand the game library. The only games from other developers I liked so far are Cuphead and Stardew Valley so I'm super picky with the replay value, gameplay quality, and the art style of the games. And the reviews for certain games can be polarizing at best. In short, I pretty much just needed your suggestions to which game I should try.

EDIT: I would like to add action, platformer, or RPG game options since I was looking to expanding my Switch game choices in general.

Thank you! (y)

Last edited:
maybe you’d like when the past was around? it’s a pretty chill puzzle game with a nice art style. so far i’ve only played the demo but it seems good ^^

What about Paleo Pines? Is a farming sim with dinosaurs in it. Tthere's also stuff like Lil Gator Game (sandbox action and exploration), Flutter Away (exploration and taking photos), Alba: A Wildlife Adventure (adventure, exploration), Time on Frog Island (platformer, exploration, puzzle), Cave Story (metroidvania), Abzu (puzzle, exploration) or Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (beat em up, farming sim, adventure with some rpg elements).

PS: I haven't played these games myself but they're on my wishlist and I've seen gameplay, they look cool

Looked through my library for games that were available on the Switch

🤍 Cozy Grove : Animal Crossing-like game but deals with restoring your island and talking to ghosts. Just like AC, there’s different seasons and collecting aspects.

💙 Melatonin : Rhythm game with a lo-fi aesthetic. All original music and challenging if you like to get 100% on songs. Other than that, the music was an absolute vibe to me.

🤍 Unpacking : Super relaxing puzzle game. It’s honestly short-lived if you like zooming through puzzles really quickly. However, it really is relaxing placing things so neatly in a room.

💙 Dredge : Lovecraftian fishing game. One of my favorites to play. Fishing is so relaxing when you’re not getting chased by leviathan fish or aggressive crows.

💙 Ori 🤍 Hollow Knight
These two games have absolutely amazing artwork. If you like challenging platformers/action roguelikes, then these two are pretty high up on my list.

💙 Ori 🤍 Hollow Knight
These two games have absolutely amazing artwork. If you like challenging platformers/action roguelikes, then these two are pretty high up on my list.
Ori looks pretty good, I would like to try that sometime!
(I really need to reinstall Hollow Knight, I remember downloading and playing a bit of it on the Switch and I basically suck at the game so I'm giving it a second chance! 😂)

I really liked A Hat in Time and Bug Fables.
A Hat in Time is a 3D platformer and Bug Fables is an RPG that looks and plays like the first two Paper Mario games.

Do you like newer games or older games? Asking because it’s rather difficult to recommend a new RPG haha a lot of them have been very polarising lately
Post automatically merged:

Do you like newer games or older games? Asking because it’s rather difficult to recommend a new RPG haha a lot of them have been very polarising lately
also seconding Sakuna ORAR for looking absurdly cool every time I open PlayStation plus

I could stick to old RPG games or RPGMaker games on the PC but yeah, I'm fine with any RPG game recommendations.

The only RPG games I like so far are Shin Megami Tensei and some Fire Emblem entries (especially Three Houses). Other RPG's are pretty hard to get in to.

The Shantae series are extremely fun platformers with really witty dialogue. There are tons of fourth wall breaks

Ah I loved FE Engage.

My favourite RPG of all time is a tie between Undertale, Kingdom Hearts (sadly not in a playable state on the switch), and the 1997 Final Fantasy VII.
As for ones on the switch, I’ve heard good things about Harvestella which is half square enix style RPG and half farming sim. I also really love the Cattails series, which is like Stardew valley meets Warrior Cats.
If you like SMT I could recommend Persona, but I would rather chew off my own arm than do that
Octopath Traveller is great! Live A Live is a classic as is The World Ends With You (although it was better on the DS tbh) and its sequel. Im not sure if they ever ported Chrono Trigger to switch. The classic final fantasies are all accounted for as are the golden-age ones (6, 7, 8, 9, 10). I loved Dragon Quest Builders 2 also.
More: Deltarune, Dragon Quest 11, Collection of Mana I’ve heard is good, Bravely Default I’ve heard is good…
Also, while not RPGs, Ghost Trick seems good and Ace Attorney is a classic. I believe AA is on the switch
I could go on all day haha
And I second Shantae!

Last edited:
Would you be interested in dabbling in RTS in addition to traditional RPGs?

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is a crossbreed between RTS battles & a point-and-click type story adventure. There's lots of playable characters, and the artstyle is absolutely gorgeous. If you liked Persona/SMT in terms of its story and characters, I think you may like this.

They also have an upcoming game, Unicorn Overlord, that's supposed to release in March 2024 that's more akin to something like Fire Emblem.

I also want to recommend Cult of the Lamb because I think you'd get a genuine kick out of it. The art may or may not be your thing, but it's a unique base management game combined with dungeon crawling & hack-and-slash type combat. There are some more relaxed encounters like fishing and interacting with your followers at base, too.

If you're looking for a more traditional RPG, I'd try giving Ni No Kuni a go. It's a beautiful Ghibli-styled RPG that is beyond charming.

Cassette Beasts is an RPG turn by turn monster battling game. You have the option to play as multiple characters. Really great game I love and highly recommend and it has dlc. I turn off the music lyrics in the options menu.

The Messenger I loved. It is a platformer and collect a thon and even has some dlc too if you want more after you finish. I 100% finished the main game and the dlc I only missed two items to collect. I can't remember if it had difficulty settings. I normally play normal setting.

Sea of Stars is out and has a free demo. I want to play that game but I haven't yet. It is an RPG turn by turn.

I have interest in Prince of Persia The Lost Crown but it doesn't release until January but maybe you like what you see there too and have gift money to use.

Gato Roboto is a small metroidvania game that I found fun and cute. Replay value is only if you really liked the game and want to play again which some people like doing with small cheap games on weekends. Can't remember if it has difficulty settings.

Hollow Knight has a lot to play through and even some replay value if you like battles. But even if you don't care for the battle colosseum, it takes a long time to get through the game because the map is huge and has lots of exploration. It has difficulty settings. Bosses do get tough.

I enjoyed Iconoclasts but many people felt the story was too weird for them. It is a platformer with some puzzling and heavy story. It does have the option to replay with your character already upgraded after playing through the first time, i think. It also has difficulty settings. Bosses do get tough.

If you're still looking for recommendations, and if you liked Stardew Valley, Roots of Pacha is like Stardew Valley in prehistoric times, and it's very good. And they're working on adding more content to it, too--Kickstarter stretchgoal stuff--though it's already a very complete experience as it is.

I enjoyed Sonic Mania, for a platformer suggestion. It's very deliberately retro Sega style.

I'm not sure if it counts as an action game, but I really liked Katamari Damacy Reroll, too.

And I don't even know what genre it is, but Death Road to Canada is also a game that I liked.

Back