• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is your favorite/least island theme in animal crossing?

i honestly like most themes, but i think my favourites have to be horror, kidcore, fairycore, natural or anything colourful aha. i like cottagecore quite a bit as well, though i definitely agree that a lot of islands with that theme are practically impossible to navigate through.

as for least favourites, trashcore and zen themes have never really appealed to me much tbh. don’t get me wrong; there’s absolutely nothing wrong with those themes and i’ve seen plenty of amazing islands that have them, they’re just not really my cup of tea. 😅 i feel so bad for saying this hhng.

My favourite themed islands usually do have bits of Cottagecore in them. I really like autumnal islands too with big farms and markets. Most islands you see online are definitely inspired from each other but I believe that’s the beauty of the community because some ideas are so unique and using items in a specific way - it’s like how did you come up with that! I never would have thought to use that item in that way.

Although everyones islands mean something special to them combined with hundreds of hours, I guess my least favourite themes are zen and tropical islands. Purely because I dislike the summer grass and the hibiscus bushes. Zen islands inspired by big cities tend to be a bit too cluttered and difficult to navigate but how they make buildings out of simple items is amazing!

I really don't care for themes if I'm being honest. I just make whatever stands out to me. I usually like a town or small park theme if I had to pick one but I am just being real here.

I don't really much care about the theme for my island, I just make whatever stands out to me. I don't take designing too seriously. I usually just make an island based on a small park or towns that I usually visit in real life and sometimes I may make something that is not related to the theme I started out with, but I didn't care all that much. It was from my imagination and I didn't let other islands bother me all that much. My point is you should make whatever stands out to you and never compare yourself with others.

I don’t like city themed islands, disney themed islands, or zen themed islands.

And when I say i don’t like it just means i have no interest in doing that but have seen some beautiful islands that use those themes. I just cant imagine doing it myself.

I don’t get how people can have such strong opinions about islands that aren’t their own. Who cares if it’s cottagecore and your cottagecore looks like everybody else’s cottagecore island. Do what makes YOU happy.

Last edited:
Is cottagecore the one where people would put a toilet on a 'tiny island' ?
I have yet to visit a cottagecore island that’s done that. This sounds like cluttercore/trashcore, but I could be wrong. XD

Honestly, anyone who has a cohesive theme is super impressive to me! I don't have any that I think are the most favorite, but I do think cottage is a bit overdone right now.

idk if i have an absolute favorite. i'm doing a farm island on my second switch right now, so i enjoy that.

least favorite is probably kidcore because it looks so cluttered to me.

I don't really have a standout theme that I swoon over but I might lean towards jungle-esque and countryside city islands (not cottagecore).

Mostly because it's a lot of stuff but not in a cluttered manner. It's more like them trying to build their story and transform the environment.

As for least favorite, it's not themes for me but similar to someone else said here; the execution. Which is a subjective thing to say. I find myself frustrated if the island doesn't transition well to its different areas. I don't want to feel trapped or restricted, lol.

I don’t really pay attention to themes. Ny favorite would probably be a resort theme. I saw some really nice resort towns on New Leaf. My favorite town had a sauna, a hotel, and the paths they had were beautiful. They had towel wraps and everything. There’s most likely a video of it somewhere on YouTube, but I don’t recall the name.

My least favorite theme is probably one that gets overused. I see a lot of cottagecore and urban theme towns. They can be decent if they are unique, but most are the same. They use the same “the path” and have pretty much the same layout. It’s just boring and the self-expression is severely lacking. Cottagecore are carbon copies of one another.

I don’t like city themed islands, disney themed islands, or zen themed islands.

And when I say i don’t like it just means i have no interest in doing that but have seen some beautiful islands that use those themes. I just cant imagine doing it myself.

I don’t get how people can have such strong opinions about islands that aren’t their own. Who cares if it’s cottagecore and your cottagecore looks like everybody else’s cottagecore island. Do what makes YOU happy.
Same, i cant imagine doing kidcore myself, like it will torture my design slots with custom designs lol

Same, i cant imagine doing kidcore myself, like it will torture my design slots with custom designs lol
I LOVE the bright colors thoughhhh!! ugh it's so cute, but yeah A LOT of design slots. Have you seen soft kidcore? It's totally CUTE and adorable and wouldn't take that many slots but the colors are a lot more muted and fall like. It's totally worth checking out though

I don't really have a standout theme that I swoon over but I might lean towards jungle-esque and countryside city islands (not cottagecore).

Mostly because it's a lot of stuff but not in a cluttered manner. It's more like them trying to build their story and transform the environment.

As for least favorite, it's not themes for me but similar to someone else said here; the execution. Which is a subjective thing to say. I find myself frustrated if the island doesn't transition well to its different areas. I don't want to feel trapped or restricted, lol.
You know what, that’s a GREAT point. I’ve been to islands that feel kind of disjointed due to clutter, different themes clashing, odd choices in color and QR codes, etc. And yeah, it’s definitely a subjective thing. I doubt everyone who visits my island will love it 100%, but there are others who likely do, so you never know.

I think some of the best islands are ones that can combine tasteful/simple clutter, open paths to move between, cohesive themes/colors, and an ability to still interact (at least to an extent) with game features (fishing, bug catching, neighbors, npcs, etc.)
Post automatically merged:

I LOVE the bright colors thoughhhh!! ugh it's so cute, but yeah A LOT of design slots. Have you seen soft kidcore? It's totally CUTE and adorable and wouldn't take that many slots but the colors are a lot more muted and fall like. It's totally worth checking out though
I lowkey really love brighter colors and kidcore too. What DAs do you recommend? I don’t see it enough personally. Maybe a couple of DAs I’ve visited, but not my favorites. :/

I guess this isn’t necessarily a theme but I don’t like really cluttered islands with unclear paths - they look great in photos, but when I visit in a dream I wander around for a few minutes getting stuck on things and experiencing massive frame rate drops before just giving up and leaving. I appreciate the really cool perspective designs people do and the lack of clear-cut pathing for aesthetic purposes, but I couldn’t imagine actually trying to play the game on an island like that. Gives me a headache

As for islands I like, I do really like forest-y cottagecore vibes, but when they are navigable and clean enough to run around without getting stuck somewhere that is off the intended path the creator had in mind.

i will try and check it out! seems really cute and i love muted colors 🤭

My least favorite is a belief, by some, that there is the need for one’s island to have a theme. (There is not.) I think the best one can do for creating, building, and establishing one’s island is to truly make it one’s island. (That is what is most needed.)

My least favourites are Cottagecore and Urbancore (? I don't understand the core word thing that's been popping up).
For cottagecore, it's because instead of being this cozy little forest home, it's usually too cluttered and feels so incredibly unnatural. I can't walk around them because of the lag/clutter and it ruins any feeling of coziness. I agree that they also feel very samey.
Urbancore is the other one I don't like. I live in an urban area, and I hate it. I don't want to be reminded of that when I play a game like this.
It's nothing personal if you have either of these themes of course! They're just not my cup of tea.

In terms of favourites, it's gotta be medieval. I don't see these very often, perhaps since the game is lacking a lot of items that would be perfect for this theme (gimme my knight and my beloved Rococo furniture back, Nintendo!).
I also love enchanted forests (which is similar to cottagecore I guess, but I find there's usually a difference), and spooky forests.

Back