• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

what is your (current) passion or hyperfixation?

Mythology, super powers, witchcraft and the supernatural in general. I currently have a Tumblr page that I've turned into an online grimoire documenting these subjects for others to use as a reference in their own creativity. So far it's been a lot of fun.

For me it's this webcomic called Sparklecare. I don't know if you've heard of it; it's pretty obscure. A friend of mine from offsite was a fan of it, so I decided to investigate it. Now I'm hooked on it.
I also have (somewhat less major) hyperfixations on Creepypastas and the late 2000s/early 2010s (consider the release of ACWW and ACNL to be reasonable boundaries).

My biggest passions/hyperfixations are currently travel and Buizel. While I still can't travel nearly as much as I would like, I am grateful for being able to travel as much as I have been lately, from my long vacations with months or even years of planning (such as my rail vacations over the last couple years, or my eclipse trip next year which is 19+ years in the making), to spontaneous trips like my trip to Boston and Washington, DC last month or my upcoming birthday trip to Denver next month. If I no longer had to worry about money anymore, I would probably spend most of my days travelling anywhere and everywhere (within reason, anyway!). And Buizel, well, I think that goes without saying at this point. He has been a hyperfixation of mine for over two years now and it has shown no signs of stopping. I could easily spend hours talking about Buizel and how awesome he is if I was given the opportunity!

So I rarely have any "hyperfixations" but I definitely had one recently. It was listening to lots of Youtubers watch/review the One Piece live action show. I really wanted to know how people react to it, and get to relive the show "with other people". I think I've done it so much now though that I'm fed up with it at this point. LOL

One I've had my entire life: birds. Guess I would call that one a special interest, since I've been obsessed with birds as long as I can remember. I think my "spark bird" (the first bird that got you into birds initially) was a ruby-throated hummingbird. I used up all the ink in our printer printing out their Wikipedia page, because I wanted to be an ornithologist. That's never really changed; birds are still my favorite creatures to draw and look at. Have gone through phases of "favorite" birds (though they're all wonderful, even the less admired ones): hummingbirds, owls, penguins, and now chickadees.

Long-time hyperfixations that I come back to sometimes are: Hollow Knight, Celeste, and Hatoful Boyfriend. Academically, always been a fan of biology.

Lately, I've been really into chess and watching chess videos, which is ??? LOL. We had a chess tournament at my workplace, which started it all. But man, I am REALLY bad at chess. It's addicting, though.

I think my current ones are history, geography, and learning Spanish! I like watching videos about various historical topics and various countries, and I have a lot of fun learning Spanish! I've been watching a lot of Dreaming Spanish videos on YouTube. I finished the superbeginner playlist a few months ago, and I'm almost done with the beginner playlist! I've also been mixing in videos from the intermediate playlist

Currently, it’s the Dr. Zebra website about the health and medical records of every American president.

Well, you can take this how you want it, but right now, it's this forum.

I've got minor ASD, so I tend to hyper-focus on certain things for extended periods of time, get bored, and move on to something else. It's happened before with hacking old game consoles, movie/TV logos, organizing things in my room or digitally on the computer, and my car. The two things that have lasted well beyond a few months at a time are discovering old rock music and Animal Crossing. After joining TBT, I've met a lot of people that share similar interests and ideas as me, and the reason I keep coming back is because of the friendly atmosphere this place promotes overall. I'm a member on other forums, gaming and otherwise - but those simply don't compare with this one.

Right now, I'm in a lone wolf phase because of my friends in real life sort of forgetting I exist. The fact that some people here are kind enough to take time out of their days to have conversations with me makes me feel good about myself, even if I don't really know them beyond what I see them post. Despite me growing tired of playing New Horizons itself at this point, I really love talking about it, and am always looking forward to what's next.

Currently it's Formula 1, Splatoon, and Pokemon that are my hyperfixations right now!!
Pokemon is my longest running hyperfixation with Dragon Ball being second. Splatoon is my most.. how do you say.. Intense? It started in 2014-2015 when the game was announced and it never left my brain! Really changed me.

Probably astrology and homelessness as a social cause. Those have been my main focuses for the last few years.

Deleted. It might not be a hyperfixation? Idk, never was tested for autism or adhd.

Last edited:
just for peoples' consideration please use your words carefully as "hyperfixation" is specifically an autism/adhd thing and is not synonymous with current hobbies, passions, interests etc. even if you feel like you'd fight for them.

anyway this is probably just my colour psychology brain but i can't stop making literally everything blue. my decorations are blue. my art is blue. my little pixel dragons i dress up are blue. i collect vinyl and 90% of the time i try to get a blue variant. my crops are dying but everything is beautiful.

^ I have OCD and I believe I experience hyperfixations and have since childhood. Just like this disorder causes brain can be obsessed with negative things and repeat them until they’re all we can think about, it makes sense that it would do the something similar things that make us happy. It’s not all positive of course, sometimes it feels too much. But it feels like electricity is running through me, it’s like a drug when it happens.

- Self-shipping, and whoever my F/O is at any given time
- Animal Crossing
- Writing

I have literal hyper fixations, (hyper focus, thank you brain)...so I switch what I'm doing all the time. However! I'm finding methods of organizing, working, planning, etc that make it super easy to jump right back into something after I've been 'otherwise occupied' with something else, or several something elses, for like, a year. Yay!

That being said - current fixation - Danse Macabre, piano piece, Saint-Saëns. I have small hands. It's a difficult piece for me for some reason. Like, really difficult. But I am determined to achieve it! Other pieces come and go, but this is one I want to get perfect. Not just learn - I want to get it perfect. It may take a long, long time....and I will spend hours and hours and hours on it I'm sure...

It's been Bollywood movies for the past year. I have a spreadsheet where I rank all the movies I watch by giving them a score out of 10 in three different categories (1. How good is the writing; 2. Is it entertaining; 3. How good are the songs). I spend so much time writing my reviews on each movie even though I'm the only one who ever looks at the spreadsheet lol.

just for peoples' consideration please use your words carefully as "hyperfixation" is specifically an autism/adhd thing and is not synonymous with current hobbies, passions, interests etc. even if you feel like you'd fight for them.
funny you should mention this, i have AuDHD and only recently learned this is not a normal thing and not a normal term for those without it 😵‍💫

Lately, I would say my latest passion has been native plant gardening and learning about all the different facets of how it helps the ecosystem (an example of this is how certain plants serve as host plants for certain bugs). I also love learning the history of the plants and their uses (what is edible, medicinal properties, etc.). With how modern society is shifting to being more green and with the ongoing climate change, this is definitely the way to go since the plants that already evolved to your area will be far more hardy and require less water typically.

Back