• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What Gold Tool was the hardest for you to get?

VanitasFan26

I'm just a ghost.
Bells
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
I know Gold Tools in this game break and I know its annoying that you cannot customize them to restart your durability, but there is something about them that gives you a challenge that makes you wanna have it. For me I would say the hardest gold tools to get are the Golden Shovel and the Golden Axe. I remember spending a whole month or two trying to look for Gullivar to help find his rusted parts since I know you need to help him 30 times in order to get the Golden Shovel.

Then there was a Golden Axe which man this one can take a lot longer. Basically you have to let your axe break 100 times just to make your character learn the Golden Axe DIY. It can take days or a week to get it. I usually just use nook mile tickets to cut down trees and get materials. It makes it go faster than having to do it on my own island.

What Golden Tool was hard for you to get the first time?

Same for me Golden Shovel and Golden Axe. I only got the Golden Shovel at the end of last month. I still don’t have the Golden Axe. Using nook mile tickets is a great idea might have to try that.

hardest or longest?

the shovel is by far the longest on normal gameplay. which is ironic, considering the early games it was the one you got in like a day or so

hardest though, probably one of either the net, rod, or can. probably leaning towards the net or rod, since you can kinda "cheat" your way to a perfect island for the can

axe is easy, but tedious. just craft and whack away with a bunch of flimsy axes
Post automatically merged:

oh yea, and I guess there's the slingshot too

remember when that spawn was bugged?

Last edited:
hardest or longest?

the shovel is by far the longest on normal gameplay. which is ironic, considering the early games it was the one you got in like a day or so

hardest though, probably one of either the net, rod, or can. probably leaning towards the net or rod, since you can kinda "cheat" your way to a perfect island for the can

axe is easy, but tedious. just craft and whack away with a bunch of flimsy axes
Post automatically merged:

oh yea, and I guess there's the slingshot too

rememebr when that spawn was bugged?
Really the flimsy axe breaking actually counts? All this time I've been using the regular axe

I’ll say the Golden Axe for me. I don’t have many trees on my island and the ones I do have are ones I’d like to keep. I also go to Nook Islands to material hunt, specifically for wood. I’m honestly surprised I didn’t learn the DIY for this yet. I’ve broken several axes just from these material hunts. It’s a lot more tedious than it sounds to get the Golden Axe… but yeah, you can get this in a matter of a few hours if you dedicate yourself to traveling to Nook Islands to chop down trees. You can likely do it in less than twelve islands trips!

Considering how I don't have the shovel/fishing rod yet... those 😅

BUT I haven't really been trying hard, either.

The shovel. I still don't have it although I'm close (I think 2 more gulliver visits?)

i don't talk to gulliver every time i see him

golden axe was actually one of the easiest to get because one day i just.. decided i wanted it and so mass crafted + broke flimsy axes until i got it haha, tedious but easily achievable. slingshot is also easy. i'd say the shovel is probably the hardest to get because it relies a lot on getting gulliver/actually playing on the days you get him and i always seem to forget to actually give the rusted parts back

Really the flimsy axe breaking actually counts? All this time I've been using the regular axe
yea, any broken axe counts towards the golden axe milestone and all count towards the same progression amount

so one flimsy axe breaking is equal to one stone axe breaking is equal to one axe breaking is equal to one golden axe breaking

The shovel. If you need to help Gulliver 30 times, and he shows up every other week, that's 60 weeks. Without time traveling, that makes it the hardest.

Golden Net and Rod can be obtained in less than 12 months.

Golden axe obtained in a day.

Golden Slingshot couple weeks, or 1 day if you play bunny day.

Watering can, pretty much 1 day of you know what you're doing

yea, any broken axe counts towards the golden axe milestone and all count to the same total

so one flimsy axe breaking is equal to one stone axe breaking is equal to one axe breaking is equal to one golden axe breaking
Now I feel so annoyed with myself that I just use the normal axe because in my mind I thought it was you using the normal axe
to get the golden one.

But what doesn't make sense is that how does a flimsy axe count because that's the same tool you used to make the stone hatchet but there is no Golden Stone hatchet. I had no idea what my logic was but thank you for telling me this

The golden axe is the most tedious. Meanwhile, the golden shovel takes the longest to achieve because of Gulliver's schedule.

Still wish these are undestructable.

Last edited:
I still don't have the Golden Axe. It's the only gold tool I don't have right now. It's just so tedious to keep breaking and making lots of axes, especially when you don't even really need wood.

The shovel. And its the hardest if you don't TT. Even though I did TT, Gulliver was still pretty difficult. I found him annoying (still do) and so sometimes I just ignored him so that also contributed why it was the last golden item for me. The axe was easy because all needed to do was to buy a bunch of flimsy axes and uses them to get wood materials. The golden rod and net are easy if you play for a year so most people that started since launch already have them. The water can is the easiest out of all golden items.

Personal Rank (from hardest to easiest)
1. Shovel
2. Rod (tied)
2. Net (tied)
3. Axe
4. Slingshot
5. Watering Can

Still wish these are undestructable.

Don't we all. It really was a disservice to us. Its really painful going through tools when you're low on tools. More of a grind than having fun.

Last edited:
It's just so tedious to keep breaking and making lots of axes, especially when you don't even really need wood.
protip: you can keep whacking at a tree after you get all the wood from it and it'll still count as "hits" to break the axe

it still ends up tedious, but if you don't want to be having to constantly pick up wood, it's a nice "cheat" of sorts

Okay so after spending like 3 hours buying/crafting Flimsy Axes and them breaking like 40 more times I was able to get the Golden Axe DIY. Man I feel like such a fool for using normal axe and I spent 3 days trying to get this. So yeah this is proof that the flimsy axe breaking does count and you can see that I was able to learn the Golden Axe DIY:

I went to a mystery island and now have the last golden tool DIY I needed the Golden Axe.

Back