• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Yay or nay tool durability?

I was fine with right up until finding out golden tools break. Having them be the only unbreakable tools would have greatly increased the incentive to unlock them, but now when I get them I don’t even build them cuz it just feels like a waste of gold nuggets.

While I like the concept of item durability in something like Fire Emblem where the weapons have a set amount of uses before they break and you need to repair or replace them, I'm not so fond of it in Animal Crossing and would prefer that the tools not break in future games.

I agree with Zane's post above mine about thinking it's a fine enough concept up until the golden tools though. I could live with the mechanic sticking around in the future if they made golden tools unbreakable. As it stands currently, golden tools are subpar compared to the normal tools because you can at least customize the normal tools to refresh their uses. Gold is a relatively uncommon resource in New Horizons and it frankly goes to better use for the furniture DIYs that utilize gold. If they end up keeping tool durability in future games and golden tools are still breakable, that will be very disappointing.

I wouldn't mind tools breaking, but only if I had more pocket space so I can carry a backup tool at all times.

I agree with everything said above, especially Golden tools breaking when they shouldn't. The water cans breaking is a joke. I can water my real life plant with a paper cup forever and it never breaks. Why would a metal can break?

Huge nay...while I was cleaning up my disaster of a NL town I realized how much I missed unbreakable tools.

Golden tools should not break. Regular tools should break less often than they do. It ruins the mood when you have to stop what you’re doing to replace a tool

Yes I find it so annoying when they break I wish they wouldn't it always happens when I've got a full inventory and no money on me haha

If there’s one thing everyone on the site seems to be able to agree on, it’s that tool breaking was a bad addition in some way.

Big nay.How come the vaulting pole never breaks but all the other tools do?Why not make the other tools out of the same stuff the vaulting pole is made of?Geez,even the friggin' watering can breaks.I guess we're watering our flowers too aggressively.
Yeah some of the tools don't really make sense. I always picture us trying to use cardboard as a watering can and that's why it falls apart lol.

And that's another thing that popped in my mind when almost all the tools were breaking. I was wondering when the vaulting pole was going to break and I crafted two in case I was stranded on the other side of a river and couldn't get back.

They realized this would be a game breaking mechanic if someone was stranded on one side of a river without any way to get back. So I don't get why they didn't realize their other idea was severely flawed. Sure even if they wanted to keep this whole thing, why did they not even have any indication that a tool had wear and tear? That's literally gaming 101.

Even botw whose entire weapon system was designed to break would tell you on screen 'your rusty spear is about to break' or if you looked at the menu it would be up in smoke and flashing red. Hell even the ax in the previous games would show different levels of cracks depending on how close it was to breaking. But they conveniently left it out in this game? It just doesn't add up. It's like they knew if we knew when it was going to break we would carry around custom kits and just repair it. So they made sure we didn't know that unless we wasted time documenting when it was about to break when it should be their job to do that. Almost like they were trying to force us to use their crafting system.

It was a terrible decision. If they wanted breakable tools, that's fine, but why on earth are the gold ones breakable?? In every AC game, the goal was to get gold tools but now there's no point. I just buy them and treat them as disposable cause they are. It sucks!

absolutely nay 😭 it’s such a hassle! literally no one enjoys tool durability lol. i feel it’s good for a survival game where everything is calculated, but in a chill life sim game? i don’t see the appeal that much 😭

also big nay. I would be more okay with it if the golden tools didn’t break and if we had some indication that they were about to break (thinking of botw)

Reactions: Doo
I don't mind tools breaking, but I wouldn't mind if they lasted a little longer than they do!

While it isn't from Nintendo, there is a game, Virtual Town. You start off with bronze tools. You can also buy silver and gold tools.

You tell when the bronze and silver tools are about to break, as they get cracks as you use them. The golden tools don't break. (If memory serves, you can see the image of the tool getting cracks in your inventory. Been a long time since I've played. It got boring.)

Golden tools breaking in ACNH was a severely poor idea, that should never, ever be repeated.

nay, it's just needless busy work. I'd be more fine with the concept of the golden tools were the unbreakable endgame, but alas.

i’m not massively fussed about it, it’s inconvenient but doesn’t massively take away from quality of life I feel. golden tools however should not be breaking!!

Golden tools should NEVER break. I am fine with the regular tools breaking and even the sylish tools, but the golden tools should never break. They are the ultimate tool and it feels like a waste of gold nuggets to spend on them more than once.

I honestly don't mind tools having durability, mainly because I've gotten used to the durability mechanic in other games over the years that I don't really get fussed over it being in games these days, lol. I do think the golden tools should have at the very least had more durability if they still weren't outright unbreakable, though! Given the rarity of gold ores, it makes it hard to want to use them instead of the regular tools when they only last 2-3 times as long.

Back