• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Yay or nay tool durability?

I wouldn't mind IF the golden tools were actually unbreakable. It brings a bit of rythm during early game, but considering how tedious getting the golden tools is, I would appreciate them being unbreakable. So yay but with that condition.

I think it's fine, but the Golden Tools shouldn't break. Or make like an Unbreakable Tool that's very expensive or something.

I think the tiers are off.. So right now we have for shovels:
  • Flimsy, durability 40.
  • Colorful/Outdoorsy/Printed-Design/crafted Shovel, durability 100.
  • Golden Shovel, durability 200.
I'd fix it by the following:
  • Flimsy, durability 50 (round numbers, all increments of 50).
  • Crafted Shovel, durability 100 (stays the same, it's something you craft).
  • Colorful/Outdoorsy/Printed-Design, durability 200, but also they now cost 10,000 Bells apiece. You're paying for quality.
  • Golden: Doesn't break.

Tool durability is one of the things I dislike the most about New Horizons. It’s so annoying to have your tool break when you’re in the middle of doing something, and then having to stop whatever you’re doing to go buy/craft a new one. It wouldn’t be so bad if at least the gold tools didn’t break, but the fact that they do makes them pretty much pointless (aside from making gold roses). Gold nuggets are hard to come by, so using them to craft something that’ll break after 60-200 uses feels like a waste. I can just buy a few regular tools from Nook’s Cranny for the same amount of durability, and I don’t waste a gold nugget.

I get that tool durability was incorporated to encourage crafting, but man… and you have to craft 3k tools to complete the DIY Tools NM achievement? It’s a goal of mine to eventually complete all of the achievements, but I do not see me ever crafting 3k tools. I do not have the time, materials or desire for that lol. It would’ve been better if the DIY Tools achievement had a smaller goal that’d be plausible to complete before you’d earn any of the gold tools naturally, and then having the gold tools be indestructible. I don’t mind crafting, but if it returns in the next game, I hope that tool durability doesn’t return with it.

Golden tools breaking is a big, fat L- especially since they're still rather difficult to obtain

nay, it’s the dumbest mechanic in the game next to not having the ability to bulk craft.

I definitely have to say nay as well. Even without the fact that golden tools should 100% never break, I think it’s annoying for most the tools in general. I always have a net or fishing rod break while I’m in the flow of bug or fish catching, and having to stop to replace it feels pretty rough. It would help a little if there was a durability indicator to warn me, but it’s still a pain. Not to mention that it hardly gets me crafting either; I carry bells more than materials, so I usually just stop by Timmy and Tommy to buy a replacement instead when I can’t be bothered.

It would be a yay if golden tools were unbreakable. That would make it feel rewarding to finally get unbreakable tools. However, with them breaking, it feels like there's no point in making the golden tools because they don't do anything special. So it's a nay for me.

It would've been fine if the golden ones didn't break. What's the point of earning such achievement only for it to vanish in seconds. But I guess they just wanted us to keep on making them so it won't get boring?
Boring, More like annoying.

NAY. A huge huge NAY. I hate that even good tools end up breaking, what's the point? Durability (or lack thereof) as a way of encouraging players to craft is such a bad idea. Crafting tools gets old really fast. I usually buy a spare tool and keep it in my house but even that is kind of annoying haha.

I usually hate to be someone who criticizes every change for games, but I just don't understand why the gold tools would break!! They're truly less special now and just seemed unnecessary. I guess it's more realistic but it feels less like a prize to strive for

I've come to accept the tools breaking as just part of the game, it doesn't annoy me as much now as when I first started playing. I know some people probably keep spare tools in storage, I have a few spare tools scattered around my island as "decoration" that I can also steal and use in an emergency which is a system that works for me.

I do agree about the golden tools though, just like what's the point? And why should I waste my limited gold nuggets on something that is going to break anyway?? It makes no sense to me.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen everyone here agree on a single point before. It's an Animal Crossing miracle, lol!
But seriously, I say nay. I think breaking tools could work well, especially for flimsy or even regular tools. Flimsy tools breaking makes sense since they're made out of sticks and all, and regular tools breaking would encourage you to buy and try new ones. But under no circumstances should the golden tools ever break. Gold is a pretty rare resource and using it on a gold tool just for it to break is a waste. Really don't understand why they ever thought that was a good idea.

I say nay at least for the golden tools. I didn’t mind the normal tools breaking as much. I always made sure to bring enough extras or materials with me if I need them for something. I felt like the golden tools were supposed to be special and like a reward , & by them still breaking, I found that it makes me feel not rewarded for all the time i worked towards getting it and a waste of gold nuggets

yay for flimsy tools or even upgraded / shop bought tools, helps motivate to work towards better tools. better tools being golden tools, them breaking is a huge nay.

I'm pretty neutral about tool durability (especially after learning of the customization "trick"), but nintendo making golden tools be both breakable and uncustomizable has to of been one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen

Back