• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What did you name your island, and why?

Growing up in a house right by the train tracks, I could watch trains going by from my window. Since there was a stop right across, I'd often imagine packing up a small suitcase and hopping on a train to take me "far away". That memory of lying in bed, hearing the trains and thinking about just leaving—still in my pajamas!—is really nostalgic and comforting for me, and I like to think that my Island is that place I'd be going to.

So I named it Faraway ♥

My island is called Shione. (Pronounced "SHE-oh-nay")

First off, y'all should know: I am HORRIBLE at coming up with names when prompted. My WW town ended up named after where I actually lived (because I was a dumb middle schooler and took Kapp'n's question literally), and I named my NL town after the nickname we gave our new house (appropriately, our "new leaf").

At the time I started New Horizons, I'd been working on characters for a project I hope to one day put together, illustrate, and publish (I'm hoping). Three of the characters I've created come from the same homeland, which I named Shione, and it was my favorite of the three homelands my cast hails from, both in naming and designing.
Now, I know I won't be able to get the geography and such the same, but all of that aside; since this project was heavily present in my mind at the time, the homeland of my Berserker, Cleric, and Samurai characters ended up giving my island its name. The island flag also pays homage to them, as I used items important to each respective character in the design (which I worked out on graph paper).

I both hope that my project turns out well, and that Shione Island flourishes =^-^=

I named it after the Goddess of vanity, Cassiopeia.
Mostly because I wanted an astrological name that wasn't completely overused.

I named my island "Snowbelle" After a pokemon city with a lovely town song!!! Also "bells" is the currency so its fitting

I named mine Good Burger cause I was ruining out of time and thought hey sounds neat. Now I am forever welcomed to the home of the good burger.

I named my island Ambrosia. I got apples as native fruit, Ambrosia is the name of an apple variety. It sounded nice and I think it fits very well :)

~I appreciate all the responses from all of you! Love hearing all the stories behind your town names~

What a fun thread! (*≧∀≦*)

I named my island “Seaside” because I thought it suited the tropical island theme. It’s also my favorite map in Freerealms (before it closed down eheh..)! It’s cool to see the backstory behind some of these names. Sometimes you don’t realize the thought that is put into these islands!

I named my island “Perlemor” because I wanted an elegant sounding name that had a connection to the ocean! The name itself means “mother of pearl” in Danish, which is a language I am currently studying ^^

It also helps that my native fruits are pears: I can call them “Perlepears” as a brand name of sorts haha

Called my island after my old New Leaf town Rosepool. There is not really a meaning behind this name or so, I came up with it back then when I was searching for a new town name after I started to get bored by the one I used around that time.

I named my island Springwood. Its from dead by daylight and I thought it sounded cute so I went with it

My first island was called Calypso because it gave me summer/tropical vibes, but I later decided to reset and named my new island Mochi. I’ve always had some form of moch(a/i) in my usernames so I thought this was fitting. Inspired by the Japanese rice cake! :)

I have named mine Cervinea, since I love deers <3 It's based on the scientific word for the deer family, "cervine".

i named mine honeypot bc i just wanted a name that sounded cute lol

Canoubiers, because I used to live there and I wanted a beachy vibe for my island.

Reviled; it means something this way as well as backwards, which is interesting to me.
I also just like how it sounds.

I named mine Sylva, Latin for woods/forest because I want to have a forest theme!

Back