• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are your gaming pet peeves?

Characters that are overall ANNOYING. My most-hated character because of this is Puyo POP Fever's Yu. Her VA is good, but YEESH, does she love to say "Indeed"! a lot! her one saving grace is her Ghostbusters reference (one of her spells has her saying 'Who you gonna call?'), but still, she is my nemesis in that game. I hope PPT's version of her isn't as annoying.

the only one i can really think of, and i’m not sure if it counts lol, is when i’m playing a game online and it starts lagging/taking forever to load. it’s especially annoying in mario party superstars when i’m trying to play a mini-game, but i’m not too happy when it happens during a trade or i’m playing with a friend in new horizons, either. every time something takes long to load, i get so scared that it’s going to disconnect lol.

also not super fond of people who brag about how well they’re doing in a game, or people who get so into the game they’re playing that they start trash-talking/taunting the other players. friendly competition is fun, but i’d prefer not to be called names or insulted. sore losers aren’t fun to deal with, either.

Mine is the same as I noted in the "Pet Peeves and Petty Complaints" thread---the phrase "pet peeve."

Like the late William Safire, who had the same gripe decades earlier and swore to buy a dog and name him Peeve for indignation's sake (to introduce him as "this is my pet, Peeve"; he eventually took to referring in his On Language columns in The New York Times to "my pet, Peeve, an information retriever"), I had no idea how many people here love to write about their many pets---all named Peeve. Every day I debark this site, I've learned more and more about the impossibility of resisting the temptation to name such herds and hordes of pets thus.

With further apology to Mr. Safire, I have to go now; my pet, Peeve, is debarking . . .

Games that use a blur on the top of the screen to indicate how far away things are. LoZ Link's Awakening (switch) does this along with Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and it kills my eyes.

When companies release an empty game, charge $60 for a digital copy (with no physical copy available), wait a couple of months, then release a bunch of $20 DLC to make the game actually playable. Plus one free update so there's less backlash. In my opinion, games should be released when they're good and DLC should be for features that not every player would want in their game, not the basic stuff. I play the Sims 4, and I cry every time I think about how much money I would have if I never bought it... the sunk-cost fallacy is terrifying T_T

I hate when a game has poor camera controls. I just went back and replayed Super Mario 64 and I realized how bad the Camera movement is in that game. Its like sometimes it doesn't want to move in a direction you want it to move and it gets stuck on a wall. Even my all favorite time game Kingdom Hearts 1 had the same issue.

When companies release an empty game, charge $60 for a digital copy (with no physical copy available), wait a couple of months, then release a bunch of $20 DLC to make the game actually playable. Plus one free update so there's less backlash. In my opinion, games should be released when they're good and DLC should be for features that not every player would want in their game, not the basic stuff. I play the Sims 4, and I cry every time I think about how much money I would have if I never bought it... the sunk-cost fallacy is terrifying T_T
Imo DLC should come at least a year after the game releases. Otherwise that content could've been in the game upon release and they're being greedy.

Another pet peeve in games I don't like is especially in older games where I don't like it where its one of those "Where do you go and what you're suppose to do" type of games. I am someone who doesn't like puzzles in general so they gave me a lot of trouble. This is why I tend to look at a guide to know what to do.

Last edited:
Games that use a blur on the top of the screen to indicate how far away things are. LoZ Link's Awakening (switch) does this along with Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and it kills my eyes.
Yeah as I played BD before it was really annoying. PoGo uses a similar "fog" fashion to lowkey hide stops that you can see on maps, and depending on your angle it might be hidden altogether.

Something else I thought of, its not really about the game its more-so about the characters that irks me

Nintendo is notorious for doing this,
This could apply to really any weakness but right now I am going to be talking about the weakness to extreme heat or cold
in a certain game a character owns a high resistance or even an immunity to extreme heat or cold and this is a trademark trait of theirs, in a another game the same character is shown to have an extreme weakness to the extreme heat or cold they were previously resistant/immune to with little to no logical explanation to this, it gets even worse when it's inconsistent.
WHY NINTENDO WHY
"Samus, use of the Varia Suit is authorized."

I second the DLC stuff, it’s a bunch of bologna to have DLC come out at the same time or within months of game release. I also don’t like when games don’t have a “save whenever” function. I probably have a few more, but I can’t think of them at the moment.

1.Pokemon not having a difficulty slider minus the unlockable difficulties in bw2
2."no contact" lobbies in wreckfest (no smash and crash in a demo derby game)
3.forza having almost no customzation for muscle cars
4.nintendo not putting games that will be lost in the wii u 3ds e shop take down onto the switch
5.people using nothing but legendaries in pokemon
6.the entire free2play gameplay loop, its so predatory
7.minecraft youtubers basically controlling the mob votes *cough cough dream cough glow squid cough cough cough
8.online only games that make you have to be subscribed to whatever online subscription service the console you are playing has, its like subscribing to the game
9.people faking speedruns
10.FPS voice chat, good lord the sheer amount of slurs

Gaming trailers that have movies and cutscenes as the only thing they show. I want to see gameplay. If I wanted to watch a movie, I would've watched a movie.

the only one i can really think of, and i’m not sure if it counts lol, is when i’m playing a game online and it starts lagging/taking forever to load. it’s especially annoying in mario party superstars when i’m trying to play a mini-game, but i’m not too happy when it happens during a trade or i’m playing with a friend in new horizons, either. every time something takes long to load, i get so scared that it’s going to disconnect lol.
This is mostly a Nintendo thing because, despite making us pay for the same services that used to be free, they still don't have dedicated servers. So you're at the mercy of everyone's connection being adequate enough. Which sucks since they could've done better, but the connection remains the same from 2012 NL to 2020 NH.

Back