• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are your gaming pet peeves?

i'm making this post in general. it's not directed toward anyone.

a gaming pet peeve of mine:

i don't find competitive players in a game to be jerks. if they want to play a game that's meant to be played competitively seriously that's their right to do for fun, as a hobby, or anything else since they paid for the game and/or putting their personal time into it.

personally, I'm not letting someone kill me in a game or take things easier on a person who's possibly new or wants to play to relax as a hobby because by the time I see their name to see if it's a noob or not I'm already at a disadvantage to lose. I'm not going to sacrifice my ability in a competitive shooter, racer, or sports game just for someone else to run around in the game aimlessly. gamers who expect others not to actually try in a game is a pet peeve of mine.

i don't want other gamers to play by my terms only because that's selfish.

The no life gamers (the term gamer is yucky to me anyway but I don't know what other word to use) that make fun of more casual players.

I know it's a superiority complex thing since they have nothing else in their life to cling to but it's still annoying. It doesn't matter what type of game you play or how often you play it. It's a hobby, not a competition. If anything, it's worrisome when they brag about no lifeing a game for days straight.
Yeah exactly, it's rather unhealthy and if those people have nothing else they need some kind of help rather than being hailed as heroes. I mean if you actually play professional e-sports (for example) you definitely get help with health, exercise, food etc. rather than sitting in your gaming chair at home shouting in your mic.

I play games to relax and for fun, not to reach S-class rank or 110% every single game I own, so yeah some peeps need to calm down and let others enjoy their stuff for fun. It's kinda sad when those "no lifers" appear everywhere and hide with their sniper weapon and think they're cool, lol.

Yeah exactly, it's rather unhealthy and if those people have nothing else they need some kind of help rather than being hailed as heroes. I mean if you actually play professional e-sports (for example) you definitely get help with health, exercise, food etc. rather than sitting in your gaming chair at home shouting in your mic.

I play games to relax and for fun, not to reach S-class rank or 110% every single game I own, so yeah some peeps need to calm down and let others enjoy their stuff for fun. It's kinda sad when those "no lifers" appear everywhere and hide with their sniper weapon and think they're cool, lol.
that pet peeve as i said in my last post isn't reasonable. it's a selfish pet peeve really for the reasoning below.

i made that same point about e-gamers before and someone didn't like it.

i also made the point that if someone wants to play competitively that's their right to do so because it's their time and/or money being used on the game. some people might not like it, but it's not our right to tell them how to play. it's selfish to ask others not to try as much as they want to because you or the other person just want to "relax while playing". you mentioned how the "no lifers" shout in their mic, think they're cool, etc., but the people who complain about "try hards" shout into their mic too and also act toxic. competitive games will have people who are good and people who are bad. both can be toxic. but you can't expect people who are good not to try just to give you a chance. as I said before, if someone wants to relax play a game that is relaxing and save the competitive ones for times you aren't relaxing. no one owes any of us anything to play the game how we want them to play it.

i can't tell you how many times I've played games that I sucked at getting wrecked in the beginning. it sucks, it's frustrating, and angering, but I kept trying and put my time in. getting wrecked is temporary until you get better by learning the mechanics, research the game, ask people questions, learn the physics/math. there was a game that added new vehicles and weapons on an update once. i spent over 4 hours between 2 days testing them out in the training area. the damage output from different ranges, think of scenarios they'd be good for and so on. then a guy i played with joined for 3 hours and tested with me. we brainstormed ideas and gave feedback to each other. that doesn't make us "no lifers" or "try hards". it's because we like being good at the game and want to have an idea of what to do before we waste our skill points into skilling into skills for said vehicles and weapons.

i can't tell you how many times I would wreck someone repeatedly or killed someone and I noticed they were doing something noob-ish. so I sent them a message explaining to them how I found them, how I killed them, what they could or should have done to not have it happen again. and on the other side of the coin I've had people do the same for me messaging me offering me help with something they noticed me not doing right or could have done better. i had a guy from an enemy team once spend 2 hours of his personal time in a dead area of the map just to help me with a flying vehicle, what loadout i should use, and what i should switch my controls to make maneuvering it easier. he didn't have to do that for me (he does it for others too) but he's one of the best pilots on the game and wants people to get better so he has people to dog fight against.

in competitive games the "no life try hards" a lot of you speak about also help many people. in one game I played I led a guild of almost 1000 people that I would train if they ever got on mic asking, or typed, or message me on my console account. i even had a discord set up with loadouts i'd used, wrote what the loadouts were for, how to play them, how to farm skill points faster, etc. i had "try hards" who didn't even like me or did like me in game who'd ask me my opinion on things or ask how to do something they didn't have experience in that I did and visa versa. we don't need to like someone to respect their experience and knowledge in a game. just because some people put the time into learning a game, learning maps, mechanics, physics, the math involved, strategies, asking people questions, watching youtube videos doesn't make them jerk "no lifers". it means they're engulfed in the game and enjoy playing it. without them there is no game. any game you play that's competitive regardless if it's a shooter, strategy, racing, sports, whatever you will GET WRECKED in the beginning until you put your dues in. if someone kills you in a game don't be afraid to message them and ask them how they did something or what you should have done. believe it or not most people might tease you a little bit saying "you noob rekt lol" but it's all in good fun. but those same people will also help you after.

one more side story:
there was a guy me and a friend were in a 2 person vehicle and we kept killing his solo vehicle maybe 5 times. he'd pull a different vehicle trying to counter us. but we have good communication and quick decision making. after killing the guy in his vehicles 5 times i wrote to him telling him we'd stop going in that area, told him to add me in game and on PlayStation. even though he was on the enemy team. i asked the guy what his loadout was and suggested to him two different vehicle fittings. i sent him messages other times, switched over to his team on other days on my other team account and would do vehicles with him while explaining my thought process to him and give suggestions so he could learn from doing. he'd message me when i wasn't online asking for advice. even told me the help i gave him was better than anything he was getting from youtube. and he got better. not all "no life try hards" are toxic or "ruining the game". most of them are what helps the game survive because they teach noobs so the noobs don't delete the game.

RNG when it comes to item drops percentages. Like if you put 0.5% as a common drop rate every time you fight that monster for a non-rare item people do need for whatever quest it ain't working, especially if you are in the room and you miss to attack or if you had to leave for whatever for a minute. I mean I get fight it like, the max 200 times to get it is not a solution but...yeah someone re-work that system.

My perfectionism really comes out in games like Animal Crossing and it's so bad. I want a specific set of things for my island, why can't I choose those? At the very least let me change the airport color. This can't be difficult. Nobody would mind their native fruit as much if it didn't appear on the passport like your native flower. Why can't we change our island name? Just assign numbers to the island that are also visible to some capacity for online problems etc. My problems shouldn't impact my enjoyment of the game, but they do. I understand not being able to change the "border" of our island. But we should be able to change a lot more things. We can change our gender but not our name, which makes that point rather pointless. At least we can change our appearance. Tiny steps, I suppose. I still hate it though. Gimme a "More Choices" DLC.

When a game has a lock-on system that doesn't work very well. By "doesn't work very well" I, of course, mean "you're facing a target head on, but the game thinks you want to target the enemy thirty soccer fields away... from the opposite direction."

When a game has a lock-on system that doesn't work very well. By "doesn't work very well" I, of course, mean "you're facing a target head on, but the game thinks you want to target the enemy thirty soccer fields away... from the opposite direction."
This was literally Elden Ring when I tried it. Friend bugged me until I gave it a try saying it was game of the year. It is so flawed. Had this giant ogre charging at me, target it, and then the game goes naw, you want to target that eagle 60 yards perched on a tree right?

I agree with the micro-transactions. It was fine when it stayed in mobile app games, but it's bled into mainline console games now. And that was just the start. Now they're testing the waters by pushing out games unfinished with promises of updates and patches. We need to go back to the days when games were released when they were truly finished.

Grinding! My absolute bane with rpgs and why I struggle to play them much anymore. Nothing is worse than getting to a boss/fight you can't beat because you're too underleveled and have to spend forever grinding.

Also achievements. In general I love games with collection quests or just generally 100%ing them but something about achievements, I just don't enjoy them. 😅

Digital games. Old school opinion here but when I buy a game, I want a physical cart/disk. Exception to indie/small scale/mobile games of course, but the big titles with premium price tags I need that physical copy.

Also throwing in my +1 to microtransactions in big title, pay to play games.

Grinding! My absolute bane with rpgs and why I struggle to play them much anymore. Nothing is worse than getting to a boss/fight you can't beat because you're too underleveled and have to spend forever grinding.

This so much. I used to have patience but the more rpg's I've played just, **** this lol. And when it's put in just "to make you fight hard and feel proud or something".

Yeah idk, I think most games are too grindy for you to achieve 100% unless it's on the general easier side and you get that last one for doing "doable" stuff.

This so much. I used to have patience but the more rpg's I've played just, **** this lol. And when it's put in just "to make you fight hard and feel proud or something".

Yeah idk, I think most games are too grindy for you to achieve 100% unless it's on the general easier side and you get that last one for doing "doable" stuff.
I remember when people looked down on others who used Pokemon Showdown to build teams. I don't have the time to spend grinding random Pokemon to level 100 and tbh I don't even want to. I tried when I was a kid because I was a kid and had time but nowadays, no thanks.

I remember when people looked down on others who used Pokemon Showdown to build teams. I don't have the time to spend grinding random Pokemon to level 100 and tbh I don't even want to. I tried when I was a kid because I was a kid and had time but nowadays, no thanks.
Yeah, I was never a competitive player nor did I make level 100 teams other than beat the games, Elite Four and stuff. Kinda PoGo pet peeves on mine people showing off their perfect Pvp 'mons and I'm like... okay cool story bro please enjoy the game and relax, lol.

Yeah, I was never a competitive player nor did I make level 100 teams other than beat the games, Elite Four and stuff. Kinda PoGo pet peeves on mine people showing off their perfect Pvp 'mons and I'm like... okay cool story bro please enjoy the game and relax, lol.
People showing off stuff in games in general is annoying lol. It's not going to help you in real life so who cares? I'm actually surprised people still play Pokemon Go. I tried it and lost interest right away. I have the games so I'd rather play those, though I'm sure Pokemon Go looked amazing to those who didn't have the games. I dunno, it's a cool concept, I just couldn't get into it. It seems like a half baked Pokemon game to me.

Haha, riiight? Most rpgs I just want to play for the story, I don't care about super hard bosses that take 20 minutes of precise actions/micromanaging/strategizing. I just want to get through it and continue the story. u_u

Since Pokemon came up (albeit, off topic from competitive battling, which I'm also not into), I'm lowkey one of the people who appreciates the newer game exp shares. If 'making the game too easy' means fighting like, 10 wild battles to level up your team at once vs 60 battles separately, heck yes sign me up, make the game too easy (I don't know why cutting down on grinding time is considered a difficulty level in the first place though). 😅 Johto is forever the worst region to replay/beat because how bad wild pokemon levels are in those games. Thinking back, I never actually beat HG because I couldn't be bothered to raise my team to E4 levels.

People showing off stuff in games in general is annoying lol. It's not going to help you in real life so who cares? I'm actually surprised people still play Pokemon Go. I tried it and lost interest right away. I have the games so I'd rather play those, though I'm sure Pokemon Go looked amazing to those who didn't have the games. I dunno, it's a cool concept, I just couldn't get into it. It seems like a half baked Pokemon game to me.

Ahaha, my friend is one of those, she collects hundos and loves to show me when she gets a new one but doesn't even battle so I'm just like, why do you care? I'm with you that Pogo is not what it could have been, the collecting was super fun at first, but became so grindy and the battle features were all so boring. I had quit before gen 2 was released, but came back later for a bit because of said friend and my brother...I did not enjoy any of the battling stuff: raids. PVP, rocket battles? All mindless tapping and so many Pokemon were locked behind these features too.

Since Pokemon came up (albeit, off topic from competitive battling, which I'm also not into), I'm lowkey one of the people who appreciates the newer game exp shares. If 'making the game too easy' means fighting like, 10 wild battles to level up your team at once vs 60 battles separately, heck yes sign me up, make the game too easy (I don't know why cutting down on grinding time is considered a difficulty level in the first place though). 😅 Johto is forever the worst region to replay/beat because how bad wild pokemon levels are in those games. Thinking back, I never actually beat HG because I couldn't be bothered to raise my team to E4 levels.
SAME I'd probably not have gotten thru it without the auto exp share stuff. I play the games for collecting and story not to IV/EV train without any help, lol.

It's interesting, because when it comes to grinding, I think my mindset is contrary to most people here. As I've grown older, I've come to appreciate the slow burn of games which rely heavily on grinding and extensive character building. I'm not saying that I can't understand why it might be tedious or unappealing to many, but it's honestly kind of nice when I have time to play a game but not enough to invest in the main story, I can just put on a podcast or a TV show and do some quick grinding to take my mind off things, and then have the benefit of the stat boosts when I finally do have the time and energy to continue with the main story.

I've never appreciated it in Pokémon specifically, though. Largely because it often feels as though GameFreak treats grinding and level/type advantage with considerably greater importance than actually teaching players the mechanics of their game, and as the games have gotten easier to the point of near complete mindlessness, the idea of raising a Pokémon for strategic benefit or simply because I like them a lot sort of loses any appeal it may have initially had. I've been playing Pokémon since the very first generation (granted, I stopped playing them consistently after Gen 5) and to this day, I'm reading about new battle mechanics and competitive strategies from other players that I wasn't aware of or wouldn't have thought to implement because the game rarely if ever takes the time to show them off. To that end, I don't feel particularly inclined to raise my characters to the best they could possibly be when the game is designed in such a way where I'm trained to think "Water kills fire also big number is big" and nothing else.

I was thinking about online-only games and I thought they didn’t really bother me, but I’m still in the lens of “not paying for an online sub” (a friend is paying for most of my NSO, so it feels like I’m not paying for it at all, even though I have). They didn’t seriously bother me when online was actually free. Once I realised how it would cost me $60 on top of any game costs (wether the game costs anything or is FTP with MTX) I lost interest in Crash Team Rumble. I would love to just sample it- but can’t even try the game without paying for a subscription. It’s just so annoying thinking there are free online-only games I can’t play anyway and on top of that, one game I‘m interested in trying is locked behind a damn sub for a service I don’t want at all. Subs for online suck so much is my point and they really haven’t improved the service other than candy-coating it with free games. If Steam ever needs a sub for it I guess I will never play online games again other than those with free little fan-hosted servers. Why does it feel so wrong to me when online-only is paired with paid sub anyway? It’s not like I played many of them. I guess it’s another thing pushing me away from the hobby.

Also very annoying that you can’t backup saves for any current consoles offline. I know they did this for security reasons but getting/sharing Wii saves was so easy and that was golden. Was honestly great transferring a lot of my progress between consoles by doing that. Oh the days of things like that and carrying Minecraft with tons of savefiles on a USB stick.

And also those times where they obviously spread out the releases for different versions of one game. There’s spreading them apart to polish certain versions, but I feel like these days that’s a secondary concern for some publishers and that they release some versions later on to make people double-dip. Yes, I am whining about Activision again. I’m sure other publishers have spread out rereleases of games to encourage it as well, even if some of it was wrapped up in exclusivity deals- Persona 5 and DQ11. Pokémon used to do something similar (and it still has the two version nonsense but whatever...).

Last edited:
@Drawdler The problem with Nintendo's online service is that it never changed to make it better from when it was free. It's all still PvP and there is not a dedicated server like Sony and Microsoft have. Plus they have so many other features for online compatibility that Nintendo is sleeping on.

And there's a huge library of online games from the previous gen-consoles on both systems. Yes Nintendo has some to, but it's cherry-picked at best. And when they released the NSO+, the N64 titles played worst than they did on the N64 and sometimes crashed. Where was the play-testing/quality assurance to make sure this released flawlessly for the ridiculous price they were asking for?

Nintendo is just slipping hard and we just keep allowing it.

Not all people have your best interest in mind, lol. I had to disable messages (on XBOX Live — I thought I should mention the platform) because I’d occasionally receive some talking about how I’m trash or just someone being a troll. You can think someone that sensitive shouldn’t be playing competitive games like that, but it’s a free country. Nobody has the right to be an ******* because someone’s trying to enjoy a game, online or not. I’m not going to leave messages on to allow people to tell me what I’m doing wrong or harass me — which has happened before.

Last edited:
Enemies with annoying mechanics and bad rng.

And the moment when you're close to something, but it doesn't happen at all.

It's less the games and more my internet connection that makes a lot of games less enjoyable.

Strictly relating to games, flaming or cussing out players who aren't up to someone's standards is a huge pet peeve

Back