• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are your gaming pet peeves?

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
Similar to the pet peeves general thread, do you have any pet peeves when gaming?

This is for sports games:
I hate when people showboat or run up the score on football games.
I hate when people go for two on football games when it’s not necessary.
I hate when people choose olympic teams or all-star teams on hockey.

A few gaming pet peeves of mine in general:
Showboating/taunting in any sort of game is very annoying.
People who send troll messages. This is why I have messaging turned off.
In games like Mario Kart, it’s annoying when people only go after you in battle.
I dislike games with save points. Why can’t I save whenever and wherever I want?

I’ve shared most of my gaming pet peeves in the past, so here are just my big ones.

- Games with annoying voice acting.
- Games that would do well internationally never leaving Japan.
- Weird difficulty spikes in games with no difficulty settings.
- JRPGs that only point out the direction you should be heading in with a throwaway line of dialogue.
- Dungeons that are literally mazes.
- High random encounter rates.
- Logic puzzles that require you to get a piece of paper (unless the game is designed specifically with those in mind).
- Games where it is nearly impossible to progress certain sections without grinding.
- 3D games that invert the camera controls by default or don’t give you the option to change them.
- Gameplay that is dependent on trial and error.

I think it's appropriate to apply this discussion to the gaming community as a whole. That's where a lot of my gripes in gaming comes from, but just on the games, here's a list:
  • Sequels removing or altering certain features/mechanics when they didn't need to be tampered with.
  • MMOs have a nasty tendency to charge something that that has no bearing on the gameplay, such as aesthetics (i.e. what clothing you want your character to wear). It's really dumb, and the only way anyone can give justice to this practice is if they have a disposable income.
  • To extend on the second point, I don't support micro transactions, either.
  • DLC that was obviously on the disc/cartridge (mostly disc), yet is still sold separately from the game.
  • Developers not understanding the difference between streamlining and simplifying their games to the point that they can genuinely be considered "dumbing down".
Those are just some of my pet peeves in relation to gaming, now for the community that's dedicated to this art form:
  • Lots of video game forums are trash, to be honest (can be said for lots of forums in general, too).
  • Just like competitive sports, people can get a bit ridiculous when it comes to pro gaming and such.
  • There's so much discord and miscommunication between gaming fandoms. It's usually a set of "veteran" gamers who've been invested in a particular franchise since the beginning vs. newcomers who don't understand the complaints the former has for the latest installments. God, it can be so toxic and draining that it just makes me give up on people ever finding a common ground when it comes to having a different opinion.
  • Speaking of opinions, it still baffles me how intolerant and abrasive people are when it comes to what others enjoy, or what is a game-related issue with some people. The best example I can give is how the term "nostalgia" is liberally used within gaming forums; most of the time, it has a negative connotation behind it, as someone's nostalgia of a video game is enough to discredit how that person feels about said video game. It's so childishly reductive, harsh, and misunderstands what "nostalgia" really means just to say: "No, you're opinion's wrong". I hate the "nostalgia goggles/whatever" phrase so much because it makes it seem you can only have a certain opinion on a certain piece of media if you grew up on it. I know this might confuse some people because I don't always explain things well, but if you've seen or heard the phrase, "You're just blinded by nostalgia" before, you'll know what I'm talking about, and hopefully you find this notion as stupid as I do.

Last edited:
- Bad (English) voice acting and they don't allow you to use Japanese original, not even as DLC.
- Tutorials harder than the actual game that you get stuck on.
- Camera like Super Mario 64/Odyssey and stuff. Like, just lock it goddamnit.
- Maps that doesn't have correct directions and/or are just mirrored. Like don't say east if it's obviously west, lol. Or it's just mirrored from your POV.
- Buggy games but that's just an obvious. Especially when saving doesn't work, even at designated places.
- DLC that should have been in from start (looking at ya AC:NH).
- Digital only publishing unless it's PC.

-DLC that is announced right after a game is released or even before
-Bad graphics. It's 2022, no excuses anymore
-Five hour long games that are full priced at $90 CAD
-Pixel games that are tiny on handheld Switch
-Laggy/low framerate ports/games
-Games that never go on sale
-Games that are released that are obviously unfinished
-Games with really long cutscenes that you have no way of interacting with. If I wanted to watch a movie, I would've watched a movie
-Japanese only voicing that you can't turn off, especially the yelling during battles
-Camera you have to move. I prefer it moving by itself. Rarely do I have an issue with it where I'd need to move it myself.

I dislike games with save points. Why can’t I save whenever and wherever I want?
Not that I can't empathize, but this has traditionally been the case because the game relies on scripted sequences that break when the game loads up, so by limiting your access to the save menu only to certain points where the game can safely be loaded up without destroying the scripts or causing any number of unforeseen glitches, it can save developers and players a lot of headache. Think of it as the video game equivalent of the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screens from the 90's. A hassle, yes, but one that was necessary.

I'm not entirely sure how applicable this is to modern games, mind you, particularly in the era of auto-save where the game saves whether you like it or not. And I'm sure a lot of games use this more as a level design/difficulty tool, not necessarily for ease of programming. But at least traditionally, it's been a necessary evil with noble intentions.

On that note, autosave is actually something I'm not terribly fond of. Or, I should say, if the game does autosave, I'd prefer it to be a genre, such as a platformer, where there is generally no situation where having a backed up save would ever be a negative thing. But when an adventure or RPG game decides to auto-save on a point where you're on next to zero HP and have no healing items, that's quite dreadful. I don't like it in Animal Crossing, either, really. You're still relevant to me, Mr. Resetti!!

Speaking of opinions, it still baffles how intolerant and abrasive people are when it comes to what others enjoy, or what is a game-related issue with some people. The best example I can give is how the term "nostalgia" is liberally used within gaming forums; most of the time, it has a negative connotation behind it, as someone's nostalgia of a video game is enough to discredit how that person feels about said video game. It's so childishly reductive, harsh, and misunderstands what "nostalgia" really means just to say: "No, you're opinion's wrong". I hate the "nostalgia goggles/whatever" phrase so much because it makes it seem you can only have a certain opinion on a certain piece of media if you grew up on it. I know this might confuse some people because I don't always explain things well, but if you've seen or heard the phrase, "You're just blinded by nostalgia" before, you'll know what I'm talking about, and hopefully you find this notion as stupid as I do.
What I find fascinating about this particular discourse is that many people seem to be under the impression that there's a certain cut-off point for nostalgia, or a certain age where you're more capable of assessing the quality of games regardless of your emotional attachment to them. And it's very often ridiculously young. For example, "I was 15 when I first played these games, so I have no nostalgia bias."

Because your mid-teens are definitely not a formative period of development that will define your tastes and mental lexicon for much of your life.

I think there definitely are people who seem to only like things because they are older, or are overtly nitpicky of newer things to baffling degrees, and resistant to any kind of change. But I think in certain gaming circles, it's gotten to the point where you can't prefer an older style of anything without being dismissed entirely as an "Old man yells at cloud" style meme.

Last edited:
-DLC that is announced right after a game is released or even before
Ugh yeah I remember them doing this for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy before on 3DS...like bro lol.

Though yeah I'd rather have Japanese only than English only it sounds way worse most of the times.

Ugh yeah I remember them doing this for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy before on 3DS...like bro lol.

Though yeah I'd rather have Japanese only than English only it sounds way worse most of the times.
And Monkey Ball Banana Mania. I specifically did not buy that game only because of that scummy crap.

And Monkey Ball Banana Mania. I specifically did not buy that game only because of that scummy crap.
I can imagine :/

I wonder why they really pull that crap it's like ??? why do you release the DLC BEFORE a game itself?

I can imagine :/

I wonder why they really pull that crap it's like ??? why do you release the DLC BEFORE a game itself?
Right?? It's so stupid. Not to mention the price of each character that doesn't come with a stage, music, or voice acting. Meanwhile in Smash, the characters continued to come out years after, are two bucks more and come with all that.

Right?? It's so stupid. Not to mention the price of each character that doesn't come with a stage, music, or voice acting. Meanwhile in Smash, the characters continued to come out years after, are two bucks more and come with all that.
^Exactly.

Also another, unrelated pet peeves. Games that are nice and casual up to a certain point, but then you get the steepest, most elite learning curve ever, or the difficulty gets too difficult. (looking at you stuff like xcom, dota etc.)

One of my pet peeves right now is the bachelors in games you can get married. I was very interested in getting My time at Portia. I was looking at the eligible bachelors before I purchased the game and I realized that there are no cute bachelors 😭

I get looks are subjective, but my eyes are really not seeing anything nice.
Why do I find them so unattractive?

I find this same issue with some of the guys from Harvest Moon (though there’s always at least one nice looking one). In my time with Portia I really couldn’t find anyone. I guess the game just isn’t my style.

Oh right; I've thought of one: Text that auto-skips in narrative-based games.

I don't even consider myself a slow reader, but somehow when a game has dialogue boxes that automatically skip (during key cutscenes and the like), the dialogue will last just long enough for me to not be able to finish.

I really hate the hidden DRM environment of gaming most people seem to overlook these days. Steam is one of the biggest offenders and another reason I have not gotten into PC gaming. We should not have to be online and sign in constantly to play games we own. I just learned Microsoft is an offender of this as well with the Xbox Series X/S with many games not being able to be opened in offline mode, even for discs. This was also made apparent during an outage they had within the last year. If I would have known this, I would have probably opted for the PS5 from the start. I like knowing I own the game to play and not the feeling of renting it so I am pretty frustrated gaming is headed in this direction.

I guess mine are more specific to certain games….
It’s weird how in the Sims 4, you can’t take group photos. (I think there’s a mod where you can, but I’m not sure.)
Also with the Sims 4, you can only own one lot. (Wish it could be more.)
I wish you could change up your vehicle/wheels between races in the Mario Kart games.
More sports in Switch Sports. At least have an equivalent of “Swordplay Showdown” from Wii Sports Resort.
I wish Miitopia was longer….
And I wish you could skip past certain cutscenes in Breath of the Wild.

my personal pet peeve less in-game, more just in general, is stuff being announced WAY TOO EARLY. please dont announce a game as you're starting development, just do it when you have footage to show off something. prime 4 was announced way too early, bayonetta 3 was announced way too early (finally being shown off though) and it's just so crappy to have nothing but "(Title) now in development." i dont care bro show me the game or just leave!!!!!!!!!!

I guess mine are more specific to certain games….
It’s weird how in the Sims 4, you can’t take group photos. (I think there’s a mod where you can, but I’m not sure.)
Also with the Sims 4, you can only own one lot. (Wish it could be more.)
do you play on PC or on console? if on PC you can download the pose tool and use the camera from Moschino pack(?) to take a "group" photo that way. in-game, there should be an option, and i'm sad there's not because it limits console gamers. also, multiple lots were in sims 3 and i'd love for that to come back..

I really hate the hidden DRM environment of gaming most people seem to overlook these days. Steam is one of the biggest offenders and another reason I have not gotten into PC gaming. We should not have to be online and sign in constantly to play games we own. I just learned Microsoft is an offender of this as well with the Xbox Series X/S with many games not being able to be opened in offline mode, even for discs. This was also made apparent during an outage they had within the last year. If I would have known this, I would have probably opted for the PS5 from the start. I like knowing I own the game to play and not the feeling of renting it so I am pretty frustrated gaming is headed in this direction.
My feelings towards the current landscape of DRM qualify as more than a pet peeve. It's gotten to the point where I've decided against purchasing games that would legitimately interest me because they have Denuvo or something. I don't mind Steam's internal DRM. It's nonobtrusive and offers a host of other benefits. But when you purchase a game through Steam and then they force you to install uPlay, Origin, or what have you, or worse: Install driver-level DRM or keyloggers, then that's absolutely unacceptable.

I think these qualify more as accessibility options than pet peeves, but mine are:
  • Games with no subtitles during cutscenes.
  • Semi-translucent text boxes, they make the text hard to read often.
  • Games with no text log, specially if it's a dialogue-heavy game (cough persona & ace attorney cough)
  • No settings to change the different sounds' volumes. Games usually make the VAs and cound effects volumes too high and I find that annoying, I can barely listen to the BGM....
  • Games where "Hard/Extreme" mode is just leveling up enemies way too much, making you to grind for hours. It's nor hard, it's annoying; couldn't they just make the enemy AI more intelligent, for example?
  • Kind of related to the last thing, games with no Easy mode. Sometimes you just want to relax.

Games with no text log, specially if it's a dialogue-heavy game (cough persona & ace attorney cough)
Worth a note is that recent Ace Attorney games (Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice, and Great Ace Attorney) do have this. But it is a shame that for some reason Capcom thinks the original trilogy doesn't need this, so they haven't added them to modern re-releases as far as I'm aware.

i don't play a very wide selection of games, so i don't really have a long list of pet peeves, but here's one:

Games that force you to play online. i think nintendo switch sports is a huge example of this. i want to get a certain haircut, but i have to keep on playing online to get it. i'd rather just play badminton with my sister, but i'm forced to play online so i can decorate my character the way i want. i wish you could at least PICK the reward you get so you don't have to keep playing online over and over.

Back