What are your gaming pet peeves?

This probably sounds anti social but it bugs me how gaming is so multiplayer focused. You don't really have any privacy anymore. Friends can see what you're playing, when you're playing it. Obviously this is a cool feature but for me it tires me out. I just want to play a game in privacy without others knowing.

This probably sounds anti social but it bugs me how gaming is so multiplayer focused. You don't really have any privacy anymore. Friends can see what you're playing, when you're playing it. Obviously this is a cool feature but for me it tires me out. I just want to play a game in privacy without others knowing.
I actually don't mind this too much, but I do wish that storefronts would allow you to be slightly more selective about which games to show and which games to not. Even if you appear offline, people may not be able to see when you're playing a game, but if they check their community tab, they will see that you are playing it. And (without going into any unnecessary detail) there are some games where you would definitely rather not have your achievements broadcast to the world.

Worth a note is that recent Ace Attorney games (Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice, and Great Ace Attorney) do have this. But it is a shame that for some reason Capcom thinks the original trilogy doesn't need this, so they haven't added them to modern re-releases as far as I'm aware.
Yeah I was thinking of the trilogy & apollo justice when I wrote that.
I played every AA + DGS/TGAA games on 3DS so it was weird that AA1-4 had no text logs when they're remakes and the other 3DS games got them (oh and the lack of languages other than english even though they were translated in the DS versions, but that's another story)
I find stories a bit hard to follow without them, sometimes I accidentally read without actually reading/understanding and I don't notice until later....

Here’s a teensy tiny one. CTR:NF. Why isn’t there a setting to have the wide camera on by default 💀

Thought of one with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I hate seeing people use the staple combinations like Waluigi on the Wiggler just because it's considered the "ideal" stats. In reality, the difference is so miniscule it really depends on your driving skill, knowledge of the tracks, and ability to minimize RNG element threats. The game itself is just supposed to be a fun racing game anyways, so you should just use characters you like and kart combos that feel/look good to you.

Thought of one with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I hate seeing people use the staple combinations like Waluigi on the Wiggler just because it's considered the "ideal" stats. In reality, the difference is so miniscule it really depends on your driving skill, knowledge of the tracks, and ability to minimize RNG element threats. The game itself is just supposed to be a fun racing game anyways, so you should just use characters you like and kart combos that feel/look good to you.
This is my gaming pet peeve for like all games
Like in smash I only main characters I like because it's just a game for fun why do people use the "best" things in games if you don't even like it just because you want it to increase your skill/power when people play a powerful fighter in smash it doesn't automatically make you good at smash you still need to practice everything and such

Some people find the optimisation and trying to be the best fun. They’re just invested in a different way

So anyway. Xenoblade 3 is good but something really bugging me about the game is that a lot of cutscenes are lacking sound effects especially for walking/running and drawing weapons /: It’s been a long time but I can’t remember 1 having that problem. Even early in the game is a scene where a monster jumps at you and roars but there’s no roar sound effect? Fr?

1. Unskipable tutorials (yes, they are helpful the first time, but if I come back and wanna start fresh, I do not need them anymore)
2. Sickness (Miitopia)
3. Wrong Purchasing (Miitopia)
4. This echoes the OP: Games where you cannot save whenever
5. Villagers changing their mind about moving even when you support there decision to move (AC:NL)
6. The train passing through Main Street when I need to get there (AC:NL)

Kind of an old topic, but this is kind of bothering me. My friend kept bugging me to try Elden Ring. So I finally gave it a go.

The game is flawed. It is not 10/10 worthy like a lot of the internet would make you think. The graphics look kind of outdated and the camera is very janky. That's fine and I can deal with that. But the way the fans praise the game like it can't do any wrong is annoying. There is no way to pause the game and if your controller dies it won't force the game in a locked state until it is addressed. You just watch your character get slaughtered.

'Having a pause feature would make the game too easy.' Any criticism of the game is met by diaper tantrums that the game and company cannot do any wrong. Like the game could delete your save file every 3 seconds and the community would praise it as a challenge and you just need to get good.

There wasn't any tutorial when I started or even a story. When I looked up people's thoughts on that, it was literally you have to go on the internet to learn how to play the game. That it's not Elden Ring's job to teach you the game. What? I don't mind a challenging game, but they made everything difficult just for the sake of difficulty. In Botw I died a lot in the beginning. It had a good tutorial and over time you strengthened Link's build. In this game, leveling up barely does anything and general enemies can still stomp you.

It kind of reminds me of Subnautica. A game I was also told to try. I gave up on it. The game loads like butt. Takes like 1-3 minutes to load a save file. And when you start building bases it can be anywhere to 5-20. I went online to see what everyone's thoughts were on this and they were content with waiting 20-30 minutes for their game to load. The game doesn't even load properly since I will be swimming underwater and the landscape won't even load for 1-2 minutes. So my character drowns while waiting for the landscape to load.

Why is there so much complacency for mediocrity in games these days?

Way too many, honestly;

- Microtransactions. I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet. My biggest grievance and the reason I almost permanently stopped playing games in general. I hate this so much, especially when developers attach it as a shortcut to in-game progression. Hell, even for cosmetics and stuff, I think it's extremely greedy.

- Downloadable Content (DLC). I'm pretty old school when it comes it gaming, but I've always had a problem with DLC. I'm not talking about artbooks, comics and soundtrack, I think those are totally fine, I'm talking about new levels, new areas, new characters. I just think it's pretty lazy and money hungry of developers not to include it in the base game in the first place and release something small much after the release of the actual game. Overall, just seems lazy like an after thought.

- Multiplayer only games. Basically the developer digging their own grave with their game. Once people stopped caring about a particular multiplayer only game, that's it. It's unplayable. You won't be able to play with others, and even if there are others that play, it will be an absolute chore to find other people. These games go on sale so often as a last ditch effort to potentially get people to play or interested.

- Bad camera angles. Yeah.... pretty obvious. Others have mentioned it as well. Games like Super Mario 64, and some others I have played have caused me no end of grief with their terrible camera angles.

- Chat functions in games (both text and voice). Honestly, let's face it - it just doesn't work. You can't trust people to be nice and kind and mature online EVER. There's no point to them and people just use their anonymity to blast and roast each other. You're better off just using Discord for it. Quick chat is probably good enough. The last thing I want to hear is some pre pubscent kid swearing at me, thinking they're cool.

Everyone else did a great job covering most of mine.

Way too many, honestly;

- Microtransactions. I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet. My biggest grievance and the reason I almost permanently stopped playing games in general. I hate this so much, especially when developers attach it as a shortcut to in-game progression. Hell, even for cosmetics and stuff, I think it's extremely greedy.

- Downloadable Content (DLC). I'm pretty old school when it comes it gaming, but I've always had a problem with DLC. I'm not talking about artbooks, comics and soundtrack, I think those are totally fine, I'm talking about new levels, new areas, new characters. I just think it's pretty lazy and money hungry of developers not to include it in the base game in the first place and release something small much after the release of the actual game. Overall, just seems lazy like an after thought.

- Multiplayer only games. Basically the developer digging their own grave with their game. Once people stopped caring about a particular multiplayer only game, that's it. It's unplayable. You won't be able to play with others, and even if there are others that play, it will be an absolute chore to find other people. These games go on sale so often as a last ditch effort to potentially get people to play or interested.

- Bad camera angles. Yeah.... pretty obvious. Others have mentioned it as well. Games like Super Mario 64, and some others I have played have caused me no end of grief with their terrible camera angles.

- Chat functions in games (both text and voice). Honestly, let's face it - it just doesn't work. You can't trust people to be nice and kind and mature online EVER. There's no point to them and people just use their anonymity to blast and roast each other. You're better off just using Discord for it. Quick chat is probably good enough. The last thing I want to hear is some pre pubscent kid swearing at me, thinking they're cool.

Everyone else did a great job covering most of mine.
I'm not crazy about DLC either. I only think it's fair when it comes out years after the game's release (Smash Bros). Something like Pokemon Sword and Shield or Super Monkey Ball when it was announced at launch or a month after is plain greedy since it very well could have been in the game originally.

When people fight over voice chat and don’t play the game overwatch is bad with this like just play the game and you will never have to see each other again

to OP lol showboating and taunting? the best troll in FPS is when you teabag someone that somebody else killed. lol or have a group of people do it to the person.

i used to play singularity on ps3 every day and was one of the top people in all categories on the leaderboards. i got so bored of killing everyone that I started using characters in the multi player that were weak or that I had hardly any experience with. my high kill match was over 70 kills and i'd get people inboxing me on psn calling me names, slurs, etc because i'd kill people in anywhere from 1v1 to 1v3 scenarios. if it was more than 3 people on me i'd usually still take at least 2 of them out. the killing was just second nature at that point.

peeves:

I agree with the people who say games forcing you to do online only. if a game is online only you end up with a paperweight when the servers close. waste of money.

what I HATE the most is when companies like capcom release a game then shortly after release another edition with extra content. sometimes multiple times. street fighter games for example. or the multiple versions of mortal kombat 11. just make the game and stop trying to milk people for money for the same game repeatedly. how many versions of damn SKYRIM do we need?!

1. Games with bad voice acting
Many users on here seem to agree too..

2. Games with hand-holdy features
Some games feel like you never leave the tutorial stage.

3. Games that require online support
Specifically...games that force you to play against or with other online users or use online settings. I never go online until I'm good and ready.

4. Games that have no hard mode or any difficulty settings

Trophies locked behind online multiplayer. I'm no means a platinum hunter, but it is SO annoying to see online-only trophies - especially in games with multitudes of griefers and hackers (looking at you RDR2's Red Dead Online). Or if said online service is prone to connection errors.

Seconding microtransactions, even more so if there's an ingame shop. Every time you open the menu it's there, begging you to buy exp modifiers, cosmetic armour/costumes, rare items, ingame cash etc.

This so much. I'm not that active anymore on it but yeah people using like competitive combos/characters irked me like that. I mean sure I try to get a stable car with cool parts but yeah some character ****s drive me nuts.

@Haru Okumura I agree with that too, like bro let me play alone and don't multiplayer lock stuff, ugh.

Also forced English voice-acting with no option to switch or download Japanese originals. Especially when they use the same whiny cute girl-voice and that one male voice like most anime dubs.

The no life gamers (the term gamer is yucky to me anyway but I don't know what other word to use) that make fun of more casual players.

I know it's a superiority complex thing since they have nothing else in their life to cling to but it's still annoying. It doesn't matter what type of game you play or how often you play it. It's a hobby, not a competition. If anything, it's worrisome when they brag about no lifeing a game for days straight.

I hate it when I’m playing a game with no quest indicators and the only directions to the next destination are in a line of dialogue that you cannot reread. It sounds really specific, but a ton of old games do this.

I hate it when I’m playing a game with no quest indicators and the only directions to the next destination are in a line of dialogue that you cannot reread. It sounds really specific, but a ton of old games do this.
I think I know what you mean, this irks me as well. I mean sure these days there are FAQs but honestly I'd just want to progress without having to look up everything.

I might have mentioned, but a lot of DS, but also some 3DS couldn't handle touch screen properly, like LoZ: PH and such. Like why put it to use if you can't make it sensitive enough?

This so much. It especially sucks when you come back to a game that you haven't played in a year or more. Like, what do I do next in the game? Lol so confusing.

Back