• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Weight Loss Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you are a body builder, BMI is a good estimate.

it's a good estimate but it's not a diagnostic tool (and some ppl on this thread seem to be treating it as such) my advice is for ppl just to see a health professional for a full evaluation (if they can)

it's a good estimate but it's not a diagnostic tool (and some ppl on this thread seem to be treating it as such) my advice is for ppl just to see a health professional for a full evaluation (if they can)
It's a pretty decent estimate to diagnose obesity. Especially considering that other tests, such as body fat percentage, actually lower the BMI threshold for obesity.

Exercise every day

And don't eat junk

It's literally that easy unless you have thyroid problems

It's a pretty decent estimate to diagnose obesity. Especially considering that other tests, such as body fat percentage, actually lower the BMI threshold for obesity.

while i know it's accurate for me and a lot of other ppl, it doesn't take into account a lot of things like age, gender and muscle mass. and since a lot of users on this are quite young i'd just advise them to see their family doctor tbh. i'm not saying i disagree with it as an estimate tho at all

while i know it's accurate for me and a lot of other ppl, it doesn't take into account a lot of things like age, gender and muscle mass. and since a lot of users on this are quite young i'd just advise them to see their family doctor tbh. i'm not saying i disagree with it as an estimate tho at all
They actually have calculators that take age and sex into the equation. Children just have a bigger window of normal.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Here is a BMI calculator for kids.

Last edited:
Skip any fad diet. These either don't work or don't work for long and are usually not your healthiest option. Plus, they can be unnecessarily expensive. Basically, they're "the lazy way out."

You need to cut out all processed foods and anything high in fats, calories, salt and sugar. You do need these nutrients in your body but you do not need insane amounts. Pretty much all processed foods like instant meals are bad for you so it's best to cut them out, whether that needs to be done slowly or cold turkey is up to you. Obviously having them as a treat every once in awhile won't kill you but eating them won't help you lose weight.

It's important to exercise. Many people skip/forget this part and just focus on their diet. You cannot skip this part of it or you will not gain progress. Start with something small. It's important to not hurt/overwork yourself. Start with 30mins a day, for example and then once you can handle that fine, add more time. Maybe even change activities. Instead of walking for 30mins a day, change it to jogging, then running, then biking, etc. You do not need to go to the gym in order to lose weight. Swimming, running/jogging, biking, skipping rope, playing a team sport, karate or doing weight lifting are things you can try out. Make it fun! Find an activity you enjoy doing. For me, it's biking and swimming.

I wish you luck! <3

Exercise every day

And don't eat junk

Have you ever posted something nice on these forums? I hope you feel as miserable as you come across on a daily basis.

With regards to the OP there are a lot of great free phone apps that can help you keep track of calories and lose weight at a healthy pace. I used LoseIt a couple years ago when I had gained some unwanted weight. MyFitnessPro is also great. I'd set it to losing about 1 pound a week and just record everything I was eating that day. It also keeps track of macronutrient ratios which is very helpful (to make sure you're getting enough protein etc.). Fitness is important, but doesn't make a huge impact on weight loss unless you're doing olympic training or something. It's best to keep a food diary and the electronic ones are awesome. I got to my goal weight a little earlier than expected and was very happy!

Exercise every day

And don't eat junk

Lol thyroid problems don't exist.
Eat less, move more
It's literally that easy

- - - Post Merge - - -

For the love of God, stay away from BMI calculators. BMI is horrible and inaccurate.

Unless you are a bodybuilder, BMI is a good starting point. The Rock is obese, but for whatever reason people use that as an excuse to not lose weight "BUT BMI isn't accurate for people with muscle!" when they know that their weight is mostly fat, not muscle.

"Eat less, move more" is kind of terrible advice; if someone's eating junk, they can easily lose weight by eating more healthy things. Half a kilo of celery has fewer calories than two oreos.

Eat 5 meals a day but in smaller quantities, which means you'll be eating every 3 hours. That will boost up your metabolism
Drink lots of water
Exercise, walk, run, whatever you'd like to do
Eat clean... meaning, no fried stuff, try and eat less processed food and more lean proteins, fruits, vegetables and grains
Skip the soda or sugary juices, drink water or tea instead. you'd be surprised to know how many calories you are drinking without even noticing!

Last edited:
"Eat less, move more" is kind of terrible advice; if someone's eating junk, they can easily lose weight by eating more healthy things. Half a kilo of celery has fewer calories than two oreos.
Not really. It's better for your body to eat healthier, but weight loss is simple thermodynamics.

Exercise is always a good idea. Because it also can be fun.

Eating habits are tricky, no person is the same and most diets contradict eachother.
so maybe if you have the money for it, you could visit a dietist (I hope thats also the English name for it), who can give you personal advice based on your current eating habits.

I think a diet in a lot of cases isn`t something you can just group diagnose. You have to look at each person individually. Its not like a broken leg, its more complicated.

Exercise is always a good idea. Because it also can be fun.

Eating habits are tricky, no person is the same and most diets contradict eachother.
so maybe if you have the money for it, you could visit a dietist (I hope thats also the English name for it), who can give you personal advice based on your current eating habits.

I think a diet in a lot of cases isn`t something you can just group diagnose. You have to look at each person individually. Its not like a broken leg, its more complicated.
English name is dietitian. I'm just saying this because dietitians are different from nutritionists. Dietitians need a degree, whereas nutritionists are just people who completed a small credential program.

1. Eat 5 small meals a Day.
2. Drink More Water. ( I recommend aiming for at least a gallon a day but thats just from my personal preference)
3. Make Sure to Eat Breakfast in the morning. (It help Boosts up your metabolism and It should be the biggest meal of the day)
Exercise( Aerobic, anaerobic, or Both)
4. Cut Out Pop and Sweets. Pop is just sugar and empty calories which just adds weight on) Majority of sweets are Simple Carbs( High in sugar low in fiber)
5. Have a cup of green tea in the morning. (It Boosts your metabolism up 4% for 24 hours)
6. Stay Away From Greasy and Fried Foods. (Go for baked and Grilled meats) Ex: Grilled/Baked Chicken and Salmon or Tilapia.
7. Make a Food Journal. ( Write down what you eat everyday. Include the nutrients in the foods such as sugar, carbs, Calories, fat, and protein. Knowing what you eat everyday will help you cut out foods you don't need)
8. Stay committed (Stick to your "Diet" and stay focused on your goals. Ask yourself how much weight do you want to lose a week. and weigh yourself once a week. On the same day every week and in the morning before you eat.

I believe in you and I will help you in any way you need. If you have questions Just send me a message.

Don't obsess over losing weight. Try to eat healthier, rather than less. Make small changes. Example- choose water with your meal instead of milk or soda, etc. If you normally eat a sandwich with chips for lunch, eat a sandwich and carrot sticks. Try to think healthy instead of skinny. Depriving yourself can make you eat more later. and not to mention, miserable. Don't try to lose a bunch of weight super fast. You will probably just gain it back. It should be lost gradually. Stay away from the scale. Go by how much better you feel, and how your clothes start fitting. And most important,. Love yourself the way you are. Being over weight doesn't mean you're not beautiful. As for exercise. Do something fun. Example- Riding a bike, dancing, etc, might be a lot easier than say, working out to a video in the living room. It also might be helpful to have an exercising buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back