• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Work advice?

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
So, I recently got employed with a place that Ive worked for before, and since I enjoyed it so much I returned.

But as expected its been changing.

We have a new head manager who is kinda, harsh? We used to be able to do certain things, like sitting at the box office, or arcade cause your like standing for 8 hours. But now we can't

He decided dimes were bad so he took those away. Which I have problems with because I work cash and dimes are so much easier. But no. No dimes for us.
If the arcade isnt busy we gotta stand over at the entrance to the theatre and greet guests like its a hotel. It doesnt sound bad, but its embarrassing, esspecially when people look at you weird.

We used to have this food place in the theatre where Staff were allowed to buy lunch with generous discounts. But its closed until 5 or sometimes doesnt even open. Since our fridge, and microwave are broken, its where we got our lunch. But we cant anymore. If you work in the morning and brought no food you gotta book it to the food court or bring stuff. The customers even complain its not open. But nope. Its closed. It makes alot of money, I dont know why he decided it should be closed.

Theres no more box office where you used to buy tickets, you buy your tickets from concession.

Everyone's hours are cut. He closes and opens and closes areas to save hours? I dont understand that. He fired two people who worked in the food place without warning. Not even a strike.

The rest of the managment is fine. Its just the head manager who is changing all this stuff, and treating us like were nothing. I think the rest of the managment has noticed but i don't know.
--
But like. What do I do? What would you do in that situation. Would you quit? Risk a complaint? Ive asked my real life friends, and others. But im still at such a loss.

Ive just been rolling with it, but Ive got 1 shift this week. There's no full time availability. I dont know what i should do. I need money. Im so conflicted.

Edit: Forgot to mention all the fruit flies..

So advice?

Last edited:
This head manager dude sounds like he has a few screws loose...

Anyway, if I were you I'd find a manager you can trust (not the head manager) and report what you've observed to them and how you don't agree with it. They may not be able to do much about it is if this guy is above them, but at least if enough people come forward with complaints it may spark some actual change.

EDIT: I'd advise if you do this though to not get too emotional about it. Managers respect complaints more if they're voiced professionally.

Other than that I'm really not sure. I'd say start looking for a new job while continuing to work there. That's probably your best second option if nothing comes of the complaints. That way you'd still have income while looking for something better. I know job-searching is super tedious, but it can be rewarding too if you find and get into a good place.

Best of luck! 💚

Sounds like the company is having financial issues and may consider closing some locations.
I would personally start filling out applications to other places, and I would be more direct with your current manager, with confidence (key), and ask about things you want changed for yourself in a professional manner.
It will either get better or your moving on to better.

i would probably file a complaint. maybe that's easier said than done, but i would do it anyway; if i knew other employees that i trust felt the same, i'd maybe ask them to back my complaint. (stronger together and all that.) if quitting and finding work elsewhere is something you can do, then i would definitely advise it. if quitting first would put you in financial strain, i'd keep working but also start filling out applications and attending interviews elsewhere so that when you do quit, you already have somewhere else to go. from what i know in the us, there's no legal requirement to hand in your two week's notice (although maybe check your contract, if you can) so once you get the new job, you can probably just quit your current one immediately. if you really love working there and think a complaint might make a difference and/or improve things, i'd definitely try that first, but if you're unhappy and it's not likely things will get better, i personally would quit while i'm ahead.

i think you would be better off/have an easier time finding a similar job or something else you enjoy that has full-time availability rather than having to potentially work two part-time jobs to make ends meet.

i would probably file a complaint. maybe that's easier said than done, but i would do it anyway; if i knew other employees that i trust felt the same, i'd maybe ask them to back my complaint. (stronger together and all that.) if quitting and finding work elsewhere is something you can do, then i would definitely advise it. if quitting first would put you in financial strain, i'd keep working but also start filling out applications and attending interviews elsewhere so that when you do quit, you already have somewhere else to go. from what i know in the us, there's no legal requirement to hand in your two week's notice (although maybe check your contract, if you can) so once you get the new job, you can probably just quit your current one immediately. if you really love working there and think a complaint might make a difference and/or improve things, i'd definitely try that first, but if you're unhappy and it's not likely things will get better, i personally would quit while i'm ahead.

i think you would be better off/have an easier time finding a similar job or something else you enjoy that has full-time availability rather than having to potentially work two part-time jobs to make ends meet.
Its honestly pretty much all my co-workers. So it would be a pretty unionized set of complaints lol

Its honestly pretty much all my co-workers. So it would be a pretty unionized set of complaints lol
my only worry would've been getting "snitched on", even though you can't (or aren't supposed to) be fired for making a complaint, but if the feeling is unanimous, and you trust them all, then i would definitely kick up a fuss together if you think it would make a difference. it might not work, but it's still worth a shot if you enjoy working there otherwise.

I don't usually post in this part of the forum simply because of some of the random topics being discussed make me feel a bit uneasy, but I couldn't help but notice what this is about, and I want to try and help you out.

I realize it's been a few weeks since you posted about this - and I don't know if you're still in this scenario - but I'm going to assume at the moment that things are still the way they are. There are clearly some unusual things going on with your main boss that are simply out of your control. I'll give you my opinion, and you'll probably not like it, but I've got to mention it anyways:

Find a new job.

It's pretty clear from what you're explaining that your head manager is going through some financial troubles with corporate, and you're getting caught in the crossfire as a result. It doesn't hurt to try and at least say something about it with the other managers. From what I've learned throughout some of the jobs I've previously had, you always go to the next manager in command if you have legitimate concerns about your main boss that you don't feel comfortable mentioning with them, and if they won't do anything about it, then you put in your two weeks. It's as simple as that. It is their job to make sure you are feeling comfortable enough to perform your duties without feeling pressured, and if they're failing to even do that, then I see no reason to continue supporting the place you work for.

Unfortunately, you also have to realize that not every employer is able to satisfy lower-tier employee requests. There are usually reasons as to why certain decisions are made when it comes to quality of life things not getting fixed or employees seemingly getting fired "for no reason". Not everyone understands that they have to follow orders too, usually to those from the corporate ladder. If the people at corporate are giving your head manager a hard time, then that manager is most likely going to take out their frustration at the other employees and get away with it. It's very common to not like your boss at any job, but if they're making decisions that you, the lower-level employee, are feeling uncomfortable with, then it is likely a sign for you to part ways and use your skills elsewhere (and let me tell you, it is super easy to find a different job at a different company these days if you put in the time and effort to see what's being offered to you).

I'll give you another piece of advice if you ultimately decide to make a change. When job searching, I would say the biggest thing to look for when it comes to something you want is the amount of hours an employer is expecting you to work per week. Wage matters as well, of course, but if you really want an opportunity to make some more money, look for places that are seriously needing people to work some hours. Yes, you may end up in a job with quirks that you won't fully like, and you'll feel underpaid because the wage may not a good-looking number, but those are things that come with every single job on the planet. There is not one single job out there that will satisfy every one of your requirements or wants. You'll have to deal with a few stressful aspects, and there will be co-workers you may not get along with, but if you find your boss at a new job to be a reasonable human being that is absolutely willing to help you out, then that's what matters in the end.

Here's a quick list of things you should do to show your boss that you're worth keeping:
  • Have good work ethic. If you show up on time to your shifts, and perform your duties to the best of your ability, then there is a less likely chance of your boss(es) bullying you around.
  • If you feel stressed, let your boss know that you need to take a quick break. Don't do this too often, however, as you'll be viewed as unreliable and nobody wants to deal with that.
  • Come up with de-stress techniques to perform on the fly. Too much going on? Take deep breaths. Can't say anything nice? Just say nothing. Is there something that seems too difficult to handle yourself without making a ton of mistakes? Get the nearest manager on duty.
  • If you think there's nothing to do during slow periods, ask your boss if there's anything you can do to pass the time while still being productive. Sometimes, they may not think of anything either, and they'll just send you home early. There's only a few full-time jobs out there that make you work constantly, and they are legally required to give you at least one extended break.
What I think you SHOULD NOT do, however, is continue to let things go the way they are. You don't like how things are being done at your job, and the head guy you look up to seems unwilling to be a decent person. If you leave, don't feel guilty about putting your employer in a bad spot. It's their fault, not yours, as they failed to keep their employees happy. By quitting, you would be sending an indirect message that they need to take action on their part to prevent more of their employees from quitting and letting the business steamroll downhill. I've been guilty of this many times myself, but I know in my head that once I quit a job, they won't be contacting me again to cover anything as I am no longer under their payroll.

Feel free to take in or ignore my advice as you see fit, but I really hate seeing people here getting treated poorly in real life. Believe me, many of us have been through what you're currently going through; a few even multiple times. When I joined TBT knowing no one and them not knowing me, I just introduced myself a bit and told others here that I like this game series. I was subsequently welcomed with open arms and lots of love, and I want to spread that kindness myself to the more-established users here on this very forum. Whatever decision you decide to make with your job, just know that we've got your back.

Back