• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Toxic Words of Advice That People Give

Being told to just cut off my family because I'm queer and they dislike that stuff. So, so many reasons why I can't now and shouldn't ever have to. Person who said that to me got pissed and started acting like I was the worst person ever :v 'kay dude.

"Just think positive thoughts" is something I heard at a family dinner recently and although it had nothing to do with me, I immediately thought of this thread because it really doesn't sound like great advice... You can't force someone to be positive. You also can't force happiness, which reminds me my mom was trying to get me to smile more yesterday. Um, I'm sorry, I have health problems and suffer everyday, what do you expect from me???

Being told to just cut off my family because I'm queer and they dislike that stuff. So, so many reasons why I can't now and shouldn't ever have to. Person who said that to me got pissed and started acting like I was the worst person ever :v 'kay dude.
I never cut off my dad even though he isn’t very LGBTQ friendly and a huge Trump supporter. I didn’t mainly out of my cultural belief that the eldest (or only in my case) son helps take care of the parents and help them out in any way that they can. My dad can’t run his business without my help and I do get some benefits from helping him such as having a place to get my car repaired and serviced as needed and I get some money to pay my bills. I want to help him with the business and I’ve found ways to cope with some of my dad’s negative traits.

not sure if it's as common these days but i used to hear "you can't expect other ppl to love u if u don't love urself" thrown around a lot in the past which is so stupid

Back