• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Weight Loss Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your research on the foods you eat, it'll open your eyes. Stay away from fad diets.

There's no fast & easy way to lose weight - trust me I've tried everything. Just eat as healthy as you can, cut down on portion sizes, exercise at least 45min-1hr a day and make sure you take days off to let your muscles recover / rest.

don't starve yourself or quit foods cold turkey, you'll just get cravings
and fyi, jogging/running does very little, so don't bother

I stopped eating fast food a lot (maybe once every 1-2 weeks now?) and gradually started running/jogging everyday (not including weekends) from 2 miles up to 5-7 miles a day (you don't have to do this, I had to do this for cross country, maybe start off walking to jogging some laps to eventually miles) and I started to get in good shape after 2 months, now I know this doesn't pertain to losing weight specifically, but eating lots of healthy food everyday and getting into the routine of exercising really helped me from a person who never exercised (staying in my house all day) and got tired from going up and down stairs easily, to someone who now enjoys competitive racing! :] I also drink at least 6-8 bottles of water (if you're gonna run/excerise) everyday, lots of fruits, and never binge eat on sugar or salts! (and I do eat 3 meals a day~ breakfast is THE MOST important meal of the day, do not ever skip!)

also, don't eat late at night or eat midnight snacks, zomg they are the worst since your metabolism is the slowest ;-;

Last edited:
Find an activity that you like to do and then do it until you sweat up a good amount everyday. I guess another thing would be avoiding lunch and only eating breakfast and dinner. Oh, drinking a lot of water helps as well.
yea as others said don't skip any meals. in fact, your metabolism can improve by eating small portions of food throughout the day.

don't starve yourself or quit foods cold turkey, you'll just get cravings
and fyi, jogging/running does very little, so don't bother

This is untrue as well, running is cardio and helps burn off a lot of fat. Any sort of physical activity in comparison to a sedentary lifestyle is capable of helping you lose so much.

The easiest thing to start off with is to drink a LOT of water, and stop eating junk food.
You might need to keep track of calories, but in the end the simplest thing is to just eat more vegs/fruits and healthy proteins.
you should try cycling and running. cycling is pretty fun and good exercise! but be sure to start small if you want to start running.
also tbh I think your doctor could have given you this advice and it'd be more certified >_>

I can vouch for this, as I suffer from weight problems, skipping meals, is truly the worst thing to do. I have disorders up the hell yang because I have problems with depression and medication. So, in all I can say, do, do, DO your best, if you start a diet, to keep to it. It's really hard, and you'll find that you'll gain weight too at points.

But don't be disappointed. Just try to be healthier with choices. Try going for walks more. Walk for those play coins on your 3ds even! Wrap up a lot of the play coins for games which need them, like ACNL, and just use it to sell stuff on here even.

But what's rewarding is that you'll gain so much more confidence.

And if it's muscle, don't worry about muscle. But, you're not far too overweight, not in my opinion. But I'm not a doctor.

And also, keep those you love and love you close. They can help support you.

Drinks lots of water.... And... I'm repeating everything else that people said. But discipline yourself. Start small then go large. It's incredibly hard to quit cold turkey. I did that with smoking only because I wasn't further a long with the addiction process. But, don't resort to anything that your doctor doesn't approve of. I think your doctor should give you advice, or, go to a nutritionalist. Something.

But don't be discouraged!

Please don't skip meals. Find an activity you like, I used to be a person who hated sports (still do) and I couldn't find anything for me but after a lot of research I found the right thing for me. I can actually lift a pillow with one hand now! :eek:
About diet, don't restrict yourself too much. I'm not sure what your current diet is so I don't know what to recommend. Drink plenty of water and tea!

Most of what I did on my weightloss journey was going to the gym and eating certain things. I was going for losing huge amounts of weight at once + building a lot of muscle at the same time though. In your case you're not severely overweight, so take it slow.

Cardio/Elipticals are a great way to jumpstart your metabolism. How that all works is you need to actually build up a bit of muscle to eat away at the fat you're ingesting. It keeps your body running and eating away at what you've eaten instead of processing it into fat. If you're not doing any kind of weight lifting, I suggest avoiding super heavy proteins. It could hurt more than help.

Water has been stressed in this thread and yeah, it's one of the most important parts. You need to drink 8-10 bottles of water a day. Trust me, if you're eating right and being active it's a non-issue. I'd drink 3-4 at the gym alone.

As for eating, avoid cheeses, breads, tomatoes, and heavy sugar things. I'd stress fruit only in the mornings (your body will usually not like the sugars at night when you're trying to sleep.) but it's different strokes for different folks. I ate my heaviest meals in the morning because I knew I'd be working it off during the day, smaller meal at lunch, and smallest meal at night at least 3 hours before bed.

I'm not an enormous fan of the gym, so a lot of my exercise came from daily 2 hour binges of DDR/Just Dance for 5 days a week plus some light weight lifting/squats.

Just remember whatever you do isn't a temporary change to get your weight down. It's something you adhere to for life. It's about your health more than anything else, so you have to be ready to commit to it. Don't give up or be discouraged. It's a slow process.

I am not remotely a dietitian, but my weight has fluctuated a lot over the last year; I was a normal weight, then I lost a lot because of one kind of medication, and then put on a lot because of another kind. This might not work at all for you, but it's been my experience with controlling my weight:

It can be really difficult to take control of your weight if you don't do the food shopping or meal preparation. If you do food shopping, always be sure to only go when you're not hungry, and make sure you don't have lots of unhealthy snacky food to tempt you later.

Try not to obsess over diet; if I'm always thinking about food, I end up eating more. I've found it's best to substitute foods for healthy alternatives, like swapping red meat for fish or vegetarian alternatives, brown rice for potatoes, full-fat milk for soy.skim. Granola/cereal bars aren't really that good for you, but they're better than chocolate! You don't have to get rid of everything you love, but just try some changes and see what works for you.

What everyone's said about drinking lots of water is correct; apparently lots of the time, when people feel hungry, they're actually more likely to be thirsty. So have a big glass of water first, and then think about making a meal if you're still hungry after.

If you're not a very active person, I definitely second what umeiko said about Wii Fit. If you're self-conscious about your body, it can be hard to go running in public or join a gym, so being able to form a good exercise regime in your own home is great, and the ability to track your weight changes is very useful.

I hope that was a tiny bit useful. Good luck!!

yea as others said don't skip any meals. in fact, your metabolism can improve by eating small portions of food throughout the day.

This is untrue as well, running is cardio and helps burn off a lot of fat. Any sort of physical activity in comparison to a sedentary lifestyle is capable of helping you lose so much.

The easiest thing to start off with is to drink a LOT of water, and stop eating junk food.
You might need to keep track of calories, but in the end the simplest thing is to just eat more vegs/fruits and healthy proteins.
you should try cycling and running. cycling is pretty fun and good exercise! but be sure to start small if you want to start running.
also tbh I think your doctor could have given you this advice and it'd be more certified >_>
there are better exercises than running for burning fat and the body actually has systems that act weird with running.
1. its bad on your knees
2. your body will get used to it and become more efficient, meaning less calories burned for the same distance
3. your body will start expecting the exertion and will store more calories so that they are there to be burned

Don't eat too much, if you're really hungry you tend to overeat. Eat slowly and if you get hungry throughout the day eat a fruit or something so you aren't starving at your next meal. Eat healthy stuff, don't drink or eat too sugary stuff.

Exercise is a good thing too!! You do not have to do tough exercise every day, but light exercise is important. take walks or bike. This will make you feel better and be better for your body!!

Okay so don't skip meals that's ridiculous and won't help you lose weight. Instead, eat smaller and healthier portions of food throughout the day, don't like sit down and gorge yourself on one meal. find a physical activity that you enjoy and do it 3-5 times a week for 45 mins a day. Make sure you're working up a sweat! Also keep in mind that when you workout you have to compensate with more calories

Exercise is actually the least important aspect of losing weight. You don't need it. You will find it helps, though, and it will make your tone your body. Definitely get into that. Cardio will be best for now as you want to burn calories. Start light. Maybe walking. Then gradually increase the distance, then your pace. Do whatever you think you can do.

The most important thing is your diet. Ultimately it comes down to you eating more calories than your body burns. Everyone has a BMR, the amount of calories their body uses daily to just function. We gain weight when we eat more than this amount. You can get extra calories by doing activities that burn calories throughout the day, like exercise. You need to figure out how many calories your body needs to function. Generally, for women, this is around 1,500 - 1,800. Eat less than this. Try not to go below 1,200, but that's not set in stone. Like exercise, ease into this. First start counting your calories. Don't worry so much about what you are eating, just the numbers. Then start adding in your micros or macros, which is the other health content such as carbs and sodium. Slowly stat getting familiar with food labels and what they mean. Then start making better choices for your body.

Remember, this isn't an overnight thing. Losing weight takes a lot of time. This is months, even years, of effort. So don't expect change to happen quickly. And don't jump right in. You need to ease your way into this. The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to make this a lifestyle change. Slowly get used to new habits until they become your new normal.

When you hit the weight you want, don't go back to eating like you do now. Gradually increase your calories and adjust your micros and macros at each level. Still be aware of what you eat. You will gain it all back if you just hop off the diet.

Don't skip meals, you'll get hungry and then that will lead to a binge.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
Calculate your BMR there, I would calculate it but I don't know your age. Say if you wanted to lose 1lb a week, cut 500 calories from your BMR which gives you a calorie deficit of 3500 calories (1lb). I know 500 calories seems like a lot to cut out but eating your BMR-500cal isn't that difficult. And if you're going to exercise, try running like half an hour a day. I enjoy running more when I have some music so try and make a little playlist.

EDIT : Don't go on a low fat diet or a super low carb diet. You need carbs and you need fat. But eat the correct kinds - half an avocado or a handful of walnuts is way better than a couple squares of (non-dark) chocolate and they are similar calorie wise. Same with carbs - complex carbs are better than simple carbs like biscuits, white bread etc.

Last edited:
there are better exercises than running for burning fat and the body actually has systems that act weird with running.
1. its bad on your knees
2. your body will get used to it and become more efficient, meaning less calories burned for the same distance
3. your body will start expecting the exertion and will store more calories so that they are there to be burned

Wouldn't you have to increase your miles ran in that case? Because at that point when your body gets used to it you have more stamina to run for a longer time.
Ellipticals are easy on the knees, I used to use them a lot because my knees had issues.
I don't know if I can agree with this though, at least for me I started with track and I ran a lot as well as did exercises outside of practice for like 2 years. Went from overweight 160ish to 120-125 and have maintained this weight for years since then. (my height is 5'7 btw)
But yes, another sport like basketball or something will have a good effect on you. it's just a matter of being active and you'll start noticing a difference I believe.

But, you're not far too overweight, not in my opinion. But I'm not a doctor.
Really? They are nearly obese. 5'0 and 152 gave me 29.7 on a BMI calculator. That is not 'just a bit overweight' anymore.

But I suppose that would seem 'a bit overweight' to me too, considering most people are past obese now.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm fat :(

5'4 and 132 lbs and only twelve :(

Do your parents not notice? I think you need to go to a doctor, that could lead to obesity when you're older.

Last edited:
For the love of God, stay away from BMI calculators. BMI is horrible and inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back