• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Villagers that went from hot to not and vice versa

kemdi

Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2023
Silver Mailbox
I was wondering about this! I moved out Bob a little while ago. I gave him away instead of trading, since I thought he was popular and would go fast. He found a home, but not as fast as I thought, about 20 minutes for someone to take him. If it were Marshal or Lucky, they would've been snatched up in seconds. So that got me thinking about villagers that were popular before but not so much now, and the other way around! This isn't a complete list and please keep in mind it's just my opinions based on what I've seen and villagers I've traded! So please don't get offended! I'll give some reasons and short explanations, but the list is just based on my observations and experience. Also, just because popularity dropped doesn't mean they're the bottom of the barrel. They may still be popular, but probably just not as much as before. So I'll start with the 'Hot to Not' list:

Hot to Not:
Diana: She was part of a new species in New Leaf, and has a soft, classy, and delicate aesthetic. Every cherry blossom pink NL town had to have Diana. But it seems in New Horizons she's been sidelined in favor of Judy. A lot of new players don't even know who she is, and personally, I think the black funeral dress she's default wears when you meet her doesn't help, imo. She's getting back some appreciation, especially from past New Leaf players but not nearly as much as before.

Julian: Everyone's favorite unicorn, Julian was consistently within the most popular villagers in New Leaf. But for some reason that didn't transfer over to New Horizons. He still has his fans, but now he's more often appearing in the first or second tiers instead of the top S tier like before.

Bob: Still very popular, so I'm not even sure if he should be included here. Bob's been a top choice villager since day one and I have no idea why he's dropped. He still shows up often in the top tier, but on average, he's lower than before.

Nana: Yes Nana. Back in Wild World when you could only get her and the other monkeys from a Nintendo zone, she was once the most popular villager in the game. That carried over to City Folk, when monkeys became a normal-to-get species. But she dropped off a lot in New Leaf, and is almost non-existent outside of lower tiers in New Horizons.

Not to Hot(I'll try to keep this short):
Roald: He was always an average villager that few really thought about. Then he became a meme.

Dobie: Started as an islander in the gamecube. Came back at the end of New Leaf's lifetime. Is mostly seen as the villager everyone wants as their grandpa.

Poppy: Always cute but she was rarely noticed compared to villagers like Lolly and Marina. It seems like the promotions of her pre-game New Horizons' renders and Pocket Camp put her on notice.

Merry: I'm just guessing on this one, but it seems like what probably started as a joke ended up with a lot of people genuinely liking a genuinely cute villager.

Anyway, these are my top picks? What do you think? And I'd like to know if you have any or if you think my list is not accurate or your opinions too.

You have the remember that just because a popular villager isn't adopted right away doesn't mean they are unwanted. Because of the large playtime people have put in since March, most people who really wanted popular villagers already have them. Either from trading or buying amiibos both official and unofficial.

I do agree that Julian popularity is gone. Audie I find isn't as popular as she was at the very beginning. I don't see Audie at a lot of islands anymore.

The villager demand went down in general after a while. Majority of the players probably got their dream villagers already.

When I posted Raymond, it took like several hours before getting a buyer. Considering that he's one of the most popular villagers, I find myself in disbelief.

With the introduction of third-party Amiibo, it also affected the villager market.

I agree with Merry!!! I have Merry in my second town in New Leaf because she was a dreamie of mine because she was actually adorable, and she really was a random low tier villager nobody was looking for. I’m pleasantly surprised to see she’s actually liked so much now!

Not to Hot(I'll try to keep this short):
Roald: He was always an average villager that few really thought about. Then he became a meme.

Merry: I'm just guessing on this one, but it seems like what probably started as a joke ended up with a lot of people genuinely liking a genuinely cute villager.
I remember having Roald in WW and hating him, I think he reminded me of the Mario penguins and associated trauma ahahah.

I used to like Merry's design more in earlier games, now I feel like she got the airbrush filter lol!

My contribution - Whitney! She used to be fairly popular cause of the movie I think. Now she is just seen as a plain white wolf I think.

Ohhhh yeah!!! I remember when people wanted Whitney!!!

I remember having Roald in WW and hating him, I think he reminded me of the Mario penguins and associated trauma ahahah.

I used to like Merry's design more in earlier games, now I feel like she got the airbrush filter lol!

My contribution - Whitney! She used to be fairly popular cause of the movie I think. Now she is just seen as a plain white wolf I think.
bite your tongue! whitney is best villager and will always be on my island!

jking aside I really do like whitney and have no idea of popularity, so very well could be one of my favorite villagers nobody wants

Every villager has an amiibo card, except for the new comers. So that's the reason there were so many posts and trades looking for them. The others could easily be gotten through a card and so people didn't post about them as much. I was able to get all my NL villagers back because I had their cards from back in the NL days.

The villager demand went down in general after a while. Majority of the players probably got their dream villagers already.

When I posted Raymond, it took like several hours before getting a buyer. Considering that he's one of the most popular villagers, I find myself in disbelief.

With the introduction of third-party Amiibo, it also affected the villager market.
I agree. It’s pretty much slowed down or sometimes it’s just the timing of the post. I had Ankha as a giveaway but ended up voiding her.

i remember when Chrissy and Francine were both big, but now i dont rly see them as often. ppl would try to have both of them at the same time and i just never rly saw the appeal. they remind of a specific type of frosted cookie that i dont rly like, which is kind of a weird reason to dislike them. but its still my reason

I think Felicity has picked up some traction recently, along with Merry.

I don't see people obsessing over the "creepy" villagers like Lucky and Pietro as much as they did in NL.

A trend I've noticed is NL was bright colours 24/7, and now everyone seems to go for their 'cottagecore' natural looking villagers. Also Lazy villagers in general have crashed due to their conversation skills being hyper-focused on being gross now. Similarly in NL jocks spoke about their workouts 24/7, but now that's eased off they seem to have gained a bit in popularity.

Roald, Tank, Antonio Bill and Teddy, seem to be way more popular now than they ever were in NL.
Papi also seems to be riding high (especially as far as lazies go now!) with quite a few people I know. Back in NL I seemed to be the only person who liked him.
Agnes I was also surprised to find has been raised up a lot. I had her as a starter and found I liked her a lot more than I expected myself, but I don't remember ever really seeing or hearing about her in NL.

I'll second Chrissy and Francine falling from stardom. People still love Bubblegum k.k., but the cover stars seem completely ignored now. Pekoe also used to be in every town, and I've seen her... maybe twice in NH?
Buck, Elmer, Moe and Paolo seem to have dropped a lot too. I've seen this on peoples least wanted villager lists and my heart bleeds for them. Though the lazies I don't want in NH as I don't want to taint good memories of when they were less gross.

Personally I’d like Whitney. I just can’t find her on any island. Her or Diana. I found Raymond before them.

TBH I had no idea Dobie was as popular as he was. He was my islander on my Gamecube save and I've loved him ever since. I was psyched to see him back in Welcome Amiibo and bought a bunch of card packs in hopes I'd get to have him back. I did. Lol.

It's funny that he's everyone's cranky grandpa, considering he wasn't even a cranky until New Leaf.

I feel Pietro has gotten more popular? This might just be my observations though.
Back in NL I got him for free almost instantly, however when I was trying to get him in NH it took me months because of how competitive the "market" for him was.

I'm not sure why he suddenly got so popular outside of the crowd who already liked him. All I can think of is the fact clowns kind of became a meme and the new IT movie happened.

I see Julian was mentioned already but is no-one going to bring up Colton? He was the other popular smug horse and I saw him quite a bit in NL. Now I have yet to see a single island with him. Another villager that fell from grace would definitely be Muffy. She was one of the top most wanted Uchis. I'm guessing people don't like her with a shirt vs. a scarf.​

I also feel like Coco got more popular? I know she's always been well-liked but I feel like she's on a lot more dreamie lists nowadays!

I think some of my dream villagers from NL went up a tier.
I tend to see Felicity, Bones and Kyle on quite a few wishlists. More than I ever did during the NL era.

Cherry! I don’t think many paid her much attention until fan art of her being a cool girl came out. She seemed to suddenly pop up on the radar for folks after gaining some publicity.

I feel like Drago used to be REALLY popular and now I barely even see him mentioned. lol

And if I may make my personal contribution: Muffy used to be a constant dreamie of mine, but since the upgraded features came in to play I don't find her quite as cute as I used to. Or many sheep maybe. I used to love their little scarves!

Back